It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Recurring acne

Has anyone ever had a case of recurring acne like this?

I got a spot on the inside of the bridge of my nose (near to the eyebrow) and after a few days I was silly enough to burst it 'cos it was throbbing and I had to go to work. You know the feeling. Well, it went down but it came back with a vengeance about three days later. So this time I left it. About a week passed and this spot wasn't going to budge. It was really painful and very angry looking. I was trying to be patient but eventually gave in and attacked it again. Only this time it wasn't puss filled (really sorry for being so graphic here people ) but mainly full of blood. Needless to say it looked a mess after I'd prodded and poked it. But at least it was gone this time.

Yeah, right. It was back less than two days later. And it was bigger still and just as hard and red as before. So I was mega patient and left it for over a fortnight. I grew used to the sight of it. But then it gained a brother, which was really frustrating (as was the girl at work who was recommending her mother's traditional Chinese medicine as a solution to my acne She's a sweetheart, though really). The new one went away as quickly as the other spots on the rest of my face were, but the original one wasn't going away. Basically I had a spot in the same place for about three months. As I said I grew used to the sight of it. But that didn't make it any better.

One night after watching the Clint Eastwood film Escape From Alcatraz (I really want to go there; I love the film The Rock) I decided it was time for action. I figured there was only one way to prevent this spot from ever coming back. I took the drastic step of literally carving the spot and surround skin from under my eyebrow. I used a pumice stone (that you use to rub off old skin from your feet) like a file and gritted my teeth as I set to work scraping off skin. There was blood everywhere and I was in agony. But this spot had caused me a lot a pain for months and these days I can take a lot of pain (I think acne sufferers could easily handle a shotgun to the kneecaps from close range).

Anyway, I basically cut out a whole chunk of flesh from the affected area. It took about an hour 'cos the pumice stone was no knife and I kept washing the area to see what I was filing away. Eventually I thought I'd cut it out once and for all and doused the wound in aftershave to keep it clean. I put tissue paper on the cut and went to bed. Then next day the wound didn't look as clean as it had before. I'd obviously been bleeding a lot in the night and I was in a lot of discomfort. But it all paid off because the spot never came back. I have the memory of it with a small scar and a slight lack of symmetry where I must have changed the shape of the bridge of my nose forever, but I was just grateful it never came back.

Has anyone had a similarly persistent spot?

By the way, I'm not recommending to anyone that they hack at their face. Please don't do that.

Last edited by jhart999; 12-05-2003 at 06:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
Inactive

781 HB User
Re: Recurring acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart999
Has anyone ever had a case of recurring acne like this?

I got a spot on the inside of the bridge of my nose (near to the eyebrow) and after a few days I was silly enough to burst it 'cos it was throbbing and I had to go to work. You know the feeling. Well, it went down but it came back with a vengeance about three days later. So this time I left it. About a week passed and this spot wasn't going to budge. It was really painful and very angry looking. I was trying to be patient but eventually gave in and attacked it again. Only this time it wasn't puss filled (really sorry for being so graphic here people ) but mainly full of blood. Needless to say it looked a mess after I'd prodded and poked it. But at least it was gone this time.

Yeah, right. It was back less than two days later. And it was bigger still and just as hard and red as before. So I was mega patient and left it for over a fortnight. I grew used to the sight of it. But then it gained a brother, which was really frustrating (as was the girl at work who was recommending her mother's traditional Chinese medicine as a solution to my acne She's a sweetheart, though really). The new one went away as quickly as the other spots on the rest of my face were, but the original one wasn't going away. Basically I had a spot in the same place for about three months. As I said I grew used to the sight of it. But that didn't make it any better.

One night after watching the Clint Eastwood film Escape From Alcatraz (I really want to go there; I love the film The Rock) I decided it was time for action. I figured there was only one way to prevent this spot from ever coming back. I took the drastic step of literally carving the spot and surround skin from under my eyebrow. I used a pumice stone (that you use to rub off old skin from your feet) like a file and gritted my teeth as I set to work scraping off skin. There was blood everywhere and I was in agony. But this spot had caused me a lot a pain for months and these days I can take a lot of pain (I think acne sufferers could easily handle a shotgun to the kneecaps from close range).

Anyway, I basically cut out a whole chunk of flesh from the affected area. It took about an hour 'cos the pumice stone was no knife and I kept washing the area to see what I was filing away. Eventually I thought I'd cut it out once and for all and doused the wound in aftershave to keep it clean. I put tissue paper on the cut and went to bed. Then next day the wound didn't look as clean as it had before. I'd obviously been bleeding a lot in the night and I was in a lot of discomfort. But it all paid off because the spot never came back. I have the memory of it with a small scar and a slight lack of symmetry where I must have changed the shape of the bridge of my nose forever, but I was just grateful it never came back.

Has anyone had a similarly persistent spot?

By the way, I'm not recommending to anyone that they hack at their face. Please don't do that.
sounds like a cyst man, i once had a reocurring one that ironically left me with the deepest scar on my face, i suggest not ever messing with those things though

Old 12-05-2003, 10:58 PM   #3

TheWildSide HB User

HAHAHAH Yo that had to be one of the funniest posts ive read here. I always wondered if the amateur surgery would work. THose are totally the kind of zits i get and, even after the doc injects them wth cortisone, they get huge and then not so big and then back to huge. They just don't go away man. *busts out the scapel and some gauze*

Old 12-06-2003, 04:43 AM   #4

Astf HB User

Ow. Although, I know how you feel. I have often wondered about whether surgery on my face would be a good idea, but I've never gone as far as you have--but then, I don't have cystic acne on my face.

Do you have a dermatologist? They actually perform things like this in their offices. They use a scalpel and cut out the pus sack or whatever it is. I have read that if it is not completely removed, the cyst can come back. If you have a derm, you should ask them to do this for you. You'd probably get less scarring.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Well, I didn't really think about consulting a dermatologist about it 'cos I guessed they'd just say I should leave it to its own devices and hope for the best. I know my amatuer surgery was probably the craziest thing to do but I was at my wits end with it. I promise you, the pain of scraping away the flesh was nothing compared to the daily agony of the spot itself.

Does anyone know if there's a reason why a spot would keep recurring in the same place? Is it simply because the old bacteria never went away? My guess is that because it was in the corner under my eyebrow that it wasn't getting the same blood flow and external oxgen as other parts of my face.

Closed Thread