It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #1

cookiemonster123 HB User
Unhappy Only 15 and at an end.

I have already been battling acne since the 6th grade. That's at least 4 years now.. I don't even remember life without acne. How sad. My mom won't take me to a dermatologist because "all teenagers get it" ... but this is my only depression point in my life. If I didn't have acne I would be so incredibly happy. When I look in the mirror, it brings tears. I avoid the mirrors at school as much as possible.. and suddenly, I find myself not being able to get a guy, even though I know he likes me and it's because of other reasons, in the back of my mind I know acne is a part of it. To tell you the truth, tomorrow I am cutting my hair so that I will have bangs, and the bumps on my forehead won't be as noticeable.. I do want bangs, but I shouldn't be doing this at all because of my acne, but I'm doing it anyway. I hardly put my hair up at school anymore.
I don't know what to do you guys -- I'm always on this board. I'm one of the youngest one's here, and this is really starting to hurt. I quit drinking soda about a week ago, and now I'm giving up my favorite food (Top Roman, lol) to hopefully make a little difference in my face. I'm trying to give up sweets and eat a lot less carbs.. but that is so hard at 15. There really is a point, where saying that it will eventually go away just doesn't help you get through another day. Yes, I'm dangerously near that point, or hell, I'm already there.

I don't want to live by my face, I should be living my life. *tears*

Last edited by cookiemonster123; 12-01-2003 at 06:56 PM. Reason: fixed some typo's

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2003, 07:38 PM   #2

rsnbaby77 HB User
Re: Only 15 and at an end.

Hey Im 16 and i also have acne. About the derm thing, you really should go you could probly go on your own and get a consultation, you only need an adult there if they are going to somehow treat you like give you a shot or something. Just figure out what derm will take your insurance type, call and make an appointment. I've been doing this since a year ago. They'll probly wanna talk to your mom before they prescribe you anything but at least you can go get a consultation.
Btw, what kind of acne do you have? Mine was mild/moderate so I can reccommend some stuff that I use that helps me keep it under control if you want.

Good Luck

Old 12-01-2003, 07:46 PM   #3

LuckyStar1 HB User

cookiemonster:
I am so sorry to be hear about your troubles with acne. I know how hard this may be for you since I have been battling with acne since I was about your age. (I'm almost 20 now). Yet it wasn't until a few months ago I went to see a dermotologist. So far I am seeing improvement. I only wish I went sooner!
Does your mother know how your acne is affecting you emotionally? Does she know that the acne "brings tears" to your eyes"? I mean, when I first cried because of my acne my mother immediately said we will go to a dermotologist to fix the problem. I mean your mother is right, just about all teenages get acne at one point in their lives. But if one's acne is persistant, moderate or severe, professional attention should be sought. Even if one is emotionally hurting from acne, visiting a dermotologist would help. I think you should have a serious talk with your mom. Let her know that your acne is affecting you a lot. I know 15 is a tough age to be going through this kind of thing. I do not know what else to tell you except that professional help may be the only thing that may help you. You can try over the counter medications and you can try changing your diet. But as for me, none of those options worked. Hopefully you will find something that works for you if you are still unable to see a professional. Regardless, I believe a serious, heartfelt talk with your mother may persuade her to let you see a doc. Just be honest and hopefully she will see the pain the ance is causing you.
Well I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do

Last edited by LuckyStar1; 12-01-2003 at 07:46 PM.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:35 PM   #4

cookiemonster123 HB User

Thx Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnbaby77
Btw, what kind of acne do you have? Mine was mild/moderate so I can reccommend some stuff that I use that helps me keep it under control if you want.
I guess it's mild\moderate.. but it affects me a lot anyway.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:18 PM   #5
Inactive

sunfell HB User

Of course it affects you. You are young and searching yourself, finding out who you are, forming your identity, etc. If you are not careful, acne could affect this in a negative way. In my opinion acne is not a normal thing to be expected, even though more and more people are getting it, and, in my experience, diet is the culprit. Whatever therapy you choose for this, you should treat it. Insist on it. It is important to you.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-01-2003 at 11:26 PM.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:31 AM   #6

neener5151 HB User

I used to have really bad acne, but guess what? I haven't had a single spot on my face for 6 month thanks to ProActive. It's the best stuff int he world.... I recommend it to anyone! Give it a shot, what can it hurt? Good luck,
Neener

Old 12-02-2003, 01:53 PM   #7

redhead7235 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnbaby77
Hey Im 16 and i also have acne. About the derm thing, you really should go you could probly go on your own and get a consultation, you only need an adult there if they are going to somehow treat you like give you a shot or something. Just figure out what derm will take your insurance type, call and make an appointment. I've been doing this since a year ago. They'll probly wanna talk to your mom before they prescribe you anything but at least you can go get a consultation.

