It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2003, 11:57 PM   #1

thick skin HB User
Question spiro users

I've been on spiro for almost a month. I haven't noticed any side effects until maybe now. These last few days, my eyes have been very dry and bothersome. I've never experienced this before, and I don't wear contacts or glasses. At first, I thought I was really tired. Then, I realized that I wasn't tired; my eyes just had trouble staying focused and open. I thought maybe it was the weather. Then, I wondered, "could this be the spiro?" I did some reseach on the internet, and I did find a couple of places that said that dry mouth and dry eyes could be a side effect.

For all you spiro users out there... Are you experiencing dry eyes? If so, for how long? If I know it's only for a short period of time, I can handle it, but frankly I feel that my eyes are hindering my driving and my performance at work. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
Re: spiro users

My sister took it for a month and started getting bad headaches so she stopped. If the side effects are not that bad, I would stick it out and see if your body gets used to it - like birth control. I would like to start taking it. Have you noticed any poistive effects on your acne yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 06:09 PM   #3

thick skin HB User

My skin has improved. I'm not sure if it's due to spiro or topicals. I started using Proactive Solutions; my dermatologist actually suggested I try it. I use it only at night, and I'm really liking it. I have noticed that my skin is producing less oil, and that very well may be due to the spiro. My eyes are better today as I have been using eye drops. I'm definitely going to stick with the spiro for now. I'm doing 25mg twice a day.

Last edited by thick skin; 11-29-2003 at 06:10 PM.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

check the oil on your nose.50 mgs a day is not that much but it might be all you need.i swear my skin was terrible.all i know is when your on a estrogen/anti-androgen combination they say your skin get softer and dryer.i have had no side effects whatsoever.at least not yet.except a decrease in sexual desire which is good cause i can live a more productive life because i dont have sex on my mind all the time like most males do.thats what androgens do to males...makes them think of sex most of the time.

Old 11-29-2003, 11:12 PM   #5

Forcefed4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh
i have had no side effects whatsoever.at least not yet.except a decrease in sexual desire which is good cause i can live a more productive life because i dont have sex on my mind all the time like most males do.thats what androgens do to males...makes them think of sex most of the time.
Androgens are not the only thing that causes males to "think" of sex. Plenty of males live extremely productive lives without having to tinker with their androgen levels. While I am glad that you have found something to help clear your skin problem, it seems you are aware of the many other problems that you are suffering from the "fix" that you are using. You have even mentioned blood clotting and death could be a result.

It just needs to be said that these methods should NOT be followed by most males. It's probably painfully obvious to most, though.

Old 11-30-2003, 10:18 AM   #6

KillerBoots,man HB User

I have been on spiro too for almost a month. I started having softer skin almost immediately. Now my eyes are drier and so are my lips but the rest of my face is just less oily (I have extremely oily skin usually). I'm taking 25mg 2x a day. If you drink a lot of water it will help with the dryness of your eyes, that is what I have noticed works for me instead of eyedrops.

Old 11-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

sorry but it is testosterone that causes males to think of sex.i know some females on testosterone and the get sexually aroused all the time.before they didnt get sexually aroused nearly as much.i have no sex drive at all.before i did,but before i had acne(boils and cysts).and im not tinkering with my androgens.im basicly supressing them til i become sterol.and blood clotting is just with premerin not spiro.yes males do risk the chance of being impotant if on spiro long periods of time.i stated many times this is a last resort even after accutane.sorry again but i was diagnosed of being anorexic in the late 80s because i was so paranoid that anything i ate would break out my skin.and yes most males hormones straighten out by the time they hit 30 so this is not necessary for most males.im over 40 and my skin never straightened out.the last doctor i saw said i would just have to live with this til i died.my skins clear and after 27 years of putting up with acne i am free of all acne but again i cant have sex but sex isnt everything in life.im not married so im not supose to have sex anyways.do you really care if i live or die anyways?i figure if i live 5 more years of being acne free its better than suffering from this up til the day i die.its up to a guy if his acne is bothering him that bad and again after everything else has been tried.my derm has 3 guys on spiro.a lot of people kill theirselfs because acne is causing them so much distress.guys have feelings too but we have to keep them inside or we are wimpy.then again it was ok for some girls to make fun of my face.and another thing your more a man if you can hold off having sex.if a guy sees a really attractive female he is going to get aroused and its harder to refrain from sex than giving in and having sex.having sex is easy even though i only had it once she must have liked it because she told her girlfriends cause they were over to my house knocking on the door and wanting sex because my girlfriend told them i was good in bed.even though im over 40 i look really good and a girl i went to school with said i never looked better.if i die tomorrow so be it least i had 14 months without struggling with cystic acne.

Last edited by joeh; 11-30-2003 at 01:29 PM.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:33 AM   #8

Forcefed4 HB User

Quote:
and another thing your more a man if you can hold off having sex.if a guy sees a really attractive female he is going to get aroused and its harder to refrain from sex than giving in and having sex.having sex is easy even though i only had it once she must have liked it because she told her girlfriends cause they were over to my house knocking on the door and wanting sex because my girlfriend told them i was good in bed
You're more of a man if you can hold off having sex? I didn't think being a "man" had anything to do with sexual activity. Who knew abstinence was the way to be a man!

Sorry, trying to shed a little humor on this.

Kev

Old 12-01-2003, 05:04 PM   #9

euro18 HB User

Joeh,

What you say interests me about being diagnosed as anorexic interests me. Cos i don't eat a lot cos im so scared about what will break me out and indeed sometimes i starve myself. ALso, i hate looking at mirrors etc and im completely obsessed with my acne, even though it is really quite mild - i don't have one cyst. These symtoms are associated with anorexia and BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) But do you think we qualify? cos our acne does exist , it is not a figment of our imagination. Did your doctors know you wouldn't eat cos of your skin?

Closed Thread