It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2003, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
Can you avoid the initial breakout with Retin-a micro?

My derm told me to use Retin-A micro every third night and then every other night for about a month and then do every night the following month to help my skin slowly get used to it. WIll this help me skip the initial breakout, or maybe just prolong it? Anyone tried this or know any other way to try and skip the initial brekout with Retin-A?

Also, my biggest problem with these medications is that I can't make it through the bad breakout period - it gets SOOO much worse and I get bad scarring, only when I'm on acne meds. Anyway, how long should I give Retin- A micro before i give up and think that it'll just make me worse forever.

Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 AM   #2

ol'lady HB User
Re: Can you avoid the initial breakout with Retin-a micro?

exactly what I was wondering

anybody able to do it?

My son was told to apply retin-a micro .04% every other night for 2 weeks, then nightly thereafter. He is on benzaclin in AM and mino twice a day also(for the past 2 months). The nurse at the derms office seemed to think that I shouldn't be concerned about an initial breakout from this, although I read all kinds of horror stories on here. With the gradual use of it along with other meds-- I was hoping all these factors would help.

Last edited by ol'lady; 12-09-2003 at 05:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran

Neca HB User

Can you guys tell me why so many of you breakout from Retin-A? How much are you putting on your face? You shouldn't be putting more than a pea-sized amount on your face or on areas that require it because this stuff is potent! Are you using it to fade out discolourations or to combat severe acne?

And the only reason why I can think you would break out is because your skin does not like the product and it is damaging it?? I have Retinova (to fade discolouration) but have yet to use it as I am still researching about it. So many derms tell me that it is strong and if you use incorrect amounts it can cause skin cancer.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:42 AM   #4

ol'lady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
Can you guys tell me why so many of you breakout from Retin-A? How much are you putting on your face? You shouldn't be putting more than a pea-sized amount on your face or on areas that require it because this stuff is potent! Are you using it to fade out discolourations or to combat severe acne?

And the only reason why I can think you would break out is because your skin does not like the product and it is damaging it?? I have Retinova (to fade discolouration) but have yet to use it as I am still researching about it. So many derms tell me that it is strong and if you use incorrect amounts it can cause skin cancer.

I have read info from the retin-a micro website that it is quite normal to breakout the first few weeks of use. And I think they meant everyone, even those that use it exactly as directed. Although, they didn't say it would be severe, and it should only last for 2-3 weeks. He is using it for acne, which is still coming every few days (like some kinda cycle). I was just hoping that with the use of antibiotics and topicals, and the gradual introduction of this on my son's skin, he could avoid a bad breakout. And he is using a very, very small amount.

But, like I stated in the previous post, the nurse at the derm's office didn't think he'd have a problem---so who knows what's normal?

He also used Tazorac exactly as directed, but I've never seen anything to beat the breakouts he had from that for 7 weeks, until he stopped using it!

Last edited by ol'lady; 12-09-2003 at 06:57 AM.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'lady
I was just hoping that with the use of antibiotics and topicals, and the gradual introduction of this on my son's skin, he could avoid a bad breakout. He also used Tazorac exactly as directed, but I've never seen anything to beat the breakouts he had from that for 7 weeks, until he stopped using it!
Are you sure your son needs all this on his skin and in his body? The body's system, with all these topicals/antibiotics/steroids, just cannot cope. One thing I realised is that the more products you use, the worse you get..or the more damage you cause. For example: what should you do when you have a headache? The best cause of action is to have one maybe two paracetamols. If that doesn't work it doesn't mean you should go and take another two, then have a few aspirins and maybe throw in some Ibuprophene just to make sure. If you did this you would probably vomit..why? Because the body cannot cope with all these medicines.

My advice is try and go a bit easy on his skin. Let it breath, only wash once a day with a cleanser in the evening(or whatever you want to clean it with) and once in the morning with just some water. Try not to have too much cream on during the night aswell. As for antibiotics, I do not touch them. How exactly bad is your son's acne? Does he suffer from mainly whiteheads,blackheads,boils etc.? Scarring? Inflammation? What is his diet like?

Old 12-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User

Hi colorado,

I have been using RAM for 11 months. I was breaking out when I originally started using it, so an intial break out I could not really identify, if there was one at all. I DID experience considerable dryness, even though I was careful not to over-apply. It did take a good 3 months( 12 weeks) b4 I saw results.

I will continue to use it always, as it has helped to keep me under control. Good luck on your decision.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:05 PM   #7

ol'lady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDeeWith3
Hi colorado,

I have been using RAM for 11 months. I was breaking out when I originally started using it, so an intial break out I could not really identify, if there was one at all. I DID experience considerable dryness, even though I was careful not to over-apply. It did take a good 3 months( 12 weeks) b4 I saw results.

