It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 02:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Lightbulb List YOUR Acne SAFE Recipes & Substitute Foods

Hey all,
Well I know that most of you think that those of us on an Anti-Inflammatory, Insulin Controlling, and/or Hormone Balancing Diets are severely deprived. LOL, well I am here to tell all of you that you could not be more wrong! =)

I was absolutely clueless and naive about ALL the DIFFERENT possibilities among the foods we eat until I changed my diet. WOW, I honestly had no idea that there were soo many types of foods (not considering among the different cultures) and Ingredients in which to produce them with! I tell you, I may have had to give up a few favorites, but now I get to eat a variety of other great tasting foods and found some NEW favorites along the way.

Considering that we are in the middle of the Holiday (temptation) Season, I thought it would be FUN of us to post any recipes or "substitute" foods that you can eat instead of whatever you would normally eat. I put substitute in quotes, because for some people this has ALWAYS been what they were eating or baking with. They knew no other way, just as most of us usually think of Wheat when we hear Bread or Flour. In fact, if you really wanted to feel special, it might comfort you to know that some of these foods are considered to be "gourmet delicacies" ;-)

Now, the idea came to me this evening when I was watching the Food Network (rarely do) and they had endless shows on about cookies and that's when I remembered that there were plenty of cookies I could bake, If I so chose to. I personally don't always eat these foods, I hardly ever think about them, but I know that some of you were wondering what I can eat. So I decided to make you all General list (avoid what you need to) and you'll see some of the ingredients that you can use instead. Also, if I didn't cover other questions you had for me, I'll try to get to your thread personally this weekend. =)

Vitamins
Look for those that don’t contain any Dairy, Soy, Gluten products (or whatever you are avoiding).. Most brands that I’ve seen don’t. Those that do are generally called Whole Foods or Green Foods Supplements.

Candy
Dark Chocolate (Chocolate was never the issue, it’s WHAT goes INTO it that matters)
Carob (chocolate like, more nutritious)
Dried Fruit

Sweeteners
Stevia
Honey
Flavored Honey
Low Carb sweeteners & syrups
Syrups – (less sugar the better) Fruit, Molasses, Maple
Brown Sugar – has more nutrients

Alcohols -
-Low Carb Beer
-Distilled Alcohols (regardless of source) - Brandy, Bourbon, Gin, Tequila, Vodka
-Gluten-Free Alcohols - made from Corn, Rice, Sugar Cane, Grapes, or other Fruits - Cider, Rum, Saki,
-Grain-Free Alcohols - made mostly from Grapes & see above (know some brands?) - Wine, Champagne, etc

*For those of you that love to drink, do a search on Gluten-Free alcohols and you'll find a much more extensive list.

Butters
Use REAL (organic) butter - no margarines
Fruit Butters - instead of Jellies, Jams, Preserves (unless all natural and no sugar added)
Nut Butters

Dairy
Milk – (Organic), Soy, Rice, Multigrain, Almond, Nut, Seed,Potato, or Coconut Milks
Yogurt – Soy or Rice
Non-Dairy Cheese
Ice Cream - (Organic), Gelato, Sherbet, Sorbet, Icees, chilled applesauce or Jell-O

Cooking Oils
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sunflower Oil
Coconut Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Applesauce (instead of oil for baking)

Gluten-Free (grain) Flours (some are more nutrient dense), these grains have more than one name:
Rice – many varieties
Corn
Psyllium
Buckwheat
Amaranth
Quinoa
Millet
Sorghum
Arrowroot
Teff
Montina
Tapioca
(Oatmeal)

Bean/Legume/Pulse Flours
Soy
Lentil
Pea
Anasazi Bean
Mung bean
Garbanzo Bean,Chickpea
Black Bean
Navy Bean
Pinto Bean
Fava Bean
(Kidney Bean can have intollerant reactions)
(Peanut and Cashews can have allergic/intollerant reactions)

Nut Flours
Almond – really popular
Chestnut
Hazelnut
Pecan
Walnut
Acorn
Etc.

