It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 06:07 PM   #1

jooonstilts HB User
Red spots? What are they? How do they go away?

I got some red spots on my chest and face. They're not bumpy at all. Some of them were zits before tho and now they're just like flat red marks. What are they and how can i get rid of them? my face looks fine with a little makeup but i don't like using it.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: Red spots? What are they? How do they go away?

Hey Jooon, I know what you are talking about as I sometimes experience these red marks. They are a form of acne and occasionally form whiteheads but most of the time they just remain red and cause your complexion to look discoloured and patchy. It's inflammation of the skin and if you ask any derm how to treat it I'm sure they will immediately refer you to the same treatment as to someone who suffers from spots/whiteheads/blackheads. The treatment being the dreaded antibiotics which only work for short periods of time until the body has built up it's resistance. And also a/bs solve one short term problem but most likely create 2 or 3 long term problems e.g liver/kidney damage especially if taking ACCUTANE (this only occurs when taking a/bs for v.long periods of time).

I don't use antibiotics any more, it's just not worth it. I think the only way to solve your problem is to look at your diet, lifestyle and well-being. I know I know boring boring it won't do anything but trust me it will if you are willing to try. When I get red marks on my face it is usually due to something I have eaten or drunk (see my other post on alcohol). If I don't drink alcohol my skin is fine or near to being fine.

This is my advice to you:

-Have at least 3 meals a week that contain fish(salmon, mackrel & tuna=great),
-Eat almonds and walnuts as well as any other healthy nuts (not cashew/pistaccios!) maybe 10 nuts at lunch and 10 in evening everyday
-But lower your carbohydrate intake with regards to pasta,rice,potatoes etc. (these cause me to have red marks). If you want to have a 250g or > of pasta then try and do exercise afterwards.
-Don't use more than one topical cream on your face each day
-Wash face twice a day: once in morning with just water (or low anti bac.%)
and once in evening with whatever you think cleans your skin/pores. Wash gently, NO scrubbing.
-Exercise
-Steam your face once a week if you want
-Try and get some sunlight eachday aswell (maybe 10-20mins)
-Eat fastfood,sweets,chocs etc. ONLY a few times a month
-Oh and try not to drink alcohol (lol)

Ok this may seem like a long list and you may be thinking that there is noway it will improve your skin but it has improved my skin considerably. I'm not saying you should suddenly do all these things tomorrow. OF course not! That would be crazy. Your body prob. wouldn't be able to cope if it isn't used to it. Just gradually introduce things and in time your skin will be overall more clear. I do hope this helps you in some way or at least it may point you in the right direction....take it easy, let me know how it goes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 AM   #3
(male)

449271 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
Hey Jooon, I know what you are talking about as I sometimes experience these red marks. They are a form of acne and occasionally form whiteheads but most of the time they just remain red and cause your complexion to look discoloured and patchy. It's inflammation of the skin and if you ask any derm how to treat it I'm sure they will immediately refer you to the same treatment as to someone who suffers from spots/whiteheads/blackheads. The treatment being the dreaded antibiotics which only work for short periods of time until the body has built up it's resistance. And also a/bs solve one short term problem but most likely create 2 or 3 long term problems e.g liver/kidney damage especially if taking ACCUTANE (this only occurs when taking a/bs for v.long periods of time).

I don't use antibiotics any more, it's just not worth it. I think the only way to solve your problem is to look at your diet, lifestyle and well-being. I know I know boring boring it won't do anything but trust me it will if you are willing to try. When I get red marks on my face it is usually due to something I have eaten or drunk (see my other post on alcohol). If I don't drink alcohol my skin is fine or near to being fine.

This is my advice to you:

-Have at least 3 meals a week that contain fish(salmon, mackrel & tuna=great),
-Eat almonds and walnuts as well as any other healthy nuts (not cashew/pistaccios!) maybe 10 nuts at lunch and 10 in evening everyday
-But lower your carbohydrate intake with regards to pasta,rice,potatoes etc. (these cause me to have red marks). If you want to have a 250g or > of pasta then try and do exercise afterwards.
-Don't use more than one topical cream on your face each day
-Wash face twice a day: once in morning with just water (or low anti bac.%)
and once in evening with whatever you think cleans your skin/pores. Wash gently, NO scrubbing.
-Exercise
-Steam your face once a week if you want
-Try and get some sunlight eachday aswell (maybe 10-20mins)
-Eat fastfood,sweets,chocs etc. ONLY a few times a month
-Oh and try not to drink alcohol (lol)

Ok this may seem like a long list and you may be thinking that there is noway it will improve your skin but it has improved my skin considerably. I'm not saying you should suddenly do all these things tomorrow. OF course not! That would be crazy. Your body prob. wouldn't be able to cope if it isn't used to it. Just gradually introduce things and in time your skin will be overall more clear. I do hope this helps you in some way or at least it may point you in the right direction....take it easy, let me know how it goes

what if i have oily skin?can i still wash with water only?

Old 12-05-2003, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 449271
what if i have oily skin?can i still wash with water only?
I also have quite oily skin but still wash my face with just water in the evening. In the morning I wash with a little Salicylic acid to clean the pores then I apply some Neutrogena Clear Pore Moisturiser with Minerals & Fruit Extracts lotion (I can't remember the name exactly sorry). The moisturiser greatly reduces the amount of oil that can build up during the day. If I don't use it, at the end of the day my face is pretty shiny/oily.

Old 12-05-2003, 05:46 PM   #5

jooonstilts HB User

<quote>-Have at least 3 meals a week that contain fish(salmon, mackrel & tuna=great),
-But lower your carbohydrate intake with regards to pasta,rice,potatoes etc. (these cause me to have red marks). If you want to have a 250g or > of pasta then try and do exercise afterwards.</quote>

These 3 might be hard. I'm not a big fan of fish. I do like peanuts but i dunno if that counts and that 250 g thing sounds complicated. Can't I just drink 27 glasses of water a day?

Old 12-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooonstilts
Can't I just drink 27 glasses of water a day?
Well two things, firstly if you think drinking 27 glasses of water a day is easier than eating healthy food then be my guest. But I highly doubt you will be able to manage it. Secondly, even if you drank 1000 glasses of water a day it will not make any difference to your acne/redness. Don't listen to those ridiculous models in magazines they drink lots of water day to keep their skin looking so perfect. Water does not make your skin perfect! Water is one of the most important elements to a person's diet to ensure they remain healthy. If you drink around 8 glasses a day your body will be happy as it contributes to your body's cleaning process and helps it maintain it's efficiency. But it does NOT mean you will have clear skin.

By drinking as much water as you suggested you run the serious risk of damaging your internal organs especially your kidneys. People who take ectsasy overload on their water intake as they become so dehydrated and who risk death as so much water goes to their head. Obviously there is little chance the same will happen with you if drink 27/day because I assume you will drink over the space of a day and not all in one go.

What is your diet like, you never mentioned it?

If anyone knows of any topicals/creams that even out skin texture and discolourations I would be glad to hear their recommendations.

P.S. oh yeh Jooon also I would love to know how you will cope going to the toilet 27 times a day?

Last edited by Neca; 12-06-2003 at 11:59 AM.

Closed Thread