It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 09:46 AM   #1

blueeyedangel08 HB User
Question a question for sweetjade or sunfell

Hey there :-) I've got a question that hopefully one of y'all can answer. I noticed y'all post more frequently on this board than any other....and I've noticed y'alls posts involve alot about diet...and y'all really seem to know what your talking about and alot of information regarding it. Well, I'm attempting to maintain a gluten free casein free diet. Well....little by little I learned more about it...and have decided to pursue it. For the last few months I have avoided milk, cheese, bread, etc....and my diet consists of chicken, fish, lots of fresh fruits, some raw broccolli/cauliflower, cooked asparagus, broccolli, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, some almonds/nuts (not peanuts or cashews), and other things like that...(I avoid high carb veggies/pastas etc, hamburger meats etc (wayyy too greasy etc. for me) Well, I have also included egg whites and regular oatmeal...because I needed some options for breakfast...and I didnt want to eat too much fruit and not settle it with something else. Well....I know your supposed to cut out eggs because of the casein issue....which is fine....but what can I substitute for the oatmeal? Is there any other hot breakfast cereal that is wheat/gluten/casein free and lowfat? Also, I can't afford to spend high amounts of money (I'm a broke college student lol), and while I'm at home I usually cook chicken which comes in a bag and is frozen....it says the only thing it contains is 5% chicken broth....is this bad? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
Inactive

sunfell HB User
Re: a question for sweetjade or sunfell

The thing with chicken broth bothers me because they can put that as an ingredient and not tell you what is in the chicken broth itself (hydrogenated oils etc). For a gluten/casein free diet though, this is probably of little concern as I doubt the broth to have gluten or casein in it. There are no casein and gluten free hot cereals that I can think of offhand, yet I know they exist and you may want to check your local specialty food store for this. Then again, what is wrong with fruit salad or salad in the morning? here is a really neat salad dressing from "Gods Banquet Table" By Ron Lagerquist & Tom McGregor, to accompany fruit or vegetables:

"Flax Fast lane Fantasy

1 Tbs. flax seeds

1 Tbs. sesame seeds

1 Tbs. sunflower seeds

8 almonds

1 Tbs. pumpkin seeds

1 Tbs. honey

cup raisins

4 Tbs. hot water

You are going to feel like a kid on Christmas eve fighting to get to sleep because of your excitement and expectation of breakfast in the morning.

Grind all dry ingredients in coffee grinder. You may have to separate the mix into two batches.

Grind raisins or date pieces until soft. Mix all dry ingredients, then add hot water to desired texture. This will thicken in a matter of one to two minutes so donít be afraid to allow it to be a little runny. Almonds can be replaced with just about any nut. Raw cashews are simply heavenly.

You are looking at a good 700 calories which is far less than a typical bacon and eggs breakfast. And this beauty has oils to help emulsify the accumulated havoc that has been wreaked upon your arteries by a heavy, sticky, cholesterol-laden, saturated-fat-filled, colon-clogging, pimple-producing, cancer-encouraging, disease-contributing, brain-dulling, old-fashioned, fat-fried breakfast. " (Excerpt from "Gods Banquet Table" By Ron Lagerquist & Tom McGregor )

Last edited by sunfell; 12-01-2003 at 12:24 PM.

Closed Thread