It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2003, 06:05 AM   #1

Christi602 HB User
Thumbs up Special way to take Accutane...good results

I have been on Accutane 3 times in my life...I'm now 25 years old. My acne is mild/moderate. My derm. said that I have severely oily skin and there is a special way to take accutane and it will not only help your acne, but will dramatically decrease the side affects as well.
I started taking 40mg of accutane once every two weeks. Once I was clear I now take it once every month. I have zero side affects...no dry lips/eyes, etc. Not only does this work VERY well, but the accutane packs last a lot longer. I have over a years supply left now.
What I would reccomend is that all accutane users take it everyday/every other day until you get clear...then slowly cut back to once/week to every other week and so on. My doctor did say you have to at least take it once per month to maintain results.
The vitamin A in the accutane takes a long time to rid your system and that's why it works.

This should also help with the cost of accutane as well....you don't have to buy as much so often.

Hope this helps you all out there on accutane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2003, 02:15 PM   #2

cutetexan HB User
My derm actually mentioned this to me. she said she would put me on 40 mg 3 times a week, for another 5 months, once I complete my course, to keep me clear hopefully forever . She said it is safe to do so. i wouldn't mind taking accutane forever actually, as long as I am clear, I wouldn't mind! But good advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #3

supa HB User
WOW.. me too. I guess this is something alot of derms are starting to do. My derm said basically the same. Start at 3 a week then one a week. I think that once the acne is clear u just have to maintain a bit so that your pores stay clean and thus no bacteria can form. Plus at that low dosage I think accutane is totally safe for a long period. I just have one question .. I have some slight scarring I would like to fix. Now since I am going to be doing the low dosage can I wait say a year and then still do procedures while on a super super low dosage??

Old 02-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #4

Sparkle0036 HB User
man you're lucky...i asked my derm if she would do this at the end of my course, and she went blabbing about possible long term side effects...she is SO over cautious

Old 02-21-2003, 10:40 PM   #5

rocksteadyk HB User
what do you think a good dose like this would be for someone coming off a high dose of accutane for 5 months. maybe 20mgs a week for a while then eventually dropping to only taking it monthly?

k

Old 02-27-2003, 05:54 PM   #6

cherrygurl HB User
So you couldn't get pregnant or anything either, ya? I only have a month left, and I want to stay clear forever, so I am considering doing it too. I could stretch this last batch of pills to last me over a year too...but if I wanted to have a baby, I should stop for a month, then concieve and don't take it until my kid is not breastfeeding...just a weird question. Please respond with any suggestions aloha

Old 02-28-2003, 09:52 AM   #7

Christi602 HB User
I would make sure you don't get pregnant while taking a monthly dosage. Actually, stopping it for a month prior getting pregant bothers me too...I would wait at least 6 months to make sure it is completely out of your system. Like my doctor said...it's a high concentrate of vit. A, it stays with you for some time.

I'm still using it once per month...40 mg. It works great...my face has a normal ph balance. It stills gets a little shiney at night before I wash it...but at least this is controling my breakouts.

Closed Thread