I will continue to use it always, as it has helped to keep me under control. Good luck on your decision.

DeeDee- I knew you had good results from the RAM-I've read most of your posts! I feel like he can continue using the RAM if it works, until he has outgrown this mess. What other meds are you using now?

Neca, I agree with you. I don't like for him to use all these meds, but his acne is severe (with cysts) and the derm must think we need to take an agressive approach. Although it has improved over the past 2 months with their use. He just used Carley's Clean & Clear for about 2 months before all of this other, but he just kept breaking out. He didn't want to go on accutane, so this is what the derm recommeded. I hope he doesn't have to stay on the antibiotic for too long. If the RAM shows some improvement, maybe we can soon start tapering off on some of the other stuff.

Last edited by ol'lady; 12-09-2003 at 03:07 PM.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'lady
DeeDee- I knew you had good results from the RAM-I've read most of your posts! I feel like he can continue using the RAM if it works, until he has outgrown this mess. What other meds are you using now?

Neca, I agree with you. I don't like for him to use all these meds, but his acne is severe (with cysts) and the derm must think we need to take an agressive approach. Although it has improved over the past 2 months with their use. He just used Carley's Clean & Clear for about 2 months before all of this other, but he just kept breaking out. He didn't want to go on accutane, so this is what the derm recommeded. I hope he doesn't have to stay on the antibiotic for too long. If the RAM shows some improvement, maybe we can soon start tapering off on some of the other stuff.
i have started using Retin-A over well i started using it on monday..reading all these horror stories..its just bull, sorry, but it is, this product does NOT cause you to breakout, doctors wouldn't prescribe something like that anyway, its effects are almost instantaneous at least thats what ive learned..i have broken out over the past few days..not even badly but because i ate peanuts which i have bad reactions too, anyway Retin-A and Antibiotics work very well for acne, although im supposed to use it 2x a day i only use it overnight and use clearasill during the day.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:51 AM   #9

SUFFERING654 HB User

If your referring to retin-a micro, I've never heard of an instantaneous success story with it nor should you because of the way the product works. Most perscription acne products DO cause you to breakout once. It's just like the saying goes "Things get worse before they get better." My dermatologist warned me that my skin would become somewhat inflamed and that I would have atleast a minor breakout with retin-a but then things would improve. Check the Retin-a micro website. Even they say that things will appear to get worse before the retin-a starts to work effectively. Maybe you lucked out and your skin just tolerated the medicine very well, but just the same you can't discredit "horror" stories just because it didn't happen to you. Everyone's skin is different. Hopefully you'll luck out and have no problems with the retin-a micro causing the severe discomfort is caused some of us.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User

for ol'lady,

I am presently using RAM and Finacea gel at night. I cleanse in the am with Plexion wash. At night I use Dove foaming wash to cleanse the face well prior to my topicals. I originally was taking Minocin when I was first put on RAM, but have discontinued it on my own and staying clear on my other stuff. Good luck to you as well.

Old 12-10-2003, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex773310
i have started using Retin-A over well i started using it on monday..reading all these horror stories..its just bull, sorry, but it is, this product does NOT cause you to breakout, doctors wouldn't prescribe something like that anyway, its effects are almost instantaneous at least thats what ive learned..i have broken out over the past few days..not even badly but because i ate peanuts which i have bad reactions too, anyway Retin-A and Antibiotics work very well for acne, although im supposed to use it 2x a day i only use it overnight and use clearasill during the day.
Vortex you cannot base your opinion on just three days of using RAM. Today is Wednesday and you started on Monday? Well wait a week or two then please update us on how the cream is working for you.

Secondly, yes antibiotics work well for acne. Noone said otherwise. However the point that needs to be made is that a/bs have one potential positive effect (i.e. clearing acne as much as possible) but also several potential side-effects which, in the long term, could damage your body several times more than acne.
An antibiotic is not a preventative measure against acne, it only temporarily "cures" you. When you stop using them, the chances are you acne will return. Plus there is also the disadvantage of your body becoming so used to them that it becomes resistant and the a/bs no longer work.

SUFFERING654
Quote:
Maybe you lucked out and your skin just tolerated the medicine very well, but just the same you can't discredit "horror" stories just because it didn't happen to you. Everyone's skin is different.
...Sufferings you hit the nail right on the head. Vortex some many people on this board have suffered so much as a result of this skin problem. The reason why you would think they are lying is beyond me...the stories on here are personal accounts which is what makes this messageboard so helpful. If you want to know what a product does, this is the place to come to.

Closed Thread