It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 05:10 PM   #1

Shipley HB User
Help. Dr. yelled at me for not putting son on accutane/prefer smoothbeam

I drove 2.5 hours to see a doctor who performs smoothbeam. When he came in the room he started blasting me for not having my son on accutane. I had searched for someone to do smoothbeam because of side effects of accutane. He says they are all people who don't know what they are talking about and even minocyclne has side effects. We have tried everything else. Has any one had bad side effects from accutane OR had smoothbeam performed on REALLY bad acne with good results. I don't know what to do .

Old 12-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Inactive

sunfell HB User
Re: Help. Dr. yelled at me for not putting son on accutane/prefer smoothbeam

I can't believe he yelled at you. You are absolutely right for being wary of accutane, and you have every right to search out other therapies. I've read that smoothbeam and the new IPL treatments work great for acne. I also happen to believe from experience that nutrient/diet therapy cures acne. Don't do accutane. Most people, it seems, only stay clear for about 6-12 months and their acne comes back, worse, which makes complete sense. It is too much of a price to pay.

There are long-term consequences from consuming accutane, in everyone.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-05-2003 at 05:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive

781 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipley
I drove 2.5 hours to see a doctor who performs smoothbeam. When he came in the room he started blasting me for not having my son on accutane. I had searched for someone to do smoothbeam because of side effects of accutane. He says they are all people who don't know what they are talking about and even minocyclne has side effects. We have tried everything else. Has any one had bad side effects from accutane OR had smoothbeam performed on REALLY bad acne with good results. I don't know what to do .

that doc's a total dumbass, from what i've heard about accutane is that it blows, and even my own derm wouldn't recommend it for most ppl (he himself was on it and it left him with several deep scars)
there are like a million side effects with accutane most common = hair loss, aching joints and eyes, and oh yeah the body not being able to heal properly (zits turn into scars)

Old 12-06-2003, 04:54 AM   #4
(female)

herzel HB User

Well I hate to disagree but I am a accutane survivor. I was on twice(4years in between) and I would do it again. It clears you up completely and usually don't ever have to go back on it. I was not as severe as some are but it was worth it. I now have beautiful skin, smooth looking and in fact I get comments on how pretty my complexion is. As far as side effects, I never really had any except for the drying of the skin, which is normal. The worst part about it is the blood work for 3 months. I know many that were on it and no one I know had any real side effects. Birth control is the big one but other than that I can say I'd do it again. I would for sure get a new dr.(mine was a dermatologist) and get all the facts about it not just hear say. I do know that in 3 months you will have beautiful skin.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:23 AM   #5
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

debz: Did you have hormonal acne? I have heard that accutane does not work for hormonal acne.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:33 AM   #6

kurtpatel HB User
Talking Re: Help. Dr. yelled at me for not putting son on accutane/prefer smoothbeam

As much as you guys seem to hate Accutane, I would like for you not to post an opinion on it unless you have actually been on it...I noticed a lot of these things being said about Accutane are things people have "heard" or "read about"...but let me tell you from a person who has been on it for the full six month treatment...IT WORKS! I had very bad acne and after I started taking Accutane about one month into the treatment, I had almost cleared up entirely...besides the dry lips, I have had none of these "side effects" most of these posts talk about and I am sure if you ask 8 out of 10 Accutane users that will be their only problem with it...unlike women who have to watch out incase they are going to be pregnant, men don't need to worry so much about it, just take the pills when you are supposed to and it will work....so if you are really looking for something to help your son's acne, look into Accutane, besides the dry lips and skin there are no real problems..hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2003, 11:55 AM   #7
Veteran

backtomyoldself HB User

Quote:
When you say he yelled at you, did you mean he yelled in a mean way or something else? Some doctors may seem like they're yelling but they're not. There are individual differences. If he really yelled in your face, I don't think you should be seeing him again. You should have asked him if he also learned that yelling is therapeutic. He must have gotten an A++++ for that. What a dumb ***! I highly dislike health professionals who give the field a bad reputation.

As for Accutane, I posted my experiences with it on this board, from July 03-present. I am a second time user. Personally, I would not recommend Accutane until all treatments are exhausted. In addition, I would also determine how bad the acne is, what is causing it, and how it is affecting the person involved. These factors should always be considered.

I have never heard of Smoothbeam getting rid of severe acne. Does your son have weeping acne (the one's that are inflamed and pus-filled)? If so, I do not think anyone would touch that kind of acne with any kind of machine in the skin clinic.

