It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Tips Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
I'm a 40 y.o. woman, and diet changes are what finally got rid of acne for me!

I just wanted to share my story, I'll try to be as brief as I can. If it helps one person out, I'm happy.

How many times have we heard that diet has nothing to do with acne/zits/whatever ? Many, many times. I know hormones can play a huge role, stress, and other stuff... but for me, it seems to be largely diet related!

I was on antibiotics for years, the BC Pill, a low fat diet, topical stuff from the derm -you name it. They helped, but never was my skin this good. FINALLY!!

So I'm almost 41. And my skin is finally clearing up after changing my diet. The changes I have made:

Less carbs/Different carbs. Switched to Sprouted and Whole Grain breads and pastas. I try to eat nuts for snacks most times, instead of my old fave "baked Doritos" and other high carb/low fat snacks.

Cut out most dairy - I switched to Rice & Almond Milks instead of cow. Don't each much yogurt either. But I still love my cheese I've heard that the hormones in milk products can cause breakouts for some.

Cut out most commercial sweets (candy bars, twinkies, cookies) - now I keep a big bar of good Organic chocolate in the cupboard; I also buy things like granola bars & other sweet treats that are made without hydrogenated oils, etc. I love my sweets!

Basically I try to avoid: Hydrogenated Oils, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Preservatives, Artifical Colors, and any ingredients that I can't pronounce.

Believe me, I still enjoy a pizza, nachos, a Twinkie. I never go hungry, and I still give in to cravings, just in different ways. I changed my shopping habits - shop in the "Organic" aisle, you'll be surprised at the yummy stuff! I buy the "All Natural" Cheetos and they are awesome.

Over the holidays, I ate lots of the chocolates, cookies, as well as other highly processed stuff - and my skin looked awful for the entire time.

I know this won't apply to everyone - but maybe it can help somebody who feels that they have tried everything else.

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Inactive

lindamh HB User
Re: I'm a 40 y.o. woman, and diet changes are what finally got rid of acne for me!

Me too. At 41. I also take supplements and took zinc and saw palmetto for about a year before finally listening to diet advice. Those supplements made me a lot less oily and my face mostly clear.
But the diet made me completely clear.

I still eat dairy. For me, it was the sugar. And I'm not that strict about it either. I still indulge in some sweets, bread, pasta, etc, but if I'm going to eat it and risk acne, it needs to be damn good. And most commercial stuff isn't that good.

Last edited by lindamh; 01-11-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Inactive

lindamh HB User
Re: I'm a 40 y.o. woman, and diet changes are what finally got rid of acne for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosolizard
I just wanted to share my story, I'll try to be as brief as I can. If it helps one person out, I'm happy.

How many times have we heard that diet has nothing to do with acne/zits/whatever ? Many, many times. I know hormones can play a huge role, stress, and other stuff... but for me, it seems to be largely diet related!
Hormone production is stimulated by glucose.

Closed Thread