It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2003, 11:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Question Zinc Sulphate 200 mg

I am just about to recieve some zinc sulphate tablets 200mg that i ordered from a health store and would like to know if anybody else has taken these with success in the past for acne?
I discovered from reading in a magazine that this is or was what some doctors prescribe for acne along with antibiotics,apparantley the zinc can help the antibiotic to work better?does anybody have any information regarding this,as the leaflet that came with my minocin mr antibiotics suggests that you shouldnt take zinc supplements at the same time of day as the minocin.
id be gratefull for any replies as the zinc should arrive tomorrow and im desperate to clear up a couple of spots that i seem to have had for ages now.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:49 PM   #2

smg36 HB User
I was advised when on Tetracycline (antibiotic) that I shouldn't take zinc supplements at all. It somehow counteracts the antibiotic, they simply don't work well together. I would ask your own doctor for definite advice (or at LEAST follow the directions on the pamplet) I for one wouldn't use both zinc and an antibiotic because I would be too scared that since they counteract each other I would end up with NO results. But do what you think is best and a quick phone call to your doctor should be all it takes to decide. And zinc sulphate is a wonderful topical that my australian friend uses just in case you'd like that option. She uses a liquid form of the Zinc, but others have told me that you can crush up the pills and mix with water to create your own topical. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2003, 12:54 PM   #3

smg36 HB User
I also pulled this up from a website about zinc/antibiotic interactions.
"Antibiotics
Zinc may decrease the absorption of oral quinolones, a class of antibiotics that includes ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, and levofloxacin, as well as tetracycline antibiotics (including tetracycline, doxycycline, and minocycline)."

For more information just do a Google search for Zinc and Antibiotics. All the of the info I say states that they don't work well together. Hope this helps. (ps. I've been on antibiotics and zinc at separate times and neither did any wonders. I hope one or the other works for you though!!!)

Closed Thread