It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

dewing HB User
cough that won't go away, even with antibiotics

From a sore throat 5 weeks ago, I am now left with a dry, tickly cough that just doesn't seem to want to go away. I am on my 2nd course of antibiotics (the first course was penicillin) and am worrying now in case this 2nd course won't get rid of it. I am due for a blood test next week. Should I be concerned? I've never had anything last as long as this before (nearly 8 weeks). I am a non smoker.

The following user gives a hug of support to dewing:
movielover40 (12-05-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: cough that won't go away, even with antibiotics

are you just coughing or coughing up food/acid??

If your just coughing it isn't related to GERD. Usually with GERD you will cough after eating. if your coughing and you haven't eaten in a while it's probably not GERD.

Best of luck....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
(female)

dewing HB User

I thought at first it was related to gastric reflux but it is now definitely a cough, a dry tickly one. I am hoping this 2nd course of antibiotics will work and get rid of it and have got a blood test due next week so fingers crossed I will feel 'normal' again in time for Xmas.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
(male)

rj965 HB User

dewing, since you are asking in this forum, I assume you are an acid reflux sufferer. Persistent cough is known to be one of the less common signs. Were you taking PPIs and stopped. Perhaps a dose adjustment is needed. If you can't find any other cause (allergies, asthma, smoking, etc.) it might be worth considering.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

dewing HB User

I am a reflux sufferer and now take 20mg of Omeprazole (used to be 10mg) but I am very pleased to report that after my 2nd course of antibiotics, I am now beginning to start feeling 'normal' again and the cough seems to have subsided. I have never experienced anything like this that has lasted for so long (5 weeks in total) and it all started with a sore throat which developed into hoarseness and then into a dry, tickly cough, I was starting to feel slightly worried about the persistence of it though but thanks all for listening to me :-)

Reply Reply