It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #1

Laurenmarie179 HB User
BP and scaly, flaky skin--help!

Hi,
It seems the older i get (I'm 24) the more sensitive my skin becomes to "harsh" products, which I know only makes acne worse.

I have moderate acne all over, very oily skin, yet it is so sensitive to BP that even 2% causes my skin to become scaly, gross and flake in a matter of days, which then starts another breakout cycle and takes a few more days to get back to non-scaly again.

I have only used a few BP brands--paula's choice, proactiv and currently DDF. I have tried tea tree oil (didn't work), i moisturize and exfoliate, and when i stop using the BP or only use it to spot treat my skin gets worse.

what do I do to stop the cycle of scaly skin? is there a better brand of BP?

Old 12-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #2

SuperNintendo20 HB User
Re: BP and scaly, flaky skin--help!

im on clindoxyl and the same stuff happens to me..my skin becomes all flakey...this is the first time it happened...does that mean ill break out soon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2003, 12:43 PM   #3

Laurenmarie179 HB User

well overdrying the skin is a known contributer to acne. It not only causes the skin to produce more oil, but the flakes mix w/ the oil and clog the pores. so it may or may not make you break out--but either way flaky scaly skin isnt something i like on my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendo20
im on clindoxyl and the same stuff happens to me..my skin becomes all flakey...this is the first time it happened...does that mean ill break out soon?

Old 12-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #4
(female)

Shy One HB User

My skin is the same way. I use purpose cleanser twice a day and neutrogena on the spot all over my face only once a day. Then I use clean and clear moisterizer. My face gets flaky all over and really oily at the same time. Without the BP, my face will break out terribly but with it, it flakes horribly. Sometimes I wonder which is better.

Old 12-01-2003, 01:55 PM   #5

SuperNintendo20 HB User

im not 100% on this but i think that my moms pharmasist friend said that its normal fer pple who use clindoxyl (duac ) to get flaky skin. It apperintly stops after a while.

Old 12-01-2003, 03:09 PM   #6

thick skin HB User

My skin used to get really flacky from stronger products, but now I use jojoba oil before applying the b.p. and that has helped tremendously.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:50 PM   #7

Laurenmarie179 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendo20
im not 100% on this but i think that my moms pharmasist friend said that its normal fer pple who use clindoxyl (duac ) to get flaky skin. It apperintly stops after a while.

yes, it iis normal to get flaky/dry skin from topicals, like differen, retin-a, BP, etc and usually you become more toletant and it gets less over time, but ive used BP for yrs and always had this problem. i tried differen for 2 weeks and had to stop the peeling/drying was so extreme, even w/ minimal use, that my skin cracked!

ive heard people meantion a BP brand on here that i cant remember, but it supposedly absorbs better so that it not only helps breakouts more but decreases thee surface flakes/dryness cuz it doesnt sit on the skin.

Closed Thread

« Topical | Differin »