Seed Flours
Sunflower
Seseme
Flax Seed
Guar Gum

Vegetable Flours
Potato
Sweet Potato
Yam
Artichoke
Water Chestnut

Fruit Flours
Coconut

Safe, but Misc. Flours
Sago
Carob

Suggested Foods – made from a variety of the above ingredients:

Bread goods – Pizza crust, hot dog buns, garlic bread, sandwich bread, rolls, English muffins, Bagels, Tortillas, Pastas/Noodles, Waffles, Pancakes, Malt Free Cereals etc

Desserts – Puddings, Yogurt, Ice Cream, Pies, Cheesecake, Cakes, Brownies, Cookies, Muffins, Donuts, etc

Miscellaneous – 100% Soy Soy Sauce, Distilled Vinegars, Salad Dressings, Gravies, Egg Replacer, etc

Of course, these can be as Organic and Wholesome as you like (bake them, it's cheaper) or they can be just as Preservative and Hydrogenated oil laden as you like. You can get them from a Bakery, make them from scratch, use a mix, or buy prepackaged, canned, or frozen! If I goofed in the list somewhere, feel free to correct me or better yet add to it. Otherwise feel free to post your tips, recipes & brands, and if you want I, and hopefully some others, could try to find you substitutes for your favorite baked goods. =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-07-2003 at 02:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: Acne SAFE Recipes & Substitute Foods

Quote:
Alcohols -
-Low Carb Beer
-Distilled Alcohols (regardless of source) - Brandy, Bourbon, Gin, Tequila, Vodka
-Gluten-Free Alcohols - made from Corn, Rice, Sugar Cane, Grapes, or other Fruits - Cider, Rum, Saki,
-Grain-Free Alcohols - made mostly from Grapes & see above (know some brands?) - Wine, Champagne, etc
WOW SWEETJADE, that is one hell of a detailed post you have made. Nice one, great idea! I posted a topic on which alcohols were most acne-prone and didn't realise you posted this useful information above. With regards to alcohol, I've noticed that I react really badly to it. It's too sweet and I almost always get whiteheads as a result. Do you think Cider, Rum, Saki etc. are "good" alcohols. I can see where your coming from when you say gluten-free made from corn, rice, grapes etc. I'm sure your right, these may be less acne-prone and I think I'm gonna give 'em a try. I wish I knew where I could get Sake, I may have to go to Tokyo (lol). And low carb beer is slowly becoming a bigger market too which is a relief.

When I buy some, I guess I'm gonna feel a little stupid asking "Excuse me do you have any gluten-free alcohol"? Just sounds strange...lol

Old 12-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
WOW SWEETJADE, that is one hell of a detailed post you have made. Nice one, great idea! I posted a topic on which alcohols were most acne-prone and didn't realise you posted this useful information above. With regards to alcohol, I've noticed that I react really badly to it. It's too sweet and I almost always get whiteheads as a result. Do you think Cider, Rum, Saki etc. are "good" alcohols. I can see where your coming from when you say gluten-free made from corn, rice, grapes etc. I'm sure your right, these may be less acne-prone and I think I'm gonna give 'em a try. I wish I knew where I could get Sake, I may have to go to Tokyo (lol). And low carb beer is slowly becoming a bigger market too which is a relief.

When I buy some, I guess I'm gonna feel a little stupid asking "Excuse me do you have any gluten-free alcohol"? Just sounds strange...lol

LOL, then don't ASK them about that. They may not even know what you are talking about. ;-) Just do a search on Google for Gluten Free Alcohols and you will find the list I got the above from. Its a very detailed list covering I guess all types of alcohols and whether it's safe to drink or not.

Now in terms of the sugar factor, some people are sensitive to sugar (monosaccharides) and/or polysaccharides (these are supposed to be better). I tend to be sensitve to both. I breakout in cysts from certain polysaccharides and I breakout in smaller zits (go away very fast) if I consume too much regular (table) sugar. So you may find that you do or don't breakout from the above alcohols based on the sugar content, but at least you know you've eliminated one side of the culprit (wheat, barley) from the list.

Best of luck ;-)

Old 12-05-2003, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

SweetJade,

All of those flours that you listed - do they contain yeast? I thought yeast was a big no-no in these diets.

Also, doesn't soy sauce contain wheat?

Thanx.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

ColoradoGirl,
Actually what you avoid depends on the Diet you are following and of course what you've found to affect you. Now if you are on the BED diet or the Anti-Candida diet, then there' are foods above you definately want to avoid. Not only do you want to avoid yeast but the (natural) sugars that will help feed them. That's a very restrictive diet and is only meant to be followed until your candida problem is cleared up. Then you would eat something a bit more liberal, but not going overboard of course. Now, I don't know much about it, but it seems like Refined & Fermented Foods are the worst and as long as you are eating Whole Gluten-Free Grains, they are supposed to be yeast-free. However, if yeast isn't a problem for you, then the above are fine (unless something specific bothers you).

