It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
(male)

CursedSkin HB User
Thumbs down Why are Doctors good at everything else besides acne?

where are the good dermatologist at? hell, it seems as there are people on this board that are more knowledgeable about acne than alot of dermatologist...it seems like most of they give you some sh.it that doesnt work and tell you to come back in 4 weeks...

besides accutane, i cant think of a damn thing a dermatolgist has done for me that worked..most of them are in it for the money anyway acne is a billion dollare business and theyre just leeching of it, i heard that only 1% percent of their schooling is on acne..

i mean think about it, they possiblu found a vaccine for cancer and yet theres still nothing for acne.. i figure that if they really wanted to find a cure they could...but theres just to much money to be made i guess..

Old 12-03-2003, 10:57 PM   #2

TheWildSide HB User
Re: Why are Doctors good at everything else besides acne?

I think they could without a doubt, but the medical establishment/pharmaceutical industry is chilling financially without it. Isn't it possible for them to come up with a b5 concentrate so that we could take one pill a day?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 02:30 AM   #3

King Humbert HB User

While people would have you think otherwise, there is no ONE cure for acne. Different people have different acne for different reasons. But for all those different reasons there are only a handful of actual treatments for acne. So derms will have to experiment to find which treatment will help you most.

There's no "conspiracy" from the big companies to deny an acne cure so they can keep raking in the money. If anything a company would want to make THE acne cure so they could sell it and take 100% of the acne market.

It's frustrating that it takes time, but you have to try a lot of different things before you discover your cure. Try topicals, try antibiotics, try diet, and finally try accutane. One of those things has a real good chance of helping you, if not curing you.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

according to some sources I read

only 2% of dermatologist's studies in medical school are conducted on acne.
2%!!!!what happens with the other 98%??? well they pay attention to other skin disorders i guess.

in my experience, my dermatologist is good because she herself has experience acne before.She knows all the frustrations i encounter with find a cure. She knows how I feel emotionally as I do physically.

"The one thing that has kept me going is knowing that one day my face will be clear and there are people out there who love me despite my imperfect face."

Old 12-04-2003, 12:05 PM   #5

TheWildSide HB User

It is not a conspiracy to think pharmaceutical companes will put profits before the well being of patients. Pharm companies make TV ads and hire salespersons to encourage doctors to use one product over another, etc., so that in the end products developed by the company with the strongest marketing campaigns wins - not necesarily the most effective product.

If you don't believe that roche and glaxxo-welcome and other Pharm companies are in it for money rather than to cure and/or treat, just look at the debate over the use of generic AIDS drugs in Africa and Asia.

It's not far fetched for me to come to the conclusion that drug companies and the medical establishment ignore successful alternative treatments such as b5 because the profits aren't there. Medicine is Big Business.

Last edited by TheWildSide; 12-04-2003 at 12:08 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 01:41 AM   #6

22Girl HB User

The other 98% of their study is probably on skin cancer, which affects and kills lots of people, as opposed to acne.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:59 AM   #7

TheWildSide HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Girl
The other 98% of their study is probably on skin cancer, which affects and kills lots of people, as opposed to acne.
Surprisingly, only a fraction of their studies focus on cancers. Do a search on google for "dermatology curriculum."

Closed Thread