It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
Veteran

Neca HB User
Cool The drinks are on me...if it's healthy!

Hey all,

I know it is a paradoxical question to ask but does anyone know which is the "best" alcohol that is least acne-prone i.e. the "healthiest" alcoholic drink? I know alcohol is a factor in causing acne but I'm a student and bindge drinking is unfortunately part of the lifestyle. After a drinking session my skin always looks terrible (the next day).

So far I have narrowed down the following alcoholic beverages to be the worst in my experience, listed in order of acne-proness. The top being most acne-prone:

1. BEER>>> too much carbohydrate at once
2. Alco-Pops e.g. Hoops, Smirnoff ICE, Barcardi Breezer etc.>>> too sugary
3. Liquor & Sweet spirits e.g. Bailey's>>> again too sweet
4. Cocktails>>> a mixture of everything but in moderation
5. Wine
6. Common spirits e.g. Vodka,Gin etc.>>> seem to effect my skin the least

Please don't tell me I shouldn't be drinking alcohol in the first place if I don't want acne because I already know that. Unfortunately there are times when you need a break after studying hours on end for exams...

I just wish there was a healthy/organic (lol) alcoholic drink! If there is one, then I will buy the ENTIRE FORUM each a drink!

Thanks for any contribs.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: The drinks are on me...if it's healthy!

...Ok Ok maybe it was a silly post but if you can ask the same question with regards to PIZZA instead of ALCOHOL. Pizza is known to be one of the most acne-prone foods that affect most people. However, if I'm going to eat pizza I will always find the "healthiest" option. Instead of eating processed pizza e.g. Dominos or Pizza Hut junk, I will go for Pizza Express or a restaurant that uses natural (or the most natural possible) ingredients. I break out less this way and the food actually doesn't taste like plastic.

So back to the main point, are they any alcohols that will break me out less? Any experiences....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I'd just stick the vodka myself. It's the all-rounder for students in general. You can get incredibly wasted on it (especially playing the Father Ted drinking game or any game with cards, or simply the "crap, we've got five minutes before we're supposed to go out so we can get into that really crap club for free" get drunk asap drinking game); you can mix it with anything (apart from black vodka - never try that; in fact, never try black vodka at all); it's clear, so what can there be in it?! I think vodka or other clear spirits are probably the best for you skin. Oh, and there are literally thousands of brands and there's no better hobby than collecting at least one bottle of every brand. It's the official student hobby

Old 12-05-2003, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Neca,
I noticed that you replied to my post so I thought I would also mention the list in here if anyone was interested. I personally don't drink alcohol. I don't like the taste of it but I did end up drinking Pina Coloda for each of my birthdays (21 & 22). I've also tried 1 Shot of Green Apple Schnopps and Cheery Cheesecake and since I didn't know what they were made from so I kept thinking I was going to breakout, but never did. Yet, I still don't know what liquors they contain, but If I remember, Pina Coloda wasn't made with any Gluten containing grains.

Alcohols -
-Low Carb Beer
-Distilled Alcohols (regardless of source) - Brandy, Bourbon, Gin, Tequila, Vodka
-Gluten-Free Alcohols - made from Corn, Rice, Sugar Cane, Grapes, or other Fruits - Cider, Rum, Saki,
-Grain-Free Alcohols - made mostly from Grapes & see above (know some brands?) - Wine, Champagne, etc

Definately, for those of you that love to drink, do a search on Gluten-Free alcohols and you'll find a much more extensive list. I found it on Google and it was rather detailed.

Happy & SAFE drinking ;-)

Old 12-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #5

TheWildSide HB User

All I can say is that your list sounds pretty much the same as my list. I only drink once in a while because I get bad hangovers and bad breakouts usually, but when I choose to I drink hard liquotr straight or on ice. Scotch on rocks has been my favorite lately. I also don't let myself forget to take b5 (even if im wasted) and I try to drink a lot of water also. Lemme know if you find out anything else!

Old 12-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

just have a big booze session of beer like once a month..the fluid of the gods..stop being so paranoid..sheesh..alcohol doesnt have much of an effect on skin..

Old 12-05-2003, 05:03 PM   #7
Inactive

sunfell HB User

If you are healing from acne, or trying to heal your acne, it is best to stay away from alcoholic beverages altogether. When your nutrient deficiencies are brought under control, and your acne is gone, then you can consume alcohol in moderation once again. The reason being that alcohol contributes to magnesium loss. Alcohol is a very large contributor to low magnesium and depression, as well as dehydration, anxiety, osteoporosis, heart problems and diabetes. Furthermore, it affects every system in your body that requires magnesium, such as stress response and hormonal balance. Does this sound familiar? Look up "alcohol" and "magnesium deficiency" on google.

If you have acne, you are already deficient. Anything else like this will simply exacerbate that deficiency and prolong your suffering.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-05-2003 at 05:09 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:10 PM   #8

TheWildSide HB User

Sunfell, I didn't know about the magnesium deficiency. I always figured it was because alcohol had a high sugar content, but, because I break out so much from liquor, it makes sense that something besides the sugar content affects my face. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
Veteran

Neca HB User

Vortex
Quote:
just have a big booze session of beer like once a month..the fluid of the gods..stop being so paranoid..sheesh..alcohol doesnt have much of an effect on skin..
LOL "doesnt have much of an effect on skin"...well your lucky man. It can take me up to 4 weeks for my skin to get make to "normal" after drinking alcohol. But I have noticed that it varies depending on what I did. If I drink say 5 pints of beer, my skin will look terrible. But spirits (unmixed) usually effect my skin less. I have tried mixing the Vodka with tomato juice aka Bloody Mary and it seems like I get less of a reaction.

I'm gonna try Sweetjade's recommendation of gluten-free stuff and maybe some Cider.

P.S. What's the father ted drinking game (I loved the show but didn't know there was a drinking game...haha "A**, FECK, DRAAARINK!". Jack was the craziest!!!

Old 12-06-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

It's just a game we play in my house sometimes to help us get incredibly drunk. You can play it with any show I guess, but Father Ted's just surreal so it's funniest. The game is simple: you each pick a character and whenever they appear on screen you drink. We play that cuts count, so if there's a scene between two characters and it cuts back and forth between them then you're screwed. Jack is normally the safest character to choose. But you gotta love him - "Feckin' birds again!!"

Closed Thread