It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

Leah1976 HB User
Help Please... I am so worried

So I went to the gastro almost 2 weeks for colon pain, diarreah and constant belching. He said IBS. I recently had tons of blood work, celiac, CT scan of abdomen and pelvis, and stool test. Everything came back normal. I was diagnosed with IBS 13 years ago. Had all tests done including 2 colonoscopies.

GI doc put me on align and bentyl as needed. My diarrhea has stopped but now I developed terrible heartburn and the belching is non stop and I feel like a have a bubble stock in my throat and I need to burp all the time, my chest is burning for 10 days. My voice is also getting raspy and I have terrible post-nasal drip. I called the nurse because I didn't have these symptoms 2 weeks ago when I saw the doc and put me on omeprazole but they want en endoscopy.

I am scheduled to have the endoscopy done this Friday and I am soooooo nervous that they will find something terrible wrong with me

Do my symtoms sound like GERD? I had occasional heartburn but never daily for 10 days in a row... tums don't help.... zantac only helps a bit.... I started omeprazole this morning but I was told it takes a week oe 2 to work.

I need to words of encouragement I am very scared

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Help Please... I am so worried

An Endoscopy is a good idea .
It's possible you might have a Hiatal-Hernia. I have one and you can suffer a lot with belching and also a feeling that your food is regurgitating.
I wish you well with the Endoscopy, they are nothing to fear, you will be sedated and wont know about it.
Acid Reflux and PND often go together.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

My opinion is that the meds caused the heartburn, and the problem is meds for heartburn can cause IBS. Vicious circle.

If it was me i would allow your body to find a natural balance, without meds, and then you wont be chasing one drug after another.

Diet and nutrition could sort out the problem without these secondary side effects.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
My opinion is that the meds caused the heartburn, and the problem is meds for heartburn can cause IBS. Vicious circle.

If it was me i would allow your body to find a natural balance, without meds, and then you wont be chasing one drug after another.

Diet and nutrition could sort out the problem without these secondary side effects.
Hi Kacyc, I am not familiar with diets for GERD.... I am familiar with IBS stuff but not GERD. Can you please give me some info on GERD diet? I TRULY appreciate it!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Leah,

You can find diets for Gerd online.
Just google Gerd Diets. Hope it helps you.

Solofelix.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi Leah

I didn't follow GERD diet as such, just healthy eating, veg, nothing spicy, nothing carbonated, no alcohol etc.

The thing is in understanding the (likely) reason. It gets labelled too quickly as GERD and then you get the GERD meds.

what actually happens when you take anti-inflams, or IBS drugs, is that they can cause indigestion or heartburn, but the clue to regaining health is in understanding why.

Those meds strip the oespophagus of the mucous coating which protects it from acid if it splashes up from the stomach. It is normal to have a small amount of acid splash up the osophagus and it is washed down again with peristalsis, and you don't know its happened normally.

when that happens once there is no protective coating is that it is agony. This is compounded by the fact that the meds also cause bloating and indigestion which increases pressure inside the stomach and pushes the stomach contents up the wrong way back through the osophagus exacerbating the problem.

The mucous coating will replace itself and you need to allow time for it to heal - it will heal. But during the healing process be very very kind to your insides. Absolutely nothing that might burn or irritate. Avoid very cold or very hot food or drink. Look up foods that heal. Cooling foods nothing hot. Melon is good, but not straight out the fridge, carrots are excellent. I'll come back if I think of more.....

Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

My endoscopy is tomorrow. My heartburn is pretty much gone since I started Omeprazole this past Tuesday. So It has been only 3 days of Omeprazole and feeling better... the burping is also better..... please wich me luck tomorrow. I hope they don't have something terribly wrong with me!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Hope all went well.
Keep us updated and glad the Omeprazole is helping you.

Wishing you well,

Solofelix.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Leah!! Good luck! Hope all went well today!!

Low Acid All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

UPDATE - Thanks for your good wishes.... everything went well. I have minor inflammation in my esophagus and a little red spot in my stomach. The doctor said it's all good news and nothing to worry about. They took a biopsy looking for H. Pylori. At this time I only need to take omeprazole for a couple more weeks and then after that only as need it basis.

I will post back when I have the biopsy results!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah1976 View Post
UPDATE - Thanks for your good wishes.... everything went well. I have minor inflammation in my esophagus and a little red spot in my stomach. The doctor said it's all good news and nothing to worry about. They took a biopsy looking for H. Pylori. At this time I only need to take omeprazole for a couple more weeks and then after that only as need it basis.

I will post back when I have the biopsy results!

Hi Leah,

So pleased it was good news for you!!...
I will watch out for your H.Pylori result. Hope that's good news as well.
I had H.Pylori myself. It's gone now.

Solofelix.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pleased to hear your good news.
Follow all the healthy eating advice and the inflammation will heal, but be sure to take care when you stop taking the meds to not immediately start introducing things that could cause a flare up.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Glad to hear that nothing serious is going on. Wonderful news! Stay well and ditto on not introducing things that will flare!

Low Acid All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

Hello, I got the results from the biopsy and it's mild gastritis with NO H. Pylory YES!!!!!

I need to keep taking the Omeprazole for now.... but now, how did I get gastritis?

Thank you all for your support!

The following user gives a hug of support to Leah1976:
CatalinaN (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

I personally believe that 80% of the population has gastritis! It's not that serious a dx. Watching what you eat as far as spicey foods ect will take care of that mild inflamation. It's GREAT NEWS that you are negative for H. Pylori!!!!

Low Acid All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now