In terms of Soy Sauce you are absolutely correct. There are many versions of Soy Sauce most contain Wheat, some have MSG, but amazingly they actually do make 100% SOY Soy Sauce ;-) The brand I use is San-J's Tamari Organic Whole Soybean Wheat-Free Soy Sauce (they make the other kinds too) and it's All Soy and it's REALLY good! There's also Oshawaand probably a few other brands that are also wheat free. Of course, if soy bothers you then you want to avoid this or limit your intake too. I don't eat a lot of soy products because of the taste. While I can go for months without a soy based specific product, some soy products taste surprisingly good. I've actually had Gluten Free Pretzels that were made from soy and they were much BETTER tasting than traditional pretzels.

I hope that helped some =)

Old 12-07-2003, 03:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Any of you want Drink Suggestions?
Purified Water
100% Fruit Juice
Decaffienated Teas - Green Tea is good for acne
(Decaffienated Coffees)

To spice these up, you can purchase flavored Waters, (Organic/Gourmet) Teas and Coffees. One brand of flavored water I loved (haven't seen around lately..may have discontinued them) was by Glaceau. They also make Vitamin Water, but they add fructose sugar to this and I found after awhile I had to start watering it down. ;-)

You can also add in your own Flavorings or Flavored Syrups that have either No Sugar Added, are Low Carb, are Sugar-Free (artificial sweetners), or just the regular stuff (pure sugar cane). That way you can control how much sugar and flavor you add to your drinks, without having to worry about all that extra stuff such as carbonation, dyes, corn syrup, fructose, etc.

For Sandwich Suggestions use:
Lettuce - several varieties
Cabbage
Corn Tortillas - hard or soft
Gluten-Free Breads (with or without dairy)
Almond Breads (with or without dairy)

As your "breads." This is something that I've done from time to time and it adds a great flare to old favorites! I either use 2 leaves like you would in making a regular sandwich/hamburger or I roll/wrap my meat, etc up in the leaves. I do this for hamburgers, brisket, turkey, ham, or chicken fajita sandwiches. I suppose you could even do this for Peanut butter, since some people enjoy eating peanut butter with celery. Infact, I was reading the latest Glamour magazine and it actually listed this method as a low carb solution. ;-)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-07-2003 at 03:28 PM.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

He he thanks. I was at a party this summer and I was going to eat the hamburger meat by itself, but then I saw these big pieces of lettuce calling my name and the rest is history ;-)

I also agree about GMO foods. I'm for and against them. I'm against them because what if they happen to mix a protein from a food we are avoiding with something that we CAN eat. Not only will that cause more people problems but it also REDUCES what safe foods there are out there to eat. That's a scary thought for lots of people that are alllergic or intolerant to foods. I really hope they start to do more testing before doing such things.

Also, thanks for mentioning how we can tell the difference between Organic, GMO, and Regular foods. I usually just read the ingredients and check and see if they say the are certified and what not. I didn't know there was another way. ;-)

Old 12-08-2003, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Sweetjade and others,
Ok, so generally I am doing some form of a diet, I'm not quite sure what it is yet though. I guess I'm still experimenting. When I eat no carbs, my skin is clear. When I add in a bowl of oatmeal or some fruit, I break out. I was getting so tired and I was hungry ALL OF THE TIME - I couldn't feel satiated. Then yesterday I had one apple - Sunfell said that fruit should generall be OK for most people. I felt amazing, like I had my mind and strength back, but then I woke up with three zits! So it looks like I should go for either the insulin reducing or candida diet. First off, how would I know which one? Second, what am I supposed to eat for energy/carbs?

BTW -I don't know if either of you might know anything about this and it may be unrelated, but I have tinea versicolor on my upper arms - it is a yeast or a fungus. I'm using Lamisil on it. But, maybe coincidence maybe not, I had it on my arms about 3 months after I started getting acne the first time. (In between then and now I had accutane and mild acne). Could the yeast on my arms have anything to do with candida? (Maybe I should have started a seperate post, sorry).

Last edited by moderator2; 12-25-2003 at 05:56 AM.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Well, I cut out the cottage cheese and other diary but have still been eating eggs. So mainly I have been eating eggs, meats and salads. I try to add in the fruit or oats and I break out. I gues I'm not sure whether to go for the immediate results - all carbs break me out (PCOS or insulin resistance or candida or whatever I may have) or go for the long term results (like you say, Sunfell) - nutritient deficiencies that need to be replenished.

