It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Question Need Help.....Any Ideas??

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, but usually frequent the TMJ board. I have a kid in high school that's suffered from acne for a few years. At first, he was put on Tetracycline and it helped. A year or so later, it stopped working, so his dermatologist went to Minocycline for a few months, and it really cleared his skin up. He quit using it in the summer, since being in the sun cleared him up on it's own. Since the fall has come, he's broken out really bad. His face is pretty clear, it's his back. He has the cystic-type lesions covering it. They're nearly on top of one another, red, and look painful. We've seen the dermatologist a few times since the start of fall and he's currently taking Doryx. It's been about a month and a half now, and it doesn't seem to be helping much, if at all. He winces if I touch his back since it hurts so badly.

As for creams and lotions used, he's tried Erythromycin Benzoyl Peroxide Topical Gel, Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion, Retin A Micro, Differin, amongst many others. Nothing seems to help. He usually uses a Neutrogena product for frequent washings.

We have an upcoming appointment with the dermatologist next week. He said that if the Doryx didn't work that he didn't know what else to try. He did suggest Accutane previously, but since my kid is dealing with chronic pain and depressed already, I didn't think that it was a good idea. Neither did the doctor. My kid is also allergic to sulfa drugs, which the dermatologist said that wipes out a few that we could've tried. Should I suggest another round of the Minocycline?

As for diet, since being diagnosed with TMJD a year ago and having constant headaches, he's stayed away from all soft drinks and foods that could aggravate his condition. I would assume that the same food/drinks would apply to an acne issue. He currently takes a multi-vitamin and has tried using head and shoulders for the past few weeks, hoping for a miracle. No miracle has happened.

As a parent, I'm at a loss for what to do for him. Lately, I'm feeling desperate since he starts swimming class in school in about a month and a half. It would really upset him to have to take his shirt off with how his back looks, it's bad enough that it's painful, let alone having to show it to everyone. I have to find some help for him before that time comes.

If anyone has any ideas/thoughts/advice, I'd be more than grateful to hear from you. I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow. Thanks for listening.

Take Care,
Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
Inactive

sunfell HB User
Re: Need Help.....Any Ideas??

What is the multi-vitamin? how long has he taken it for? What foods does he eat now? Why did the doctor diagnose him with TMJD? Was it only the headaches? What did the doctor say was the cause of his TMJD? Stress, arthritis, infection, disease, dental work, etc? Are you certain there is no MSG connection?

I'd really like to help in any way I can. Since your son is not alien to changing his diet, perhaps you may want to review this one and the associated regimens: "acne is caused by diet", to see if it has a possibility of helping. I think it does, but I cannot say, since I don't know what diet your son is on now.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-04-2003 at 11:35 PM.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunfell,

Thanks for the quick response. My kid has been taking Centrum for awhile now. Prior to that, he was taking something called Coral Calcium Supreme. As for foods, he stays away from well-known 'greasy' culprits, loves his veggies.

As for the TMJD, he was diagnosed last December. He was in orthodontics at the time. He's got most of the symptoms of the disorder. He's seen enough doctors/dentists for a lifetime concerning this, and they all have agreed on the diagnosis. After researching it for nearly a year myself, I completely agree.

What do you mean by a MSG connection? I understand what MSG is.....it's known to cause headaches, correct? I will read "acne is caused by diet" to find out more.

Any thoughts....I'm up for hearing them. Thanks for responding.
Cheryl

Old 12-05-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
Inactive

sunfell HB User

You are welcome. I can't help but feel for your son's situation. As far as MSG, well, whenever I see "headaches" it is something I consider. MSG sensitivity can mimic the symptoms of TMJD. It was indicated in a 1997 report that as many as 90% of fibromyalgia patients may have jaw and facial tenderness that could produce, at least intermittently, symptoms of TMJD. Most of the problems associated with this condition are thought to be related to the muscles and ligaments surrounding the joint and not necessarily the joint itself. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome (sensitivities to odors, noise, bright lights, medications and various foods) is common in FMS or CFS patients. This jumped into my mind when I read that your son has allergies. So it is just something to consider. MSG is now lurking in almost all packaged food products under ingredient labels such as "natural flavorings","zest", and others. I'm glad that you have altered your son's diet in a healthy way, so as to relieve some of the symptoms and discomfort of TMJD. I think he would benefit greatly from a whole, nonprocessed foods diet, and from the removal of dairy. That has been my experience. In order to do this he would have to switch multivitamins, as Centrum has dairy in the ingredients.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunfell,

I've come across some of the information that you mentioned while reseaching in the past. His TMJD is directly related to his bite. Fortunately, at this point, it's still muscle-related vs. joint. As for MSG, I realized long ago that it could cause headaches in some individuals, so he's rarely gotten that in his diet over the past year. You are right, they seem to sneak that into many processed and prepared foods these days.

I've gotten about half way finished reading the 'acne is caused by diet' thread. It sure is a long one. It really sparks my interest about dairy being a culprit. He does love his milk. (His drinks have been limited, being only milk, water and orange juice) I'm going to have him go easy on the milk for awhile and see what transpires.

As for multivitamins, if not Centrum, what would you suggest? I would think that at his age, being that his bones are still growing, calcium would be very important.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. I hope you're enjoying your evening.
Take Care,
Cheryl

If anyone else has anything at all to add in reference to my intial post, I'd love to hear from you, also.

Old 12-05-2003, 04:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

As far as TMJ, be sure he does not chew gum. I have TMJ mild and many dentists have told me that chewing gum makes it worse. The back acne is the most resistant to treatment from what I have read posted from others.

Old 12-05-2003, 04:36 PM   #7

pepperpaul HB User

can anyone tell me how to post a BOARD? or whatever...

Old 12-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Open,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, he has a severe case of TMJD. I don't think that he could chew gum even if he wanted to. As for the cystic back acne, you're not kidding that it's hard to get rid of. I hope to come across something to help him get a handle on it. Enjoy your weekend!
Take Care,
Cheryl

Old 12-05-2003, 05:43 PM   #9
Inactive

sunfell HB User

Hi Cheryl,

You seem well-informed. I would have him start taking all his nutrients separately, but if this is not an option, the only multivitamin I can think of that I would trust is from Life Extension Foundation. You can find their website online. They really go to extreme measures to ensure quality and I am almost certain there are no milk or gluten ingredients in them, but be sure to check anyway (look for casein, lactose, caseinates, gluten etc.) Yes, calcium is important, but magnesium is more important. Too much dietary calcium can lead to magnesium depletion and when it comes to strong bones magnesium is more important because it regulates the uptake of calcium. Whatever supplements you do decide on, make sure he is getting more supplemental magnesium than calcium. Magnesium Taurate is the best way to go. Have a good weekend.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-05-2003 at 06:07 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunfell,

Thanks, I'll check into the Life Extension Foundation. I appreciate your response.
Take Care,
Cheryl

Old 12-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I would say have him drink only water for a beverage for a week.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Open,

Thanks for the reply. We'll give it a try and see what happens. Hope you're enjoying your weekend!
Take Care,
Cheryl

Closed Thread