It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

Guitarmaan HB User
How long to take Prevacid?

I gradually developed GERD symptoms over about a year. And over the last month it really took off. I was run down, burning in chest etc etc. I'd already been to a doctor last year and heart problems were ruled out.

Anyway, since the condition got rather unbearable recently I started to take Prevacid and radically changed my bad diet. And it's definitely working. After two weeks on Prevacid and following GERD rules I feel almost GERD free!

But I'm wondering how long to take Prevacid for? I want everything to heal before I stop. I've taken it for two weeks so far. The label says 2 weeks is the max. Can I continue another two weeks?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
(male)

Guitarmaan HB User
Re: How long to take Prevacid?

Well I'm taking it for another two weeks regardless I guess. If there are side effects I'll found out soon enough...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
(male)

pshiels HB User

I would consider seeing a doctor for advice.

I took that drug for almost 2 years and its relativley safe. Just beware the rebound effect when you come off it.

They reccomend tapering off it gradually, otherwise you,ll have the worst heartburn ever for a few days!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

The less time you take it for the better. The rebound effect can be worse than the original reason you took it in the first place, and the longer you are on it the more likely you are to suffer from rebound. Hopefully you will be ok if you only take it for a couple of weeks. The warning on the pack is there for a reason!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

It all depends really. If your valve is knackered then there's no real cure for acid reflux, although life style changes can help. This would be losing weight, (if you need to), eating smaller meals, raising the head of your bed, and identifying trigger foods. For me, I've been on proton pump inhibitors for years and years and I believe I will always need them.

Reply Reply