It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
Inactive

sushieater1 HB User
Post Pop pimple or no? Honest opinions!

I know the right thing to say and all the websites and professionals say dont pop a pimple-
But does everyone notice that if you pop it it goes away ten times faster and looks a lot better once its popped?
I read on a website too that there's a right way to pop pimples, like if there's a white head on it, or there's a certain way it looks when you can pop it- or even when its still cystic, theres a way to do it...
I sure as hell know I pop my pimples all the time.

Come on, some honest opinions.

Old 03-02-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
I only pop my pimples if its one of those huge suckers with a BIG head on it that sticks out like sore thumb.I try not to touch any small ones cause they are not as noticable and I wait till they dry up and fall off on their own.The reason why is when you pop them it spreads the bacteria and causes the surrounding tissue to breakout in lots of little pimples.And no matter HOW sanitary you are before and after popping it still happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Inactive

sushieater1 HB User
right... my problem is that i never know if my pimple is still too raw to pop because i never really have that white head on it... For example, i have 2 HUGE pimples on my forehead right now. Yesterday, i just gave one of the pimples a little squeeze and a lot of pus came out... (big pimple is still there but better now)and today I tried popping the other pimple and a very very teeny amount of pus came out and i dont consider it popped at all... So how the hell would i know when or when not its ready to be popped???

Old 03-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran

Testament HB User
Yeah, basically popping pimples spreads the infection and increases the chance of scarring.

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2003, 05:34 PM   #5

guychan HB User
i think it all depends on where the pimples are located and what state. any pimples that has the small white head at the tip, i pop and they go quick. IT if have red pimples on my cheek i try to leave them alone,cause that is thin skin ther and marks easily. Forhead stuff, nose stuff i usually just pop. But yes the ones that it is hard to tell, i just squezze a little bit. if stuff starts to come out, i then just squeeze it all out and they actually seem to heal quicker.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:14 PM   #6

CocaCola HB User
If I have a pimple and there is a white head on it then I'll definitely pop it. If after a few squeezes nothing comes out, then I may just leave it alone (depending on what the pimple looks like).

I have also popped pimples that don't have a noticeable whitehead. These are ones that I have to pick at to break them open. Then I'll squeeze them until hopefully puss will come out. (I usually only do this if it is one of those painful blemishes)
I have never broken out near a place where I have just squeezed nor have I had any long lasting scars from squeezing or picking. Sometimes I find that if I let a pimple heal on its own, a red mark will stay longer.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
Inactive

sushieater1 HB User
Yes, thats my point exactly. it seems like its better to pop... I thought i was the only one...
Today i put BP on my pimple in the morning and by tonight, there was a whitehead on it. I popped it but there's still a pretty hard bump. Perhaps half is still raw? or is it just the blood under the original pimple? Its pretty red, and I put more BP on it. hopefully it will go down and not be as red tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2003, 08:31 PM   #8

JImmyJam HB User
oh yes... I def pop mine... if I dont the pimple will be active for weeks... I dont get pitted scars ever so I dont mind poppin them... I also feel relieved after popping them.. .I usually put bp on top until it white heads and then pop the sucker... sometimes however it needs multiple popings as bac grows back... those are pain in the assssss

Old 03-02-2003, 08:53 PM   #9

heartsicle HB User
It really depends on your skin type. I have very sensitive skin, so any kind of popping/picking/fooling around leaves a dark, almost crimson mark. If I just leave it alone, it does take longer to go away, but I only have a faint reddish/pinkish mark to deal with, and no scar. My roommate pops her zits all the time on her cheek, and they never scar and heal nicely, so I guess her skin is tougher than mine?

Old 03-02-2003, 10:07 PM   #10
Inactive

sushieater1 HB User
I think thats a good point... Also, different parts of my face has different skin sensitivity... if there were a pimple on my cheek, i might be more reluctant to pop it since its more sensitive. By my forehead heals quick... weird.

Old 03-03-2003, 07:17 AM   #11
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
you really shouldn't pop. I know it's easier said than done, but ask anyone with scarring, and they'll tell you that they wish they never popped--I'm one of those people.

I know a lot of you say you don't scar, and that's great, but if you keep popping, you have great odds of changing that.Just remember, a pimple goes away, but a scar is forever. There is no procedure to eliminate scars, only improve them, and I've done a lot of research on this subject. If you're not careful you'll clear up your acne, but be on here posting for scar treatments in five years.

Finally, as you age, scars start to show up that you didn't realize you had due to loss of collagen and skin elasticity. I know, I didn't believe it either, but it seems to be true. So, maybe now you don't see any scars, but in your 30's you might. Just something to reflect on when you're deciding whether you should pick.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 03-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #12
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Okay, honestly, when a pimple has a massively throbbing whitehead at the tip, I'd much rather pop it. I agree that it makes it go away faster. Then I just let my AHA got to work on the leftover mark.

Here's my technique: *I ONLY do it if it is really ready to pop.* Then I use the steralized end of an extractor (the lancet end), and gently puncture the tip. This way, I do not have to pick at it, the surrounding skin doesn't get as bruised or damaged, and I don't have to squeeze nearly as hard. Everything just sorta comes out, without being too graphic.

THEN comes my *magic touch*: immediately after everything is drained, I slap a big blob of Queen Helene Mint Julep mask on it and leave it over night. I swear, by the next morning everything is absolutely sucked out of that thing, and it is usually already flat as a pancake.

Closed Thread