Find a good, respectful dermatologist (not a general doctor) to take care of your son. Do not forget to take supplemental vitamins while on Accutane; it helps counter the side effects. I just found that out now. Vit. E for muscular health and Biotin for dry hair, lips, skin (which for sure is to occur during Accutane usage), Calcium for healthy bones, Vit. D for Calcium absorption, whichever is required in your situation, etc. Ask your doctor about those.

I always tell someone that Accutane may be the wonder drug for some, but for the others it is just the opposite. No matter what, keep an open mind during the treatment. You have to be positive, but you also have to be ready for the major side effects should they occur during your treatment. Goodluck!

Old 12-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #8

Shipley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomyoldself
When you say he yelled at you, did you mean he yelled in a mean way or something else? Some doctors may seem like they're yelling but they're not. There are individual differences. If he really yelled in your face, I don't think you should be seeing him again. You should have asked him if he also learned that yelling is therapeutic. He must have gotten an A++++ for that. What a dumb ***! I highly dislike health professionals who give the field a bad reputation.

As for Accutane, I posted my experiences with it on this board, from July 03-present. I am a second time user. Personally, I would not recommend Accutane until all treatments are exhausted. In addition, I would also determine how bad the acne is, what is causing it, and how it is affecting the person involved. These factors should always be considered.

I have never heard of Smoothbeam getting rid of severe acne. Does your son have weeping acne (the one's that are inflamed and pus-filled)? If so, I do not think anyone would touch that kind of acne with any kind of machine in the skin clinic.

Find a good, respectful dermatologist (not a general doctor) to take care of your son. Do not forget to take supplemental vitamins while on Accutane; it helps counter the side effects. I just found that out now. Vit. E for muscular health and Biotin for dry hair, lips, skin (which for sure is to occur during Accutane usage), Calcium for healthy bones, Vit. D for Calcium absorption, whichever is required in your situation, etc. Ask your doctor about those.

I always tell someone that Accutane may be the wonder drug for some, but for the others it is just the opposite. No matter what, keep an open mind during the treatment. You have to be positive, but you also have to be ready for the major side effects should they occur during your treatment. Goodluck!

It was an arrogant/ Im god syndrome and we are all stupid attitude. That is why I am looking for people who have done it .
and know first hand. His face is all red with pus pimples on top. How did you know that smoothbeam won't work on this type? Do you have any stats on the real bad side effects of accutane? This is what scares me.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

almost all acne is hormonal for both girls and guys.maybe some peoples pores get blocked up by cosmedics ect. but most acne is caused by the androgens that affect your sebasious glands to produce more sebum at about the time of puberty.why do most children have acne free skin?because their hormones havnt kicked in yet.most guys acne is bad to start but gets better when they are growing into a man.girls on the other hand have androgens that flux all over the place so some suffer into their 30s and 40s and even later.accutane shrinks your pores and it works for a lot of people unfortunetly it didnt work for me.back in the 80s it was a 16 week course and followed by another 8 weeks if you needed it.females have more weapons to fight acne with anti-male meds such as spiro,bc pills and other anti-androgens.most people only need topicals for mild to moderate acne.for the worse cases are best handled by a derm or endo.a lot of plastic surgeons are having to deal with acne patients too because of all the scarring that sometimes occur after suffering with acne.and if diet does cause acne it could because you inherited your parents and grandparents bad diets and bad skin even though you might have the right diet.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #10

pvshyboy7 HB User

well.. i'm assuming that the reason why he yelled was because his/her son has severe cystic acne.... becuz u know how cystic acne leaves permanent scars.. so.. i would go on accutane and risk the side effects. this acne of mine has CHANGED my personality over the last 6 years. i am like a totally different person now... i can't even look people in the eyes... so.. since the monday is my next appointment... i'm gonna give it a shot..

Old 12-06-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
Veteran

backtomyoldself HB User

May I ask why you drove 2.5 hours just to see this doctor? I am assuming it is health insurance related? What did this so called doctor tell you about Smoothbeam?

I took Accutane 3 years ago, and my acne came back a year later. Then it became full blown 3 years after. I am finishing my last course of Accutane in two weeks and I am still breaking out a little (nothing compared from 5 months ago). There were many side effects I had to deal with, it's all in my post: First Day on Accutane (from month 1-5).

