It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
(male)

GreenTaste HB User
Dr. Kaufman diet and sinus/Eustachian tube issues

Hello,

I have heard that some people have had success controlling their LPR and gerd with the Dr. Kaufman diet, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of any kind of success with it making a difference in upper respiratory issues that might be related to acid/pepsin exposure.

I have Eustachian tube dysfunction and nasal passages that are often swollen. I realized 8 months ago that I've had silent reflux but I've been having the sinus and ET issues fore over 3 years. I understand there is a connection, but that the hard science is still out. Anyway, I was just wondering if said diet can help those problems or if they are mostly filed under 'irreparable damage.'

I wonder if any difference could be made if one were to nasally irrigate with a high alkaline solution and receive benefit? Thanks for reading. I am new here. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
(female)

my chelle HB User
Re: Dr. Kaufman diet and sinus/Eustachian tube issues

My ENT diagnosed me with LPR 6 months ago
and all the advice he could give me was to chew gum and suck on sour hard candies!

I have not tried the alkaline diet but I've been drinking the high ph water for a few weeks and haven't found any relief from that. Just a few days ago, I started drinking aloe vera gel mixed with juice and my sore throat and coughing is much improved almost immediately. Unfortunately, it's giving some gas problems but I'm thinking those might be that I'm just getting used to the aloe. Hopefully, I can get past this gassy phase because my throat and breathing and coughing is so much better.

I also have the sinus problems, mostly when I start coughing, my head seems to fill up. So along with the coughing, I'm blowing my nose and sneezing. It's a mess! I've been using one of those saline sprays in my nose, which helps a little. I might try the alkaline water to see if that works any better.

Please report on how you're doing with the alkaline diet. I'm willing to try anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTaste View Post
Hello,

I have heard that some people have had success controlling their LPR and gerd with the Dr. Kaufman diet, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of any kind of success with it making a difference in upper respiratory issues that might be related to acid/pepsin exposure.

I have Eustachian tube dysfunction and nasal passages that are often swollen. I realized 8 months ago that I've had silent reflux but I've been having the sinus and ET issues fore over 3 years. I understand there is a connection, but that the hard science is still out. Anyway, I was just wondering if said diet can help those problems or if they are mostly filed under 'irreparable damage.'

I wonder if any difference could be and made if one were to nasally irrigate with a high alkaline solution and receive benefit? Thanks for reading. I am new here. Thanks!
There's a connection with gerd and sinuses? I have gerd ringing in ears with distortion and bad sinus problems also loss of equilibrum can you explain maybe?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
(male)

GreenTaste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terlin View Post
There's a connection with gerd and sinuses? I have gerd ringing in ears with distortion and bad sinus problems also loss of equilibrum can you explain maybe?
Well, I cannot reference any hard science on it, but if its true that acid/pepsin can cause Eustachian tube dysfunction (as was the case in a 2001 experiment done on rats), I kind of jumped to the conclusion that the sinuses could also be affected. The more I think about it, the less I can remember actually reading that somewhere. Forgive me if I let my imagination run away wi me, but it seems possible, doesn't it?

I know my nasal sinus issues started two months after my ear issues began, so I presumed that whatever the root problem was started a domino affect.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Dr. Kaufman is one of the leading practitioners of treatment of LPR in the country. (USA) Her diet has a lot of merit. While I never followed it in full, there have been aspects that I did for years. I think it is certainly worth a try.

I can confirm that LPR does cause sinus problems. I had sinus 'infections' for about 8 months out of every year for many years. I always attributed it to my allergies. I ended up requiring surgery for my LPR. (Not a first choice by any means, but my issues had become life-threatening, literally.) Since my surgery in 2008, I've only had 2 small sinus infections that lasted less than 2 weeks each. Talk about a pleasant surprise for me.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
(male)

GreenTaste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Dr. Kaufman is one of the leading practitioners of treatment of LPR in the country. (USA) Her diet has a lot of merit. While I never followed it in full, there have been aspects that I did for years. I think it is certainly worth a try.

I can confirm that LPR does cause sinus problems. I had sinus 'infections' for about 8 months out of every year for many years. I always attributed it to my allergies. I ended up requiring surgery for my LPR. (Not a first choice by any means, but my issues had become life-threatening, literally.) Since my surgery in 2008, I've only had 2 small sinus infections that lasted less than 2 weeks each. Talk about a pleasant surprise for me.
Wow, talk about cool, mountainreader! Its awesome to be able point out likely connections that medicine hasn't yet understood or recognized.

I think I might try that diet out at some point

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

LPR causes many problems that Doctors don't usually connect..It is kind of scary.

Last edited by CrazyLife414; 06-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Reply Reply