It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
(male)

Labrador Man HB User
Information on PPack and GERD

Hi, this is my first post. I was talking to someone a few days ago who had suffered from GERD for quite a while. I'm also a GERD sufferer who has used ranitidine in 300-milligram prescription doses for some years, but even at that dosage it's not always effective. Anyway, the guy I was talking to said he had a lot of success with something called "PPack." He made it sound like it was a combination of different pills that he took over a few weeks and that cleared up his GERD symptoms entirely.

However, today I called my doctor to inquire about this and left a message. When his nurse called me back, she said that the doctor said that I should try PPack, and that in fact it was available over the counter. Also, she made it sound as if it was one pill, not a battery of pills as my friend had indicated. Anybody here have any experience to share with this? Thank you!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User
Re: Information on PPack and GERD

No I haven't heard of a PPack but eagerly await a response from somebody who has, since my daughter has suffered with chronic GERD for past 21 years since birth!!

If there's a pill out there that will do such a thing it's well worth it!!

I will be following the responses here in the hopes to hear more about the success of such a pill AND being available over the counter with no script is a BIG plus!!

~ Ivory

The Following User Says Thank You to Ivorygirl For This Useful Post:
Labrador Man (04-23-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

I've just been reading that prolonged use of ranitidine can result in tolerance. This could explain why the drug isn't that effective. You could try a proton pump inhibitor, but these have their drawbacks.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
(male)

Labrador Man HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaJ View Post
I've just been reading that prolonged use of ranitidine can result in tolerance. This could explain why the drug isn't that effective. You could try a proton pump inhibitor, but these have their drawbacks.
That's interesting, and could explain a lot. I have tried Aciphex, which is a proton pump inhibitor, and it did seem to work pretty well. I've decided to give the PPack a whirl, but if that doesn't work maybe it's worth trying the Aciphex again. Drawback to Aciphex is that it's pretty expensive and the ranitidine is dirt cheap, but then again if it doesn't work I might as well be getting it free! Thanks for the information.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
(male)

RL05 HB User

Is there another name for it? Looked on google and didn't find anything under just ppack.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
(male)

Labrador Man HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL05 View Post
Is there another name for it? Looked on google and didn't find anything under just ppack.
I Googled it too but couldn't come up with anything that really seemed like what I was looking for. I think I'll just go to the drugstore or maybe call my pharmacy and see if they can give me a lead on it. Will let you know what happens.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

The only thing I can think of would be something called a PrevPac and it's a prescription medication containing Prevacid, Amoxicillin, & Clarithromycin taken for a period of usually 2 weeks to treat H-pylori bacterial infection in the stomach. Maybe that's what they were referring to

Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Take a look at my thread with another member on h pylori day to day exp and symptoms

Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
(male)

Labrador Man HB User
Smile Re: Information on PPack and GERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1one View Post
Take a look at my thread with another member on h pylori day to day exp and symptoms
OK, this is the second post that I've read that mentions h pylori. My knowledge of such things might be limited, but I do know that this is a bacteria that is responsible for peptic ulcers, and what I have is not an ulcer. I've tested negative for h pylori and do not have an ulcer. I have GERD, your basic acid reflux, and have been told that Ppack is effective for that. It's possible, of course, that the drug is effective for both, so I'll have a look at your thread. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
I wonder how the Ppack will help with Gerds I have had Gerds for 9 years tried everything under the sun the only things that helps me when it flares up really bad is to go on the BRAT diet Bananas rice applesauce toast but never has my many drs mention taking it for that hmmm considering I'm on that now I must say the double daily dose of Protonix have really helped keep any at bay I was surprise well good luck hope you find relief

Reply Reply