It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2003, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User
Spironolactone

Hey guys-
My dermatologist just gave me a prescription for spironolactone. I am also on Yasmin and have been for 4 months. My acne is very very mild and mostly on my chin about a week before my period. I am excited about the spiro, but I've noticed that a lot of people on the boards are taking 100 mg. My derm. prescribed 50 mg once a day. Is this going to be enough to see results?? I am a small person, only 5'6" and 110 pounds, so could that be why I am not taking much? Also, my dermatologist didn't say anything about the spiro and Yasmin together, but I know they both increase potassium levels. Is that something to worry about? He didn't say a word about getting blood tests. Thanks.
latayy

Old 11-28-2003, 09:03 PM   #2

thick skin HB User
Re: Spironolactone

I've been on spiro for almost a month now, and it's working out just fine. My face is clearing, but I'm not sure if that's from the spiro yet or the topicals. I am, however, getting a blood test done on Tuesday at my doctor's request to check my potassium levels. Also, I don't believe you should be on both Yasmin and spiro at the same time; I think it's one or the other. I am on birth control, but it's something other than Yasmin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2003, 03:42 PM   #3

LitaMS HB User

Hi, I read on a web site that deals with hormone questions that going on the birth control Yasmin was equal to taking only 25mg of Sprironolactone, you need at least 100mg I believe to be effective.
Good luck.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

Ok so if yasmin is equivalent to 25 mg spiro and I am taking 50 mg of it as well, I guess it is okay to be taking both at the same time. I'm assuming my derm. who is the head guy at his practice would tell me if it was a dangerous combo. He told me that i don't need to see him until the end of next semester (May 2004) if everything goes well. This is confusing because he never once mentioned a blood test to check my potassium levels!

Old 12-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #5

matahari HB User

Did Spiro make you break out at first? I really want to try it, but I'm afraid of a horrible initial breakout!

Also... do you have to be on a certain kind of BCP? I notice alot of women on this board take Spiro & Yasmin. I'm on OTC-Lo... would I need to change?

Old 12-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

No, spiro doesn't make you break out at all. I have only been on it for about 5 days and I already notice less oil by the end of the day and my chin is a lot better which is where I normally break out. AND it's even the week before my period..amazing. Anyways, you can take any bcp with spiro so you could stay on the otc-lo. Some people have said that Yasmin has some spiro in it (equal to 25 mg) but when I asked my dermatologist he said Yasmin wasn't the same thing. I haven't been on it for very long but I have heard great things so I would recommend it..especially since there is no initial breakout!!

Old 12-02-2003, 10:40 PM   #7

thick skin HB User

Yes, don't bother changing your pill once you start spiro. I use Trivora as my bcp and didn't want to change as it works well for me. I'm taking 50mg of spiro/day, and I'm liking it very much. I had a follow up visit with my derm today, and he thought I was looking really good, too. He's keeping me at 50mg since that seems to be working just fine. He did make me get a blood test to check my potassium levels as this can be an issue with spiro. I am in the normal range thankfully. In three months, he will make me get another blood test before refilling spiro again. He doesn't think it will be anything to worry about, but too high of potassium levels could be very dangerous, so he just wants to monitor it initially to be on the safe side, which I appreciate very much. (What good is beautiful skin if you're dead?)

Old 12-03-2003, 09:21 AM   #8

matahari HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thick skin
Yes, don't bother changing your pill once you start spiro. I use Trivora as my bcp and didn't want to change as it works well for me. I'm taking 50mg of spiro/day, and I'm liking it very much. I had a follow up visit with my derm today, and he thought I was looking really good, too. He's keeping me at 50mg since that seems to be working just fine. He did make me get a blood test to check my potassium levels as this can be an issue with spiro. I am in the normal range thankfully. In three months, he will make me get another blood test before refilling spiro again. He doesn't think it will be anything to worry about, but too high of potassium levels could be very dangerous, so he just wants to monitor it initially to be on the safe side, which I appreciate very much. (What good is beautiful skin if you're dead?)

Hey Thick Skin,

I read that Spiro can make you drowsy and that you might get dizzy if you stand up to quickly. Has this happenend to you?

Also, since it flushes out excess salt & water from your body, have you noticed any weight loss? I'm kinda worried about that too because I dont really want to loose any weight... especially if its just water weight.

