It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
HORMONES are the cause of acne

hormones are the cause of acne.if you want to get rid of acne get rid of your hormone production.male sex hormone is the cause of acne and body hair in humans.other names for this are androgens,testosterone.if you want to take it to the extreme get rid of your reproductive organs.and stay on spiro in case your adrenal gland is still producing some.i might do that but i dont think anyone else has to go that far.on diet.............almost everyone in america eats way too much junk if they have acne or not.if a certain diet helps your skin then do it.then we wouldnt need an acne board anymore.some of us might not be eating bad but are suffering because are parents and grandparents ate crap.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Inactive

sunfell HB User
Re: HORMONES are the cause of acne

haha, geez joeh. Come on. You know hormone imbalance is a symptom as well as a cause, like bacteria, like zinc deficiency etc. If you want to get rid of acne, give your body what it needs to maintain and balance your hormones. Give your body what it needs for proper skin health. Get rid of your reproductive organs? Why would you do that if you haven't tried the diet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

ok i can agree with hormone imbalance if you mean i have too much androgens for my body.so whats the difference if i suppress it with an anti-androgen.....spiro or with diet....im still going to end up sterol.maybe with a female the diet would help but for me it wouldnt unless it works as an anti-androgen.yes boys start at puberty with a hormonal imbalance so thats why they break out until their body adjusts to its hormones.mine did not.my body structure is more female than male.i got mistakin for a girl a lot of times.when i was 34 a girl i worked for said i look like a 5 year old boy.my body will never adjust to its hormones.....well maybe when im sterol or 60 and sterol.well maybe i should have been a girl.this would have been an improvment over 27 years of this crap just cause my body didnt develope right.maybe i should go on a tv show like jenny jones.when i started to get hair on my body i freaked out.....when i got acne i freaked out.mainly i had too much hair and too much acne for my body.yea i have a hormonal imbalance but i dont think diet was the cause.its like my mind is functioning female like but my sexual preferance is female.it kinda sucks cause you really never quite fit in with the guys or the girls....your always inbetween.i cant get shoved over to the male side because i have to much testosterone now so i guess i decided to get shoved over to the female side mainly because i had it with boils,cysts.remember nobody here is taking what im taking.this is why i think girls have acne.......they either arnt producing enough estrogen to balance out with their androgens or they are producing too many androgens.well lets just say me and a ton of girls have the same problem.diet isnt going to change my bone structure.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:20 AM   #4

JanetinHouston HB User

Joeh,

The name of the condition you are referring to is called Hirsutism. An overproduction of male hormones can come from two different places: either your pituitary gland or your adrenal gland. Beware of any doctor who does not do the necessary blood tests to see which gland in not functioning properly. You need to determine this is order to be placed on the appropriate medicine.

Some people, like in my case, were born with it. Others can develop it.

If any of you readers do research on Hirsutism and you feel you may have it, you need to seek out the help of an Endocrinologist. I went to many dermatologists and general practice doctors from the age of 12 to about 23 and all tried to treat the acne and not get to the root of why the acne was occuring.

Last edited by JanetinHouston; 12-08-2003 at 11:26 AM.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Joeh,
NO, please don't think like that. You will NOT end up sterol if you suppress your hormones through diet. That's because you will actually be working on balancing them, and whatever nutrients your body wasn't able to convert, produce, or absorb, will now have a much better opportunity to do so.

I understand that you don't want to drop your current regimen. Trust me I do. I stayed on Avandia for several months after changing my diet. Then I thought it might be causing me some problems (like how the estrogen might be affecting your moods now) and so I stopped it. While SCIENCE and other Former Acne Sufferers TESTIMONIES said that changing your diet to a Hormonal Balancing Diet one would clear you, I was still soo afraid that I was going to breakout. I was in the midst of my Breakout Cycle and .....nothing bad happened. 1 Month past, 2 months past, 3 and so forth until finally more than a year has past. Heck I don't even take Spiro as often as I used to. Maybe I will take it for a whole week, other times not for 2 weeks. It varies. I was never perfect on the spiro once I realized that it didn't have as BIG of an effect as I was hoping. The main reason I still keep it (haven't refilled my prescription yet) is because of the mild hirsutism that I KNOW it has helped. Yet, if I perfect my diet (one of these days) that should be reduced even more so than it already has through changing my diet.

I just don't want you to limit your OPTIONS. I wish I knew how diet could effect our self-esteem, but all I know is that carbohydrates can make people feel more Hyperactive, Depressed, Cloudy, and/or Fatigued. So dropping some of them MAY help improve your mood some. Just like you are thrilled as can be and are shouting your Remedy all over the board, that's how happy I am. It feels even better to know that it wasnt' because of medication. Prior to me going off of the Avandia, since I wasn't certain about my diet, I was soo hesitant about wanting to bring children into this world with my genes. Now, I still don't want to put my body through that for all the kids I want to have (probably adopt some), but now I'm so confident in KNOWING that I can handle the whole psychotic pregnancy as well as being able to provide the knowledge, etc neccessary to help my future kids overcome (prevent) any such hormonal problems from happening to them. It feel soooo amazing.

It's the FREEDOM that I get from knowing that I'm not tied down by any medication or supplement. That's good to know because what if one day you cant afford them or the supplements become overRegulated by the govt. and what was once affordable is now beyond what you could afford. I suppose the same fear exists when you think of the foods we eat, in terms of GMO foods and Pollution, but what I do know is more and more governement officials, doctors, scientists, and even resturants are recognizing the EFFECTIVENESS of a Low Carbohydrate Diet! I don't ever see this as something dying or as some sort of fad, because there are way too many books and way too many Low Carb Diets, for their not to be some truth (and there is) to these diets. The problem is what is the RIGHT low Carb diet. There are some bad ones out there and there are some VERY good ones.

So now I'm starting to look at other aspects of nutrient deffiency to see why my hair doesn't like to grow or stick around very long (on my head). I started developing dandruff 2 years ago and I've ALWAYS had dry hair. Of course doing some research last night it started to make sense. While I have the whole hormonal DHT reason for the problem, its' also because I'm EFA defficient. I've always had Dry skin, with the exception of my face (used to be very oily) and upper body. Then last night while I was deep conditioning my hair I started to think about the things that my body responds to best, that's usually natural products. It's usually products that naturally contain EFAs like Shea butter, Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Jojoba Oil etc. These were things that absorb into my hair and skin and made them both very happy.

So upon doing research, I found out that through the introduction of Partially Hydrogenated or Hydrogenated oils/Transfatty Acids in the 1940s, not only increased Insulin Resistance (these altered/Abnormal fats--alter proteins--alter insulin--cells don't recognize this Abnormal Insulin--increases productiong of More Insulin--increases production of more MALE hormones, etc) and other diseases that are a result (coronary heart disease, obesity, non-insulin dependent diabetes, TypeII) but they also PREVENT conversion of Omega 3 (most people are defficient in this one) and Omega 6 oils in the body by denaturing the enzymes neccessary for conversion, thus INCREASING one's fatty acid deficiency. That's a good example of how Foods, or the Wrong foods (usually altered) can become ENZYME INHIBITORS and consquently increase your nutrient defficiencies and hormonal imbalance. These Bad oils I've decreased consumption of, but I haven't made it my goal to eliminate 100% because its HARDER to eliminate these (and still eat ready made food) than it was to Eliminate Wheat/Gluten (that's in 90% of ready-made foods). Again, I've known the answers, but I didn't fully understand the right way of accomplishing my goal (thank you Sunfell). So now that's something I need to work on ;-)

Hey Sunfell, do you know of any good EFAs supplements. I would take these things religiously but I have trouble swallowing the large capsules. Know of any brands with smaller capsules or a good tasting liquid brand?

Thanks

P.S., Some FYIs:
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=7910281&dopt=Abstract[/url]

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=8001841&dopt=Abstract[/url]

but the Scientific studies are still rather up and down on this issue. Are Partially Hydrogenated Oils safer than Hydrogenated? Would it also depend on the kind of oil that's been altered? Not to mention wether or not these oils contain pesticides. Until they figure it out, I guess avoiding as much as possible and seeing what happens is one's best bet.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-08-2003 at 12:23 PM.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:49 PM   #6
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Hi Sweetjade; Hi everyone

Sweetjade, I definitely agree with you that Joeh shouldn't take the extreme measures that he mentioned, and that he should, indeed, try the low carb diet. However, haven't you conceded yourself that many of the acne sufferers out there do not in fact have a hormonal inbalance; but, most likely, are merely overly sensitive to the androgens that they do have. If this is the case, would a diet bring about the improvements that are desperately sought? One more thing; it has been said that even healthy whole grains are metabolized almost as quickly as refined grains, which as we know is bad for insulin levels. If this is true, how is it that Sunfell's diet works? I'm currently on Sunfell's diet, so I'm very interested

Take care everyone, and good luck!!!

Last edited by Karl2; 12-08-2003 at 10:47 PM.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Hey Karl,
Actually while I was looking up some articles on Hydrogenated oils, I came across one on whole grains. Basically it said that Whole Grains have always been known to Reduce Insulin Resistance and Type II Diabetes over Refined Grains. I didn't check the date on that, but I don't deny that for certain people all they need to do is clean up their diet by eliminating the refined foods. Several former acne suffers can attest to that and this is mainly why Sunfells Diet works. With the exception of eliminating dairy, his diet seems to be primiarily a Whole Foods diet. He wants you to eliminated all processed, refined, and hydrogenated foods from your diet. I suppose the reason why a variety of these diets work is because they all help us eliminate ENOUGH of the aggrivators so that we can (sometimes) get away with consuming the few aggrivators that are left. That's my theory anyway ;-)

As for the average acne sufferer just being sensitive to normal amounts of their hormones, I'm guessing that's why Prescriptions, OTC treatments, and just changing their skincare is what does the trick. I suppose for others that are sensitive, that's not enough and so going on BC or Spiro will do the trick as well. Yet, I think that for these people usually they also grow out of getting Puberty or Adult Acne.

Now, based on what I'm learning and what others are bringing into the mix a change in diet may also work or it may not. I think that there's no harm in at least giving this an HONEST TRY. Do whatever needs to be done, consult your doctor, nutritionist, and parents beforehand, but there's nothing wrong with following one of these diets for a few weeks or months, especially under supervision. Considering that the foods we are avoiding are among the top allergens or irritants and that some of them have also been modified in some way, I think it holds to reason that they could still have a negative effect on even sensitive individuals.

When researching this stuff, and I certainly haven't put together all the peices, there were so many ways that the wrong foods could hinder your health and hormonal balance. Just like there's various reasons why some of us produce too much hormones, maybe there's a reason people are too sensitive to these hormones. So even if eliminating these foods only slightly reduce their hormone levels since they are normal, that could be enough to make everything fall back into balance.

So, with over 60% of the U.S. population "obese" and a continued rise in Type II Diabetes, who's to say these sensitive individuals won't be apart of the statistic? Just because they aren't showing symptoms now, doesn't mean they wont show other symptoms later. Ultimately, eventually for their own health's sake one wants to adjust their diet.

Anyway, that's my take. How are things going for you? =)

Old 12-08-2003, 11:40 PM   #8
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Things are going pretty good, and thanks for asking. I hope your doing well? Your so busy helping others and dispensing valuable information, that relatively few ask how your doing. It's funny this diet scheme that people such as your kind self and others have introduced me to - seems to be a world of infinite possibility; for example, I recently purchased Leo Kiesen's book: Your Last Acne Solution; talk about getting value for your money!! I can't believe he follows that regimen everyday. I think I heard you mention that you have this book somewhere. Your work on these boards is remarkable.

Bye for now

Last edited by Karl2; 12-08-2003 at 11:44 PM.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:26 AM   #9
Inactive

sunfell HB User

Karl it is true this diet does not concern itself with glycemic load at all. That may or may not be a result of this diet. The directions of this diet are not low carb, just the opposite! The directions are to eat more fruits vegetables and nuts than meat. Of course, this is not to say that eating more meat will not work the same. If glycemic load had anything to do with anything other than simply aggravating acne, then low glycemic diets would cure acne or drugs like metformin would cure acne. They simply do not. This diet does. The reason I believe this diet works is because it avails your body with more magnesium. The only way to really test that idea would be to give you a magnesium injection.

You might be interested to know that prednisone depletes magnesium.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-09-2003 at 12:34 AM.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:06 AM   #10
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfell
Karl it is true this diet does not concern itself with glycemic load at all. That may or may not be a result of this diet. The directions of this diet are not low carb, just the opposite! The directions are to eat more fruits vegetables and nuts than meat. Of course, this is not to say that eating more meat will not work the same. If glycemic load had anything to do with anything other than simply aggravating acne, then low glycemic diets would cure acne or drugs like metformin would cure acne. They simply do not. This diet does. The reason I believe this diet works is because it avails your body with more magnesium. The only way to really test that idea would be to give you a magnesium injection.

You might be interested to know that prednisone depletes magnesium.
Hi Sunfell,

I am very interested in this prednisone/magnesium connection. I noticed that you didn't specify how much magnesium is required in your supplement regimen. I've read that magnesium is useful as a hormone stabilizer, and that supplementing should be in the 900mg or higher range. Is this your angle?

Old 12-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Karl,
Thanks for asking about me. I'm doing good as well. It's so interesting to see how my skin fluctuates from being oily to having large pores because I ate certain sugars to being close to dry (remember I still have EFA deficiencies) and smaller pores when I behave and don't eat much sugar. Isn't it the weirdest feeling to see how much control you actually do have over this???

Although, I have to agree that this diet isn't really about the glycemic load or index. The average person, if they are following the Food Pyramid would be getting 200g - 800g of carbohydrates (includes junkfoods and refined foods) A DAY! I cut out nearly 50% of the carbs in my diet when I eliminated Gluten grains and some other specifics and I'm still on 200g - 300g carbohydrate diet. So I absolutely don't push anyone to live off of only 30 - 100g! After all, an apple or a small box of organic raseins tops that minimum ;-)

That's what's even more interesting, because I'm eating some foods that are much higher in carbohydrates than Bread itself is. So that leads one to look into the whole Paleolithic Diet, Blood Type Diet, Acne Prescription etc, where the problem has to do loosely with sugar and insulin, but they focus more so on your body's Inflammatory Response due to being Intolerant to certan foods. So there's just so many valid possibilites that it can get confusing, but somewhere in there the truth lies.

Now, in terms of protein intake, mine has probably stayed the same if not dropped in some ways because I don't eat as much processed foods (they usually have some wheat in them). So I don't tell people to load up on protein either because that can cause problems and I've actually found one study that lumped Dairy, Polyunsaturated oils and Protein as actually increasing ones IGF-1 levels (which increases cell proliferation, and androgen production).

So it seems that everything can be good or bad depending on the way it's processed or the way you consume it (food combining??? lol ). Like Sunfell mentions that it's not one single thing, but it's the combination of things that are causing the problem. Maybe a single food on it's own can be good or bad, but in combination with others it could be BETTER or Worse. Perhaps just like we should take a Multivitamin or a B-Complex in order to prevent any defficiencies or imbalances caused by certain vitamins, the same can be said for the way we eat our foods.

Oh yeah and I do have that book. I bought mine last year when it was called "Acne Miracle", but he's recently updated it to further explain why avoidance of certain foods reduces acne (he actually mentions a bit of the insulin resistance process). I purchased it because I was hoping that it would explain what others have been saying about diet, but it wasn't quite what I expected. It was a VERY good book though, at explaining certain aspect of supplements, etc. Except, no one (I hope) has to do all those things. The reason he does, is because he refuses to give up some other or CERTAIN foods. Everyone is different though. Give up something else for a less complicated Regimen or don't and (maybe) deal with that. ;-)

I will say that everyone should first try altering their diets correctly. Then Go to supplements and then if that doesn't work, then use Medications. Although, I believe most of us went about it in the opposite direction ;-)

Take care

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-09-2003 at 12:38 PM.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:30 PM   #12
Inactive

sunfell HB User

Hi Karl,

No it is the ratio which gets results. Magnesium itself gets results. If you take magnesium/calcium blend then get a 2:1 ratio. It does not matter how much you take. Take as much as you can tolerate without getting diarrea. For most people this is under 400mg. Magnesium is one of the most difficult supplements to get into your body but even a small amount helps. You really need an injection or an IV. Magnesium is definitely a hormone stabilizer. It is required for the stabilization of hormones. Prednisone and other corticosteriods deplete magnesium. There are medications that deplete magnesium as well and I'm willing to bet one of their potential side effects is acne. All people with acne have one thing in common: a western diet. The hallmark of the western diet is magnesium depletion.

You might be interested to know that vitamin B6 aids in the utilization of magnesium.

Magnesium is essential for enzyme activation, the digestion of food, energy production and activation of the sodium-potassium pump. This is why I believe these food intolerances are symptoms as well as contributors. It is a vicious cycle. We have never in our evolutionary history consumed such high calcium diets and with the addition of refined food ingredients, it is really no wonder more and more people are getting acne on the western diet.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-09-2003 at 10:36 PM.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

i knew a guy i used to work with had boils and acne and was diebetic.they put him on accutane.and yes i am going to the extreme because im over 40 and my face couldnt stand anymore topicals.now i weight 156 and im not on a diet.i dropped weight long before i was on spiro.i was diagnosed as being anorexia.i dont think i was but i just never got that hungry.but i used to worry all the time about what i ate.im getting another thermage done on friday at a cost of either 1350 dollars or 1600 dollars depending how many tips he has to use.i been eating like crap lately cause im on spiro and dont break out.i figure its been over 14 months and the damage has been done.im probably sterol for life.so probably no hetersexual girls is gonna want me cause i cant have sex and i dont like guys so i guess im stuck with staying alone or date lesbians.so since most lesbians are not that taking to transexual females unless i look pretty good.that mean i have to go up to montreal to the gender reasignment hospital and get 15,000 dollars of plastic surgery on my face done so i can date a lesbian girl.i already spent 10,000 in scar reduction treatments over the last 2 years.i told my derm that i just want my face clear a have a girl that i love.thats all i asked for in life.so he gives me a hard time and tells me to get my hair cut and i would get a girl,but im keeping my hair long incase i have to be a girl.so he wants to get me off spiro/prem and put me on low doses of accutane for life.he going to do another thermage on my face friday and he said when im up in canada they might want to use artecoll to fill in any depressions.my derms in harrisburg,pa and he is fairly cheep....pricewise.i know this all might sound stupid,even some transexuals are trying to talk me out of it.i noticed one thing when i went to the transgendered meeting in philly last year that not one of them had a zit.and there were a lot of younger ones between the ages of 18 and 25.if i never had acne i would have gotten a nice girl and gotten married.anyways sweet jade gives good advice even though i dont always listen to it.im glad you guys didnt get obsessed about your acne like i did and my scarring.i think my adrenal gland never worked right.i am getting my confidence back though.i hate being alone and the only place to go around here is wal-mart.plus it didnt help that i worked 70 hour weeks about 17 years in a row.oh yea i froze again at work tonight.ever since i got acne in high school my grades went terrible and i end up in a factory when if i had confidence went to college like everyone else in my family.im just glad i got my skin cleared up.im still going to get on a good diet even if i stay on spiro.

Last edited by joeh; 12-09-2003 at 11:28 PM.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #14
Inactive

anoldone HB User

Sweetjade, you should read what ray peat(bio chemist)says about EFA's. I tried taking barlean's flax udo's choice and codliver oil could never except once get an unsaturated oil that was not rancid. After reading peat's information i know why. Below is the summary from peat on fats

Unsaturated fats cause aging, clotting, inflammation, cancer, and weight gain.

Avoid foods which contain the polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soy, safflower, flax, cottonseed, canola, peanut, and sesame oil.

Mayonnaise, pastries, even candies may contain these oils; check the labels for ingredients.

Pork is now fed corn and soy beans, so lard is usually as toxic as those oils; use only lean pork.

Fish oils are usually highly unsaturated; "dry" types of fish, and shellfish, used once or twice a week, are good. Avoid cod liver oil.

Use vitamin E.

Use coconut oil, butter, and olive oil.

Unsaturated fats intensify estrogen's harmful effects.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:29 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Joeh,
Man my heart goes out to you soo much. It suxs the way acne can screw with us. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a good support system or the finances to help with their problem. There just seems to be sooo much going on with you and I'm curious if your doctor ever diagnosed your hormonal disorder. Do you know what he tested your for? Do you have the name of those blood/urine tests with you?

So far it seems like you have depression (?), excess testosterone, yet at the same time, your body didn't develop as masculinely as you would have hoped, right? Do any of your family members have any of these problems? Do the males look more masculine then you? How were your breakouts again? Did they come seasonally? Monthly? Or everytime you had sex?

Right now I'm soo tired, but I wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you and what you were saying earlier. I remember coming across some hormonal disorders that involved male insensitivity to androgens, such as Celiac Disease and Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia, but I don't know if any of them apply to you. I'll check more later, but til then here's some articles I found:

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12065930&dopt=Abstract[/url]

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=64806[/url]

Nighty night

Closed Thread