I am also scarred from all my breakouts (before and during Accutane). I had many, many cystic acne which left scars (indented one's). Prior to agreeing with my dermatologist on resuming Accutane, I have asked about some laser treatment for acne, I am not sure if they use Smoothbeam. In the end, no one would treat my skin until I get rid of my cystic, pus-filled acne. The lasers they use are only effective on whitehead/blackhead type of acne, I think if I remember it correctly on some of the information I got from the clinic.

As far as Accutane s/e's stat's, you can search for Accutane's customer service number online and contact them. See if they can provide you the information you need. You might also want to contact FDA for Accutane complaints. I found out that many of the complaints that FDA is handling is not even included in the current Accutane prescription warning. Stats are just stats, again, I would tell you to have an open mind when you take a drug as strong as Accu. They may say only 1% gets this or that, that 1% could be you. So you have to be prepare.

Old 12-07-2003, 12:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

I took accutane in my early 20s.I was on it longer than most drs prescribe because it raised my cholesterol levels.So they had to lower the dosage and extend the time period i was on it.The only other side effects i had was dry and flaking skin,and dry lips.After the course was over my acne didnt start to return till 5 or 6 yrs later.All in all i had a fairly good experience with it.It was a real pain to have to have blood tests every month done.And constantly worrying about accidently getting pregnant was a pain too.At the time i also had an anxiety problem which it did not seem to effect one way or the other.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:39 AM   #13

Shipley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomyoldself
May I ask why you drove 2.5 hours just to see this doctor? I am assuming it is health insurance related? What did this so called doctor tell you about Smoothbeam?

I took Accutane 3 years ago, and my acne came back a year later. Then it became full blown 3 years after. I am finishing my last course of Accutane in two weeks and I am still breaking out a little (nothing compared from 5 months ago). There were many side effects I had to deal with, it's all in my post: First Day on Accutane (from month 1-5).

I am also scarred from all my breakouts (before and during Accutane). I had many, many cystic acne which left scars (indented one's). Prior to agreeing with my dermatologist on resuming Accutane, I have asked about some laser treatment for acne, I am not sure if they use Smoothbeam. In the end, no one would treat my skin until I get rid of my cystic, pus-filled acne. The lasers they use are only effective on whitehead/blackhead type of acne, I think if I remember it correctly on some of the information I got from the clinic.

As far as Accutane s/e's stat's, you can search for Accutane's customer service number online and contact them. See if they can provide you the information you need. You might also want to contact FDA for Accutane complaints. I found out that many of the complaints that FDA is handling is not even included in the current Accutane prescription warning. Stats are just stats, again, I would tell you to have an open mind when you take a drug as strong as Accu. They may say only 1% gets this or that, that 1% could be you. So you have to be prepare.

Thanks for the info. I will call the FDA. Your right that 1 % could be 1% too much if it is you. These seem like too major of side effects. I saw you continued accutane a few times even with the raised cholestrol, Did't that scare you.
We drove 2.5 hours because only a couple of Drs. in NC & SC have this new smoothbeam which was approved in 1/2003. I am still trying to find people who have done it and had good results.

Old 12-07-2003, 12:48 PM   #14
Veteran

backtomyoldself HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will call the FDA. Your right that 1 % could be 1% too much if it is you. These seem like too major of side effects. I saw you continued accutane a few times even with the raised cholestrol, Did't that scare you.
We drove 2.5 hours because only a couple of Drs. in NC & SC have this new smoothbeam which was approved in 1/2003. I am still trying to find people who have done it and had good results.
Yes, there are many major side effects that could happen during Accutane treatment. My cholesterol increased only once, then once I got it under control, it was my triglycerides (blood fat) levels. Accdg. to my derm, they take it twice and see if it is continuously rising, because it could be caused by food intake. Anyway, my triglycerides went down a little the next time I had it tested and my derm agreed that it was not in a range of concern (although it was markedly increased). I trusted their opinion. There were two of them who agreed I continue the treatment. I only had a month left anyways. So far so good.

You can also check the feedbacks about Smoothbeam from FDA. They would usually send you microfiches of all their records about Smoothbeam for a little fee ($3-5). This will be helpful if you want to see how this product is doing in the market. It is relatively new so I don't know if they have that much. I would probably wait a little longer until it has been used in the medical field for more than one year. I am skeptical when it comes to new products. I certainly do not want to be the statistic.

P.S. SO this doctor is from NC/SC?

Goodluck!

Closed Thread