Have you noticed any other side effects? (Good or Bad)

Old 12-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

if your a guy on spiro you must know you might risk the chance of being permanently sterol for life.if your skins clearing then its it is suppressing your testosterone.this means you wont be able to have sex and if on long spiro long enough it will be permanent.you will have great skin but you wont be able to have sex.most guys acne is worse than girls to start then their body adjust to their hormones and the skin clears up.you should not be on it unless you have a derm or endo monitering you.i personally wont give it to anyone under 30 (guys under 30)unless it was a last resort even after accutane.im over 40 and my body will never adjust to its hormones.im willing to live without sex to have my skin clear.at least i will feel a little better about myself.yes while it works great on guys too,you must know if you skin is clear you not producing much or any testosterone.i see how a diet would help a female but any diet that would work as an anti-androgen for a guy would just make him more impotant.they are working on an enzyme for guys that would make their sebum thinner therefor you would still have oily skin you wouldnt have blocked pores that results in acne.

Last edited by joeh; 12-03-2003 at 11:01 PM.

Old 12-03-2003, 11:05 AM   #10

matahari HB User

[QUOTE=joeh]

you should not be on it unless you have a derm or endo monitering you.i personally wont give it to anyone under 30 unless it was a last resort even after accutane. QUOTE]

Hey Joeh,

So do you consider Spiro to be a last resort even for women? I know that the side effects are really severe for men, but can it be equally as bad for women? Another thing I'm worried about it the effect it will have on my kidneys (since it makes them work harder to remove excess salt & water from the body). I am 21 and my acne is fairly mild to moderate , but I cant find a method of keeping it under control! It will clear up for a little bit... then come back with a vengeance! There is no way that I could take Accutane because I already suffer from depression and it could be detrimental to mental & physical well- being... I'm affraid of the stuff! I dunno... what do you think?

Old 12-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

Matahari- I have similar acne like you I think. Mine is mild and I'm only 20. I defintely do not need Accutane. I have tried many oral antibiotics and none of them worked. I didn't ask my dermatologist to put me on spiro, but I think I am happy that he did. However, like you, I am also worried about things like my kidneys, blood clots, etc. side effects. My derm. seemed real relaxed about prescribing it and then I come on the board and read all these weird things about getting blood tests and some side effects that he never mentioned. The first few days I took it, I was really tired, but that has gone away and I have no other bad side effects. I haven't noticed a huge difference in my skin but I've seen small improvements in my chin which is where I really break out.

I have to say I disagree with Spiro being a last resort. I don't know tons about it but as long as the person is monitored, I don't see how it is that dangerous especially lower doses like 50 mg/day which is what I am on. The side effects of Accutane sound far worse to me than those of spiro. Maybe you are just talking about men because of the whole impotency thing.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #12

matahari HB User

latayy26,

I also have heard alot of good things & bad things about Spiro. I have also heard that most derms will not prescribe it to you if you have mild acne, but from your post maybe its not necessarily true. I hoping my derm will prescribe it, if not... I'll will go to another derm that will. What kind of spiro did they presrcibe you? Is it Aldactone? About how much does it cost you?

Keep me posted on how it works for you!

Old 12-03-2003, 03:09 PM   #13

thick skin HB User

Hi matahari- I don't think that spiro is necessarily a last resort. I've never been on accutane; that has always seemed like more of a last resort to me as the side effects seem far worse. My derm, also, said that he suggests spiro before accutane. I did antibiotics once or twice in the past (years ago) and that didn't seem to do anything. Didn't want to try antibiotics again because I keep hearing how bad they are for you

I don't think I've been any more tired on spiro than usual, and I definitely haven't been dizzy. I've experienced minor dry eyes and lips, but even that seems to have subsided. My skin is producing a lot less oil, and my pores for the first time ever seem to be getting smaller. I'm thrilled about this, and I hope it continues. I think that spiro is a wonderful option for those who've tried topicals, diet, etc. without much relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matahari
Hey Thick Skin,

I read that Spiro can make you drowsy and that you might get dizzy if you stand up to quickly. Has this happenend to you?

Also, since it flushes out excess salt & water from your body, have you noticed any weight loss? I'm kinda worried about that too because I dont really want to loose any weight... especially if its just water weight.

Have you noticed any other side effects? (Good or Bad)

Last edited by thick skin; 12-03-2003 at 03:11 PM.

Old 12-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

matahari,
I will definitely keep you updated on how it is working. The name on the prescription bottle simply says "spironolactone". I think that is the generic of aldactone but I might be wrong. It cost me $10 for 30 pills with my insurance.
-latayy

Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 PM   #15

matahari HB User

Thanks for all your info guys!! You all have been really helpful!! I think I'm going to try Spiro and I will keep you all posted on how it goes!

Closed Thread