It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
Sunfell- I started your plan

Sunfell,

I started the basic idea of your diet about two weeks ago. I did not eliminate dairy though. In fact, a lot of my food is coming from dairy. I did not get any new zits during those two weeks, just the olds ones that were healing or coming in anyway. Usually I get 1-5 new ones a day. Then, bam, Thanksgiving. In two days I ate two pieces of pie, stuffing, a glass of wine and oatmeal with honey. I broke out with 4 big pimples the day after I ate the oatmeal and honey. Anyway, it sucks that I have to wait this breakout out, yet it is encouraging to know that the breakout occured too soon after eating all of those carbs for it to be a coincidence. I think I kind of binged though because I felt so deprived of sweets and carbs. Do you think that I broke out from simply two days of too many carbs, or do you think that it was one of the foods in particular - the oatmeal, the honey or the wine, etc. that did it by itself? How do I find that out?

Also, ugh, does it mean that I can never go out and have a glass of wine or a bowl of oatmeal? What do I do when I am craving carbs for energy?

Thanks.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
Inactive

sunfell HB User
Re: Sunfell- I started your plan

Hi Colorado,

I am so glad to hear that you are seeing results. This is truly encouraging and something you have to trust. Binge? Nah, you had to. It was thanksgiving. All that food around. There is no way you could not. To me it sounds like you did really well, actually. That is a considerable amount of self control right there.

Nah it doesn't take weeks for pimples to form. All the right conditions may be there weeks ahead of time, sure. The right environment, etc, but the pimple itself only takes a short time. All I have to do to produce a pimple is eat a small amount of dairy. I am still very sensitive to this food, and I will break out within only a day or two, even though I have not had acne in a long time, a couple years. If I accidently eat dairy though, even a small amount of parmesian cheese (one time it was accidently served to me on artichoke hearts at a restaurant), I will break out, but it is nothing (a few small pimples) compared to what I used to get when I had acne, and it just goes away.

No this doesn't mean you can never eat these foods again. I know people who once their acne condition was gone, can tolerate butter very well. I know people who can tolerate oats and spelt, and all sorts of other things once their acne condition is gone. But it takes time to heal. It took time to get to where you are now, and it is going to take time to get back clear skin. In this case, I suspect it was the wine, because the alcohol occupies your liver, and when the liver and other eliminatory channels are occupied, the body uses the skin. Alcohol also requires minerals, and already you are mineral deficient. You will be able to have occassional wine when your acne is gone, for certain. For now it is important to get correct carbs: unrefined carbs without gluten. So forgo the oats for now in favor of other choices like quinoa or flax meal, brown and wild rice..etc. Honey is fine as a natural sugar. Raw honey is simply the best.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-01-2003 at 10:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 04:49 PM   #3
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Thank you Sunfell. I'm back on my diet, but it seems that I am still breaking out alittle. I guess it takes time for those Thanksgiving breakouts to heal. When I tried this diet last time, I used to eat Spelt cereal w/ Soy Milk. It made me break out. So, I'm not quite sure what to do about carbs right now. I'm eating a lot of eggs, butter, cottage cheese and meat right now. The only thing that seems to get me in trouble is the carbs.

2 more questions - could I be having an initial breakout from the zinc?
Also, do I need to be taking copper as a supplement with the Magnesium and Zinc?

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2003, 05:57 PM   #4
Inactive