I got so frustrated with the whole thing that I almost gave up today. But, I went skiing and feel much better and will continue trying. I just need to know exactly what I'm doing and why. I also am having trouble keeping up with the supplements. I am skipping certain ones some days because I just ate, didn't eat yet, forgot, etc. I fear now that playing around with the supplements are going to defeat the diet effort.

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl1
Sweetjade, Sunfell and others,
Ok, so generally I am doing some form of a diet, I'm not quite sure what it is yet though. I guess I'm still experimenting. When I eat no carbs, my skin is clear. When I add in a bowl of oatmeal or some fruit, I break out. I was getting so tired and I was hungry ALL OF THE TIME - I couldn't feel satiated. Then yesterday I had one apple - Sunfell said that fruit should generall be OK for most people. I felt amazing, like I had my mind and strength back, but then I woke up with three zits! So it looks like I should go for either the insulin reducing or candida diet. First off, how would I know which one? Second, what am I supposed to eat for energy/carbs?

BTW -I don't know if either of you might know anything about this and it may be unrelated, but I have tinea versicolor on my upper arms - it is a yeast or a fungus. I'm using Lamisil on it. But, maybe coincidence maybe not, I had it on my arms about 3 months after I started getting acne the first time. (In between then and now I had accutane and mild acne). Could the yeast on my arms have anything to do with candida? (Maybe I should have started a seperate post, sorry).
Hey you =)
Well I just did a quick search (you could've done it) and it appears that Tinea is associated with CANDIDA! Your suspicions were correct. This comes and goes with non-treatment and treatment of candida (or rather some other yeast). So my question is, do you KNOW that you have candida (other symptoms?) or do you just suspect you do? If so, then that means you want to follow anti-candida diets. I can give you some ugly ones to follow, but they are similar to a Grain Free Diet anyway.

I would say that normally an apple shouldn't affect you and it generally wouldn't cause a breakout the following day. So if the apple is the only culprit you can come up with, then that might mean you've got some candida to deal with. If so, you definately want to eliminate the Starch, Yeast and sugars that will help feed it. As such that means pretty much eliminating Fruit sugars, Grains (especially Gluten Grains), Milk Sugar (lactose), and all candy, soda, juice, etc.

Basically you will be living off of Vegetables, Animal proteins, Plant Proteins (legumes, nuts, seeds) and healthy oils like pure coconut oils. You may also find that you do well with a probiotic supplement and (growing your own) organic kefir or yogurt. There are a variety of books out there (search for candida or yeast diets). I remember a group that was following one of them, but I'll have to check and see what book that was. The yucky diet though is known as the BED and frankly, it's not much fun from what I've heard. It's not a permanent diet, but it could take up to a year to kill it all off.

However, if you aren't ready to jump into something like this then you can try Sunfells diet only eliminating more sugar sources. You could try the Grain Free Diet, Going Against the Grain Diet, Paleolithic Diet, Gluten Free Diet, or the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, among many others. All limit or eliminate grain intake, but allow fruits so you MAY find that you'll have to drop those. The Specific Carbohydrate diet is particularly interesting because it allows you to consume bread products w/o using grains to create them. This diet eliminates Milk, Grains, Starch (potato, sweet potato, yam), and Sucrose.

so maybe you what you want to do is determine how sensitive you are to sugars. There are some tests online that you can find that will help you determine if you have candida (although most people come up positive). Maybe you want to keep a journal for a week or two just to be certain of what foods are causing reactions for you. Usually, reactionary breakouts occur a few days (3 - 5) on average AFTER consumption of the culprit food. A reaction occuring the next day is something more so associated with allergies. Apples have salicylates so maybe that's what's aggrevating you. Although if it was, you would't be able to tolerate a host of other fruits & vegetables.

So I guess for now, eliminate what you KNOW bothers you and try and test out the rest. You can look into those books to help guide you. Try not to feel overwhelmed, there should hopefully be someone around to help answer any questions or provide you with support. I'll try to find out about that book for you (cleared them) and how hard it was to follow.

Take care =)

Old 12-24-2003, 10:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Bumping for ColoradoGirl and anyone that would like to post their recipes or Successful Diet Regimen, etc. =)

Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 AM   #12

ccynthia HB User
Re: List YOUR Acne SAFE Recipes & Substitute Foods

great tips

Closed Thread