Good Luck

Hey, just curious, what is the different types of acne? I have acne frequently, but they are almost always whiteheads near my mouth and on my chin. Sometimes I get one at a time, or days I bust out with 6-8 of them. They are almost always in this specified area though.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #8

cookiemonster123 HB User

I talked to my mom about it today, and I told her, "it's an every day thing.. it's not supposed to be like this" and she told me it was an every day thing until I get older. That's not true.. my 2 best friends have flawless skin, most of my friends don't have acne constantly like I do.. I don't know what to do next if my mom can't even help me.

Old 12-02-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
Inactive

781 HB User
Wink Re: Only 15 and at an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster123
I talked to my mom about it today, and I told her, "it's an every day thing.. it's not supposed to be like this" and she told me it was an every day thing until I get older. That's not true.. my 2 best friends have flawless skin, most of my friends don't have acne constantly like I do.. I don't know what to do next if my mom can't even help me.
there's oh so much you can do even without a dermatologist that u shouldn't give up yet; how many otc products have you tried?? you may find that you have to combine two or more of these products and maybe get the results u want. you should prolly research what products are good and what can be harmful/bad to your skin. anyways if that fails you can always try to buy perscription meds online (i wouldn't reccomend this though becuz u don't know if what ur getting is good and u don't know if these products could actually be bad for your skintype). or of course you could try asking your dad to take you

whatever you do don't pick/scratch your zits (duh) and if your a guy (which your not but this is a general warning) don't shave over them (i did this and it's left me with some scarring )

oh and if your wondering im 16 and have had mild acne which progressed to moderate when i was 15-16 (im mostly clear now)

Old 12-02-2003, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

First thing you do is find a book that rates doctors. Then find your state and find the highest rated dermatologist in your area. The point is the average dermatologist knows next to nothing, you need a good one. You will need medical coverage from your moms policy.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:40 PM   #11

cookiemonster123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 781
have had mild acne which progressed to moderate when i was 15-16 (im mostly clear now)
My acne has not been this bad for a while now.. but a few days ago my forehead just broke out. I don't know why.. I only changed a few things recently.. um, I stopped drinking soda (for a little over a week now) and started taking a multivitamin.. I don't know if that caused it at all but I'm going to stop taking it for awhile. And my period should be coming soon, but who knows.

I'm really hoping I clear soon. Did you ever have a problem with blackheads?

Old 12-02-2003, 10:12 PM   #12
(male)

Pymp22 HB User

cookiemonster123,
What non precription meds are you currently using? I had the same problem a year ago. I started using Phisoderm 4 in 1 facial cleaner (7 dollars for a big bottle at wal-mart) and it cleared me right up. Also, have you ever heard of Vitamin B5 treatment? You don't need a derm to prescribe you those pills and that treatment is very effective. I know many people who have had moderate/severe acne and have gone on that treatment, and now they are completely acne-free. And, the best thing of all is that the B5 treatment is really cheap in comparison to alot of other methods. Don't let your acne get the best of you! Don't mope around just because you have acne. I can tell ya from personal experience, that gets you no where!

Old 12-03-2003, 08:16 AM   #13

Mystikins HB User

*Hugs* I'm 18, I've had it since I was 15. Ever since I moved out onto my own, I am too poor to afford soda, fast food, I don't sleep in makeup anymore, I am less-stressed out because I didn't get along well with my mother, and it's improving very fast.

If your mom won't take you to the derm, ask for pro-active? That's what I'm using. Ever seen the commericals? They are true LOL My face started clearing up in DAYS! Gone in about 5 months, I have 2 zits now, just now working on getting rid of the dark spots.

I used to be so shy in school, didn't want to look my first boyfriend in the eyes, because MY FACE WAS THERE! lol.. but you will find the right guy and..

dun dun dun

Live happily ever after.

Old 12-03-2003, 04:07 PM   #14

cookiemonster123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pymp22
cookiemonster123,
What non precription meds are you currently using?
I have Clean and Clear foaming facial cleanser, Neutrogena oil-free acne wash,
Clindamycin, 10% BP, and Clean and Clear blackhead clearing and astringent also..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikins
If your mom won't take you to the derm, ask for pro-active? That's what I'm using. Ever seen the commericals? They are true LOL My face started clearing up in DAYS! Gone in about 5 months, I have 2 zits now, just now working on getting rid of the dark spots.
I asked my dad about ProActiv last night in an email.. haven't had a reply yet.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:11 PM   #15
Inactive

781 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster123
My acne has not been this bad for a while now.. but a few days ago my forehead just broke out. I don't know why.. I only changed a few things recently.. um, I stopped drinking soda (for a little over a week now) and started taking a multivitamin.. I don't know if that caused it at all but I'm going to stop taking it for awhile. And my period should be coming soon, but who knows.

I'm really hoping I clear soon. Did you ever have a problem with blackheads?

yep, mostly on my nose, still do seem to have them every now then, dunno what makes them go away :/

Closed Thread