It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 07:52 PM   #1

matahari HB User
Talking Yay!! I got Spiro today!

I finally had my doctors appt today and finally got spiro! She took one look at my face and how bad I scar and prescribed me 25mg sprio once a day & 250mg Erythromycin twice daily. I also switched my BCPs back to Apri (which kept me clear for a year when I thought it was the ProActiv doing it) I feel like a total prescription drug junkie, but I will do anything to have clear skin again! I'm a little worried about the Erythromycin (anibiotics)... has anyone been on them and if so, did they help? I only want to take them for a few weeks at a time so that I dont become immune to them.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
Inactive

temple HB User
Re: Yay!! I got Spiro today!

erythromycin worked pretty well for me for the first few months and then my skin seemed to become immune to it and i started breaking out again, so now im going back on accutane. but i loved the price and no side effects except with the tablets (funny stomach) capsules are much better...and iwas on half of your dose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 03:22 AM   #3
(female)

el_9_el HB User

Erythromycin gave me mild stomach aches. I was only on it for a month but saw no improvements so changed to bactrim (a different antibiotic). It was when I finally tried out spiro, though, that things began to improve. I noticed improvements in my severe acne within five days of beginning spiro! And pretty much since then I've stopped getting pimples which is remarkable considering the state my face was in beforehand! I hope you have the same luck with it!

Old 12-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #4

matahari HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_9_el
Erythromycin gave me mild stomach aches. I was only on it for a month but saw no improvements so changed to bactrim (a different antibiotic). It was when I finally tried out spiro, though, that things began to improve. I noticed improvements in my severe acne within five days of beginning spiro! And pretty much since then I've stopped getting pimples which is remarkable considering the state my face was in beforehand! I hope you have the same luck with it!
hey el_9_el...

When you started Spiro, where you still taking bactrim? Also, what was the initial dosage on your spiro? Im on 25mg once a day, I dont know if thats going to be enough, but my face isnt that bad anymore, so I dunno. I might bump up to 50mg in a week or so if nothing happens. How long have you been on spiro?

Old 12-09-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Inactive

temple HB User

i meant to ask you, what is spiro?? its the only acne drug that ive never heard of, is it expensive? what kind of drug is it? somebody fill me in please

Old 12-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #6

matahari HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple
i meant to ask you, what is spiro?? its the only acne drug that ive never heard of, is it expensive? what kind of drug is it? somebody fill me in please
Spironolactone (or "Spiro") is a water pill (diuretic) used to help reduce water retention in addition to helping control high blood pressure. Recently it has been used to treat acne and excess hair growth in women. Spironolactone acts by blocking the effects of testosterone (androgen) on the oil glands and hair follicle. It is the male hormone testosterone which triggers the acne. The result is a reduction in oil production and facial hair growth, and the improvement of acne and excessive hair growth. The benefits are usually apparent in two to three months, but frequently within one month. This drug has been used for over 25 years and has proven quite safe and is generally well tolerated. Serious side effects are extremely rare. The most common side effect is irregularity of menstrual cycles, but if you are taking birth control pills (granted you are female), this should cause minimal problems. There are severe side effects for men who take spiro including loss of interest in sex, impotence & possible sterility because it blocks the testosterone.

Its not expensive at all... mine costs $12.00 for 30 pills through my insurance.

Last edited by matahari; 12-09-2003 at 01:26 PM.

Old 12-09-2003, 05:09 PM   #7
(female)

el_9_el HB User

heya matahari

I've been on 100mg per day of spiro for about 7 months now. I was on bactrim when I began, but I definitely attribute the dramatic improvement in my skin to the spiro. I'm no longer on the antibiotic, but am still on the spiro and am clear. Perhaps if you don't notice improvement, you could bump up your dosage to 50mg, because that still isn't a large dose. Up to 200mg can be taken daily to treat acne (I was going to move up to 200mg if I didn't see improvement with 100mg). Let us know how you go with it.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:18 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

Congrats Matahari! I have been on spiro for almost two weeks now. I am on 50 mg which I also thought was a low dose but I don't think it is. Maybe your derm put you on 25 mg since you are also taking a high dose of erythomycin at the same time. Spiro is the only oral acne pill I am taking. I am also using a 20% bp gel at night which is working as well on my nose and cheeks. I have noticed that my hormonal chin acne is all gone besides 1 pimple i got that went away that day with some BP on it. I'm excited! The only thing I am not liking is that my skin seems a little dry. Anyways, good luck with it, I hope it does wonders like it has for others!

