It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
(female)

Sezza84 HB User
How to soothe a sore throat?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to soothe/heal a sore throat from acid reflux?

Thankyou

Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
(female)

winghall HB User
Re: How to soothe a sore throat?

I eat slipper Elm, 1 teaspoonful powder in hot water, before going to bed, you can do this 3 time/day. I gargle the throat with Sodium bicarbonate (search in this site). I eat chewing gum to salivate, saliva is alkaline. I drink alkaline water. I try not to focus on the problem to take my mind off it.
On top of those I take PPI. PPI only helps a bit say 60%.
I chew Slippery Elm tablets- I found them not very helpful though.
I sleep on a wedged bed.
And I keep an optimistic view in life - at least I try !!!! and hope that it will go away one day. My LPR started after some stressful events in life.
Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've shared this before in the past.

I've had some pretty major throat irritation problems at times.

Here is a gargle recipe my ENT gave me to help calm the throat:

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. clear corn syrup
6 oz. warmed distilled water

You gargle gently for two "long, boring" minutes then spit. He recommended not rinsing after.

He also has me do breathing exercises. When I feel the need to cough due to the throat irritation, I'm supposed to blow air out silently like I'm making the 'hah' sound. It is supposed to calm the vocal cords some.

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
CrazyLife414 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
(female)

Sezza84 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies. I have had this irritated throat on and off for a very long time, I will give these remedies a go!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

It's not always Acid Reflux which causes sore throats.
I get it one almost every morning I wake up and mine is caused by Post Nasal Drip.
Apart from sucking Strepsils the only other thing helpful has been warm milk with a teaspoon of honey in it.

Solofelix.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
(female)

Sezza84 HB User

Hi solofelix. My sore throat lasts all day so I assumed it was damage from acid? and if I am really strict with my eating and taking ppi it SLOWLY gets better. If you have post nasal drip is your nose stuffy/runny a lot of the time? I hardly have a stuffy or runny nose so never thought of post nasal drip. Thanks again for your replies

Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezza84 View Post
Hi solofelix. My sore throat lasts all day so I assumed it was damage from acid? and if I am really strict with my eating and taking ppi it SLOWLY gets better. If you have post nasal drip is your nose stuffy/runny a lot of the time? I hardly have a stuffy or runny nose so never thought of post nasal drip. Thanks again for your replies

Hi Sezza,

Yes I do suffer with both congestion and runny nose and my sore throat can last into the daytime.
It sound's like yours is different as you do not have these symptoms. But... a sore throat is painful whoever it comes about.
It is always good to hear other peoples cures for sore throats.
I wish you well.

Solofelix.

Reply Reply