It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #1

Killjoy HB User
Red face Chemical Peel gone wrong - help!!

I'm really freaked out about this - I had what the guy said was a very mild peel (a sensi peel or something)and there wasn't supposed to be any real complications. I had it on Friday night and was told to leave it on for approx 2 hours and wash it off before going to bed. When driving home it was stinging like hell but I thought that was normal. Anyways, the next morning I wake up and my face is a mess. Below my eye area it's really red and scaly and appears to be burnt, also my forehead appears to have chemical burns as well!!! I went to see him yesterday and he said it isn't burnt, but somehow I don't feel comfortable with his answer. I'm really scared that these could be serious burns and may leave scars. I think I'm gonna go and see a doctor tomorrow cuz i'm extremely worried. Has anybody had this reaction with a peel and has your skin healed after a couple of days?? Please, any answer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #2

CocaCola HB User
Killjoy, I'm sorry about your experience. I've never had any peels and I've never heard of the one you got. Did you get it done at the derms office? My mom had a series of peels done and they were only left on for about 15 minutes. They were Glycolic peels I think. If you had this done at a doctors or dermatologist I wonder why you are responsible for taking it off? I know some people have reactions to peels but yours sounds serious. I hope things are okay, and if you are concerned definitely go see a doctor asap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
How bad does it look? Things like this are usually temporary...on tv I saw someone get a profesional laser peel done and right after, she looked like she had bubbled, fried crusty skin.

Is the purpose of peels and laser things like this to have a fresh layer of skin?

Old 03-02-2003, 08:51 PM   #4

miss acne HB User
don't worry this is probably the norm( can' t see you) I've had some chemical peels and what your saying sounds pretty normal good luck and keep your lubricated

Old 03-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #5
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Go see an M.D.

Who did this procedure for you? Was he a a Dr.? If he messed up your skin, you should take action, so that he can't hurt other people.

I'm so sorry, and hope it gets better.

Definately take vitamins that promote skin/wound healing. Vit's C, E, and zinc...and a multi-vitamin.
Be certain the multi doesn't contain Iodine, and take no more than 400IU of E, and no more than 50 mg. of zinc a day, as these can be toxic in higher doses.

Also, you may want to apply jojoba oil to your skin to keep it lubricated--you don't want to scab, bc that can cause scarring. If you Do scab, absolutely do NOT pick it, or you're certain to scar. If you can't get jojoba, use bacitracin ointment(you can get it at the drugstore). That's what my PS was going to have me put on my face for my post-op dermabrasion.

Good Luck

Keep us posted.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 03-03-2003, 12:55 PM   #6

beat_acne HB User
Hi killjoy,

Well just last week, I had a similar experience. I was doing my usual at-home glycolic peel, which I've done several times before. This time, I forgot all about it, and when it started burning I ignored the sensation thinking it was the usual. I was so wrong, I have a few patches of burns now. But I am not psyched out right now because I think I am recovering well. First, apply neosporin or any antibiotic cream on it. Avoid petrolatum products ( vaseline, aquaphor).
In a day or two scabs will form. Don't pick at them.

Once they have fallen off, apply Mederma or something like CP serum on it, so you don't develop scars. Mine are getting much better. After a couple of weeks, I'll resume my at-home peels again, and that will help to fix these affected areas.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:49 PM   #7

Killjoy HB User
Hey guys, thank you all for the input! I had to take the day off work today because I didn't want to be seen with scabs and flaking skin (what a pretty sight I am). Actually, the scabs below the eye have almost all peeled off but the burns on the forehead still seem pretty bad. It's so hard to resist peeling the skin off - like it's beckoning me to rip it off! But I'll try to resist the temptation. Actually, I have been putting vaseline on the affected areas, why is it bad to use vaseline? I also applied polysporin so I hope that helps. I didn't go to the doctor, I'm hoping that it will heal on it's own (fingers crossed) and not scar. I've had just about enough of acne - at 25 and suffering since the age of 14 hasn't done much for my outlook on life.

Old 03-04-2003, 07:47 AM   #8

Bobbi HB User
Relax. That's what a chemical peel is supposed to do. Just DO NOT PULL THE SKIN OFF!!! This is crucial. If you pull the skin, you will scar your skin permanently. But if you let it peel by itself, it will leave a nice new skin where your old one was - you'll be Ok, just be patient. Dip your face in cold water every once in a while (like hourly since you're taking time off), this will help the peeling to speed up. Good luck.

Closed Thread