Old 12-09-2003, 06:49 PM   #9

matahari HB User

Thanks for all your info guys!! I have a ton of faith in Spiro after reading everyone's success stories with it! I really hope it works (*fingers crossed*)

Old 12-09-2003, 10:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

spiro is fairly cheep especially if you get it generic.i get mine at wal-mart.its an anti-androgen and suppress male hormones that cause your sebasious gland to over produce sebum.my skin cleared up within 3 weeks and has been 100% perfect ever since.i have been on it for 14 months and had everything else 2 to 3 times over.im a guy and the main thing for guys is if on long enough you might get permantly sterol.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:51 AM   #11

matahari HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh
spiro is fairly cheep especially if you get it generic.i get mine at wal-mart.its an anti-androgen and suppress male hormones that cause your sebasious gland to over produce sebum.my skin cleared up within 3 weeks and has been 100% perfect ever since.i have been on it for 14 months and had everything else 2 to 3 times over.im a guy and the main thing for guys is if on long enough you might get permantly sterol.
Hey Joeh...

Did Spiro make you tired when you first started using it? I started it on Monday and I was sooooo tired yesterday & today as well even though I fell asleep at 9:00 last night & got 10 hours of sleep. Also I noticed that I'm soooo thirsty no matter how much water I drink! Did this happen to you too?

Last edited by matahari; 12-10-2003 at 07:51 AM.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

Obviously I'm not Joeh, but I just wanted to say that I definitely was VERY tired the first few days/week that I was on spiro. I didn't notice the thirst that much maybe because I drink a ton of water everyday anyways, but I'm sure it's true since it is a diuretic.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #13

matahari HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by latayy26
Obviously I'm not Joeh, but I just wanted to say that I definitely was VERY tired the first few days/week that I was on spiro. I didn't notice the thirst that much maybe because I drink a ton of water everyday anyways, but I'm sure it's true since it is a diuretic.

hey latayy26,

how long did it take for you to see results with Spiro? How bad was your acne when you started it?

PS: Is is bad to have the occational drink if I'm taking Spiro? Are there any alcohol interactions with it? Of all things, I forgot to ask my Dr, about that.

Last edited by matahari; 12-10-2003 at 02:32 PM.

Old 12-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

I have mild acne but very persistent. Never have had problems with big pimples but I seem to try and "pop" or get out blackheads or small whitheads I would get which makes my face look a lot worse than it really ever is. I have been on spiro for almost 2 weeks and I am completely clear with only one small pimple that is going away on my chin. My main problem area was my chin and it was only ever a problem about a week before my period but the pimples would take forever to heal and go away.

Also, about drinking, I went out both nights this past weekend and was "well overserved" and had no problems besides a headache in the morning and wanting lots of water. That's a normal hangover I guess but it might be worse on spiro just since it's a diuretic and makes you lose more water.

Also, I was wondering if you had to get a blood test before your derm. prescribed it for you or if he/she said anything about monitoring your blood while you are on it?? Because mine did not, so I'm just curious. Thanks.
-Latayy

Old 12-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

yes it does something to your adrenal gland.it calms you down a lot.yes and i get thirsty a lot and have to go to the bathroom a lot.if you have any unwanted body hair and you shave it.....the next time it will grow back finer.plus that you hair get real nice.and best of all at least for me is my skin totally cleared up and no more oily skin!!!!!!i have never had anything better than this and i think i had everything.now you have to keep taking this every day for it to work.i used to get cysts that swelled up my whole side of my face but no more.not even a blackhead.im on 100 mgs a day for the last 14 months.

Closed Thread