It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2003, 03:10 PM   #1

Rosie20 HB User
Question Should I make the switch?

Hey, everyone! Here's my story:

Six months ago, I had perfect skin and it had been like that my whole life(I am 20 yrs old). Then, in September, I got off the birth control pill (Orthocyclen) because my boyfriend and I had broken up in June. Two months later: small breakouts started to occur. Then, I met a new guy, went back on the same pill in November and also at the same time underwent Emergency Contraception. Since then, I have majorly struggled with breakouts. I went to the dermatologist and she put me on Doxycyline, Differin cream, and Benzaclin, which was awful at first but 8 weeks later has helped clear things up a bit (except for a few scars ...)

Now, my derm. wants to switch me to Ortho-Tricyclen, but I think what initially brought on the acne attack was hormone changes in my body. Should I make this swich? She also thinks I should dump Differin and go with Tazorac, but I'm nervous about that, as well. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks, everyone-- reading the messages on this board has helped me not feel so alone while I endure this battle.

Old 03-08-2003, 03:27 PM   #2

SpangledWinter HB User
Hey Rosie. Your story is almost exactly like mine. I went off Ortho in Dec 2001. Started breaking out in May 2002. I went back on the pill in Sept 02 to try to get my skin back to where it was when I was on the pill the first time. Unfortunately it never got back to that. Before I went on the pill the first time and during it, I had really nice skin. These last 9 months have been hell on my face though. I dont think going back on ortho is the answer for you. Who knows, it may work. But it didnt for me..Im thinking of trying Yasmin. Alot of the women who post on here have had great results with that. I think my acne may be hormonal though. Well anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread