It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2003, 11:57 PM   #1

corona4 HB User
i want to try accutane. what should i know? dosage...etc.

i've pretty much had it. life sucks with acne. i've tried every over-the-counter spooge cleansing crap there is...it hasn't worked. i've been doing proactiv twice a day for 3 months...it hasn't worked.
so...the next step, i figure, is accutane.
i've read a few posts on here, and i'm not really worried about the side effects (flaky skin, dry lips...etc)...i would be more than happy with that, instead of acne.
so, what do i need to know?
i don't want to go see a dermotologist, because they'll charge me up the *** to look at me for 5 minutes, then write me a perscription, or tell me that it's not that bad, and i should just wait it out. i know a few people who are doctors though, and i can easily get a perscription from one of them.

what should the dosage be? i see some people with 40mg a day, and others with 80mg+. do they come in 20mg pills, and you take 3 to make 60mg, or does the perscription specify the pill size?

i'm 6'5", 180lbs. i have pretty medium acne. between 1-3 cysts every week...and tons of little white heads. just to give you an idea of the kind of acne i have....if there's different dosages for different kinds.

i've heard of a initial breakout period...approximately how long would it last?
also, i see that people cycle accutane. how many months should the cycle be...on and off? do you die if you take it continuously?

i'm at a loss of what else to do...
i just can't stand having acne anymore. it's ruining any social life...it makes me depressed...feel like ****, miss classes just cause i don't want anyone to see me...etc.
call me insecure or whatever you may, but that's the way i am...and that's the way i'll be

i just want to get rid of acne.
thanks, i really appreciate the help in advance.
anything would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
Inactive

sunfell HB User
Re: i want to try accutane. what should i know? dosage...etc.

There is no way you should take this drug without the close supervision of a qualified doctor.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #3
Inactive

sunfell HB User

and no you are not insecure. I missed classes because of it to. It is only normal. It is hard having people look at you and you know what they are thinking. They just don't understand. They never had it.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:59 AM   #4

corona4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfell
There is no way you should take this drug without the close supervision of a qualified doctor.
why's this?

i'm not talking about dealers on the street corner that can get me accutane. i'm talking about qualified doctors (not in a dermotology department) that can get me a perscription.

Old 11-29-2003, 01:06 AM   #5

corona4 HB User

geez. maybe i shouldn't take this stuff. or at least i've changed my mind about seeing a dermo. before i get a perscription.

it can mess every part of you up permanently.

[URL=http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.pdf]http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.pdf[/URL]

anything else i need to know?

thanks.

Old 11-29-2003, 01:37 AM   #6
Inactive

sunfell HB User

they have to do blood tests, check your liver periodically, make sure you are on some kind of birth control etc. It is a potentially dangerous medication with serious side effects. It is worth the money to do it under doctor supervision. I'm sure your doctor friends are qualified, but make sure they do screening on you, order blood tests, check your medical history, etc...be safe

Old 11-29-2003, 03:19 AM   #7

Amber77 HB User

Hey, I've been on 40mg a day for just over a month. I take two 20mg pills a day. No major problems so far. As long as you do the right thing (like blood tests) I don't think you need to stress too much. I have all the dry lips etc and a bit of a rash on my arms but no big deal. So far, I haven't had any breakout either and hopefully my bloodwork will be ok, I go for my test next week.

Old 11-29-2003, 09:30 AM   #8

colleenredmond HB User

I can't use this entire program for I am sensitive to AHA or glycolic acid but if you have tried proactive's toner with no redness burning and blistering, then I would try this program. It has worked wonders on others I know and did wonders for me, however like I said, CAN NOT use one of the main ingredients. It's ABY skincare and you can get it on the internet and doctors, nurses, and staff customize your skincare regimine and even write you prescriptions for stuff without seeing a derm. Basically it's a three step prgram like proactive but they have MANY MANY strenths of products, for not one program will work for everbody. You might need stronger stuff that's all. And this place has the STRONGEST strengths of stuff for exapmle they sell 20% Benzoyl peroxide and 20% glycolic. See your proactive is only 2.5 BPO and 3% glycolic. So try this, it's helped so many others I have said it's good. I just wish I could use their toners. And beleive me, my skin was ALOT better using their stuff then what the derm has given me, just I have to use the derm's stuff cause I can tolerate it.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

You should learn all about the side effects and read the horror stories before you decide to take it.

Closed Thread