It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Tips Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User
Spiro - miracle for me!!

Newbie here....I have posted replies in several threads and thought I would start a new thread on Spironolactone. I have been taking this medication for 2 months and at times wanted to give up due to the headaches, many trips to the bathroom and still breaking out. I am glad I stuck with it because my skin is finally clear and glowing! You need to find a good doctor that will listen to you and not throw products at you for your acne. Hormonal acne really can not be treated by antibiotics or creams, you need to put the brakes on testosterone. I can recommed a good book The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman by Geoffrey Redmond. He has a chapter that is wonderful about homonal acne and Spiro. It may be worth looking into if you have battled acne and nothing has worked.

Last edited by kathleen0604; 05-17-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
(female)

meow_doldol HB User
Re: Spiro - miracle for me!!

I started taking Spiro 50mg twice a day a week and a half ago, and I have not seen any improvement, in fact, I am getting more cysts and my face is oiler, and my hair is getting rough. Did you experience worsening period during the first two months before it started to get better? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

I have posted in the recent past about my success with spiro. I am a 31 year old female and have had moderate acne for about 8 years or so. I desperately tried almost every pill, cream and "magic cure" out there (Except Accutane). Anyway I did some research online and decided to ask my primary doctor to let me try spiro. Well long story short I started on 25 mg a day, 8 months ago and saw some improvement after about 2 weeks. Then she bumped my dosage up to 50 mg a day and I saw a little more improvement. And now I am up to 100 mg a day and my skin is great. I can actually leave the house without makeup on if I want and not worry. I still have some spots left over from old acne, but hopefully those will fade in time. But to me it's a dream compared to the painful cysts I would get before. I will get an occassional "little" blemish around my period, but I can handle that no problem. Oh and I also have not had any side effects on this med. Well at least I don't think my side effects are from spiro. I also started taking an anti-anxiety medication around the same time and I have some sexual side effects, but I really don't think it's the spiro. I feel like I am living now...no more panic attacks and no more acne. I am able to go out and enjoy fun stuff with my kids and Hubby and I love it!

Mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 07-22-2006, 06:03 AM   #4
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaoftwinsplus1
I have posted in the recent past about my success with spiro. I am a 31 year old female and have had moderate acne for about 8 years or so. I desperately tried almost every pill, cream and "magic cure" out there (Except Accutane). Anyway I did some research online and decided to ask my primary doctor to let me try spiro. Well long story short I started on 25 mg a day, 8 months ago and saw some improvement after about 2 weeks. Then she bumped my dosage up to 50 mg a day and I saw a little more improvement. And now I am up to 100 mg a day and my skin is great. I can actually leave the house without makeup on if I want and not worry. I still have some spots left over from old acne, but hopefully those will fade in time. But to me it's a dream compared to the painful cysts I would get before. I will get an occassional "little" blemish around my period, but I can handle that no problem. Oh and I also have not had any side effects on this med. Well at least I don't think my side effects are from spiro. I also started taking an anti-anxiety medication around the same time and I have some sexual side effects, but I really don't think it's the spiro. I feel like I am living now...no more panic attacks and no more acne. I am able to go out and enjoy fun stuff with my kids and Hubby and I love it!

Mommaoftwinsplus1
Mommaoftwinsplus1,

Can I ask you if you have a history with panic attacks? I do I have hadthem since 9th grade. They come and go, like I can go a year without having one then all of a sudden get one. They were at there worst in 9th and 10th grade. And i've only had some after that. Did you experience aniexty when taking spiro. The reason I am asking is be/c the first day (today is going to be my third day when I take it in a hour) I had an aniexty attack. Ok, but this is all I am taking... at 11am I took sprio 100mgs and 2 predinose 10mgs, then at 2pm i took doxy 100mgs then at 6pm i had to take yasmin. Before I took the yasmin I had to call the dr. at target (where I got the pills) be/c I was afraid to take the bc pill be/c i was afraid to get aother aniexty attack. He said that it proably was the preidonse be/c I was n it for a week then didn't have it one day then took 2. He said I am going to still have a couple rough days with the aniexty. But I was thinking that be/c of what the side effects are on spiro... weakness, tiredness, tingling of the arms, fast or slow heartbeat. These effects are how I feel when I am having an aniexty attack so if I get these sysptoms then I already think I am having an attack so it just drags it out. When did you start taking your pills for aniexty? I was on pills in 9th and 1th grade but then went off be/c I was afraid of having to be on them for them rest of my life. I did have some aniexty yesterday but i just tried to keep myself busy. I really feel the spiro is what I need I am going to try and fight this. If I can ask what kind of aniexty med you are on then maybe I can get on it too?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Hello..Meow doldol...I just posted a reply to another thread on Spiro. My acne did get worse the first month on Spiro, but stick with it because I am clear now - no more acne. I started Spiro in March, acne got a little worse, but in May and June started to see great improvement and no more oil. Now in July my skin is glowing and clear. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Hello - Mommaoftwinsplus1 -- I enjoyed reading your posts and would say we have similar "acne" history. I battled forever with acne and Sprio is the only medication that has helped. I can also leave the house with no makeup on --that is how clear my face is and Spiro does give a beautiful glow to your skin. One thing you mentioned about the anti-anxiety med--everytime I go to my dr she asks if there has been a change in my sex drive because Spiro does have this effect since it blocks testosterone. Believe it or not women need testosterone for our sex drive. May want to tell your dr.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