sunfell HB User

Hi there Colorado,

This diet is a couple things, it is also not a couple things. Let me tell you what this diet is not. This diet is not an elimination diet, where you eliminate foods which you think produce breakouts. Of course, doing that could give you remarkable benefits, no doubt. It can also fail you miserably. The goal here is not to discover what specific intolerances or sensitivites you might have until after your acne is gone. In order to do this you must eliminate all the foods I listed from dairy and hydrogenated oils to packaged and fortified foods. This diet is also not a "low carb" diet. Personally, I think that just makes things better because it eliminates a lot of the offenders and lowers glycemic response, but I don't think it actually heals acne. If you want to do this diet, you will have to forget for a moment what seems to be giving you trouble, or what you think is causing it, because this could be false, and start this diet. You're going to have to start eating some vegetables. I realize you may have to give up the foods you like for a little while, but it is well worth it. As for the supplements, no I do not think you have to take copper, because if you have acne, more likely than not, you are zinc deficient, which means you probably have an elevated copper/zinc ratio. The only way to know this for sure, though, is to get it tested. Depending on the amount of zinc you are taking, you should be just fine without a copper supplement. As far as initial breakouts are concerned, Let's see. Tell me what the ingredients are on the zinc and magnesium supplements and the source (magnesium oxide etc). Read me everything.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-02-2003 at 06:33 PM.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:19 PM   #5
(male)

Kwok HB User

Coloradogirl1 I remember you told me before about 4-6 pimples grow everyday. Now you said only 1-5. That means your skin condition is improved?

Old 12-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Yes, since I started this diet I am getting one-five a day and it's only been about three weeks. Before the diet, for about four months, my skin was going crazy with 4-6 (actually sometimes more) huge, inflammed pustules. Now, the ones that are appearing (again knock on wood) are smaller and are going away quicker. I also got Smoothbeam though - that may be helping, but I know that when I am eating sugars, wheat, flour, "nightshades", etc. Smoothbeam or no Smoothbeam, I am breaking out.

Besides, it probably doesn't matter the exact number of pustules,(after all I'm not counting every single day to make sure that my averages are correct) it is the appearance of everything. I think that things are looking better.

Old 12-03-2003, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Oh, and Sunfell - I keep my supplements t home and my computer is t work but I will write down the ingredients of them and bring that with me tomorrow.

So, basically, what you are saying about my diet, is the only thing that I need to yet eliminate is dairy. Oh, and I am eating a lot of vegetables. Is soy OK?

Also, now I don't want to get into the whole conversation again, but maybe I missed the point of the diet. I thought that it was to avoid foods that cause acne (high glycmic, wheat, etc.) and replenish your system with vitamin and minerals. If I'm wrong, then what exactly am I doing.

Please don't stop trying to help people! How anyone can blame you for that is beyond me!

Thank you!

Old 12-03-2003, 10:37 AM   #8
Inactive

sunfell HB User

Soy milk is ok in moderate amounts as long as you check the ingredients for offenders. I think most soy milk is "fortified." I think you should drink filtered water, or real fruit juice. Soy and rice milk is alright in cooking, but not alright if you plan to eat cereal, because you need to cut out any denatured grain cereals at this point. Yes the point is to avoid all foods I listed, because they are either possible offenders or antinutrients, and replenish vitamins. Indeed. Here is the list again, or you can go to the end of the post "Acne is caused by diet" to see everything.

Hydrogenated oils, heated oils (except saturated fats like coconut oil because that does not denature at higher temperatures, however some people have issues with saturated fat. They should disregard the use of oil in cooking altogether), fortified foods, refined sugar, refined white anything (rice, flour, bread, sugar etc), extreme denatured foods (like cheetos, denatured grain cereals etc), dairy and all products containing dairy from supplement products to food products, eggs + gluten in the beginning. Also excess caffeine and excess alcohol.

Here is a food list:

For carbs:
-Brown rice
-Wild rice
-Quinoa
-Amaranth
-Brown rice pasta
-Lentil pasta
-any fruit
-any vegetable
-any RAW nut or seed (as long as it isn't poisonous like acorns which must be processed)

For protein:
-again any raw nut or seed
-legumes (soak beans overnight) Eating beans and brown rice together is a good combination for protein
-meat that is not "cured" (real meat and not packaged sandwhich meats)
-For fish choose wild alaskan salmon or sardines if you like them

Sweeteners: stevia, honey, real maple syrup, agave nectar

Last edited by sunfell; 12-03-2003 at 10:38 AM.

Closed Thread