Kathleen and LisaMarie,
Mommaoftwins here...sorry it's taken a while for me to get back to you. I had panic attacks before starting the spiro, so I know that it wasn't the medication that brought it on. I am on Lexapro and feel great. Although I do have some problems with a decreased sex drive. I have been blaming it on my Lexapro but who knows it could be the spiro. I have never heard that spiro can cause that.

My panic attacks started about a year ago. And I have been on medication for them for about 5 months or so. At first when I started getting attacks I would look up my symptoms on the internet and freak myself out. I was having similiar symtpoms to heart attack symptoms. Dizzy, lightheaded, shortness of breath, unable to concentrate or focus. Just really not feeling right. Well my doctor said it's probably anxiety. So after 2 weeks into the medication I felt great.

So the anxirty medication along with the spiro have really changed my life. I can enjoy spending time with friends and family. Anyway I know this is an acne board, so sorry about going on and on about my anxiety.

Mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
(female)

Skoobi HB User

I think your posts are very helpful. Acne causes stress and stress causes acne.

I'm waitng on new insurance to kick in. I'm deffinatly going to ask about spiro!

Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
(female)

meow_doldol HB User

Hi, Kathleen0604, thanks for much for your reply. This is my second week and I got a new huge cyst on my chin, and its discouraging, but I will stick to it for a couple of months. Thanks, again for sharing your experience!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User

meow doldol....please dont give up...the first month was hard for me too. I used Aqua Glycolic cleanser which helped with clearing my face until the Spiro kicked in. Have you noticed yet that your face is less oily? I think my face was totally oil free after the first month, but like I said it took 3/4 months for my face to be totally clear!! Seems like 100mg is what works for me...I go back to my dr tomorrow and she said that if all is good, she will write Rx for another year for the 100mg. Looking back I feel like the time went fast and it was all worth it, but I know in the beginning when you are still breaking out each day seems like forever. Hang in there..you will post in October your success story on Spiro!!!

Old 07-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

I have been on spiro for 10 days lol I am counting the days anyway and my acne is at it's worst I have never had acne this bad before. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else? If there is an intial breakout?

Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie982001
I have been on spiro for 10 days lol I am counting the days anyway and my acne is at it's worst I have never had acne this bad before. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else? If there is an intial breakout?

I was told by the dermo that there is no inital breakout. Maybe it varies though. Did they test u for high androgens or do u have any signs of hirsutism? I'm sure your Dr. will tell u to give it some time or bump up your mgs. I do remember though that it took about 3 months to help me, so dont stress if you arent seeing results yet.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarajukuGurl2005
I was told by the dermo that there is no inital breakout. Maybe it varies though. Did they test u for high androgens or do u have any signs of hirsutism? I'm sure your Dr. will tell u to give it some time or bump up your mgs. I do remember though that it took about 3 months to help me, so dont stress if you arent seeing results yet.
No they didn't test me for anything we really think my acne is hornmonal. I am on 100mgs spiro per day for acne.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:10 PM   #14
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User

I did have an initial breakout period on Spiro, my acne did get worse the first month. I have been on Spiro for 4 months and my face is clear!! I noticed improvement by the second month. This med is slow working, so you should see improvement by the 2nd or 3rd month. Don't give up, it does take awile for your body to adjust to the Spiro, but it has been a miracle for me.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
(female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Kathleen can I ask you what birth control pill you are taking if any? I have just started taking yasmin (about 3 weeks in now). Do you think this is a good bc pill to be on?

Closed Thread