It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #1

SUFFERING654 HB User
Angry someone please help

i'm a 17 year old boy. i have extremely sensative skin, its kind of oily, but i was able to keep it under control. That is until this past summer when i got acne along with my sensative skin and I tryed to use over the counter stuff that just destroyed my face. i finally went to a dermatologist where she perscriebd benz peroxide 5%. that didn't work. my face was getting worse. then she perscribed retin-a micro along with rosanil cleanser. Well the retin-a micro has caused me nothing but grief these past months. my face became extremely red and i broke out alot. i was told this would happen and so i dealt with it. well now i'm noticing that my skin tone has gone beserk, i have several acne scars already, my face is always dry, and my dermatologist isn't helping at all. The retin-a micro is not helping. its been 3 months and i've yet to see results. my self esteem has taken a massive massive hit and lately i've been extremely stressed and for some stupid reason or another i scrubbed my face out of distress and anger yesterday very very hard. well my face started to "weep" and now i look hideous. i'm all red and blotchy and it sting even to apply water. the way i look sadly is directly related to my attitude and i'm just absolutely miserable coming to the point where i hate to show my face and yesterday just did me in. i'm assuming i have some form of dermatitis because of the massive irritaion i caused and combine that with very acne prone skin, extremely sensative skin overall, horrible skin complexion, an uncaring dermatologist, and my parents don't care too much either. i have to arrange everything myself. if i touch my skin it gets messed up. if i leave it alone it gets messed up. i really don't know what to do.

Last edited by SUFFERING654; 12-09-2003 at 10:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM   #2

matahari HB User
Re: 3 months of hell

I'm really sorry to hear about your skin problems. I was having the exact same problem for a while there too when I was using Retin-A... that stuff is the work of the devil I tell you! It made my skin a whole lot worse than it was before... dry, red, irritated with tons of little white pimples. I was using the stuff for a month and I had to quit because my face had that constant burning sensation! My advice to you... STOP USING IT RIGHT AWAY!! Go to the store and buy a Neutrogena facial cleansing bar for acne prone skin or a Purpose cleansing bar and just use that to wash your face for a while until it heals from the Retin-A damage. Use a good oil free moisturizer, I highly recommend Cetaphil. After your face is better, I would suggest another method of acne control. I would go to your regular doctor and ask them for antibiotics to treat it. Sometimes your regular doctor can be a whole hell of a lot more helpful than your derm! I also suggest trying ProActiv... it works for alot of people and it's not as harsh as prescription topicals. I highly recommend the refining mask... it's a really great spot treatment at night.

This board is full of great information about acne treatments if you take the time to read. Everyone is really nice & helpful on here too, so if you have specific questions about things, you will always get an answer.

Hope this was somewhat helpful... Good luck to you~!

Old 12-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #3

SUFFERING654 HB User

Thanks. Any suggestions for what you think happened to me yesterday? Besides the obvious that I acted very foolishly and destroyed my skin from just scrubbing out of anger. But my skin is very red, blotchy, and scaley and somewhat shiney in those areas. I have a dermatologist appointment today to celebrate my 3 months of using retin-a micro. Boy is my dermatologist gonna get a shock when she sees thats i'm like 10 times worse than when i first walked into her office maybe 6 months ago.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:46 AM   #4

gr8cre8tion HB User

i can feel u on your pain. im a female,20y/o. i have the same type of skin and i hate it! ProActiv--and it burned my skin so bad!!!! being that my skin is extremely sensitive i cant use even the stuff thats supposed to work! i dont use makeup so my face is "in the raw". i am in the mix of researchin for microdermAbrasion, you might want to try that or info on chemical peels but im not sure if u need that. hope i helped~

Old 12-09-2003, 10:58 AM   #5

SUFFERING654 HB User

At this point, I'm willing to try pretty much anything and I really don't care how much it hurts. I'm going to talk to my erm.....disapointing dermatologist in a few hours. I never caved into any advertisements until I saw advertisements for people with acne. I bought the products and they failed. Take a look at some commercials adverstising some young 24 year old girl with a flawless face wearing some spot treatment patch on her face which is covered in a make-up. I'm just a very angry man right now because I have to drive for about 20 minutes to the doctors on extremely icy roads that have yet to be salted in an attempts to see a dermatologist who just yells about sun screen every time I go in there. I'm pretty sure sun screen isn't the answer.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #6

matahari HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUFFERING654
Thanks. Any suggestions for what you think happened to me yesterday? Besides the obvious that I acted very foolishly and destroyed my skin from just scrubbing out of anger. But my skin is very red, blotchy, and scaley and somewhat shiney in those areas. I have a dermatologist appointment today to celebrate my 3 months of using retin-a micro. Boy is my dermatologist gonna get a shock when she sees thats i'm like 10 times worse than when i first walked into her office maybe 6 months ago.

I think what happened is simply the fact that your skin was already seriously irritated & dry, and you scrubbing your face might have taken off a layer of skin of something… which explains the redness and stinging. As for the scaly/shiny areas, it might be because you stripped all the moisture from your skin. You should be alright in a few days if you just lay off the topicals and let your face heal. When you wash your face, just use your hands to do it; don't use any type of scrubbing device... (But make sure to wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap first!). When drying your face, don't wipe... blot it gently with a clean soft towel. Also I would suggest changing your sheets & pillow cases right away because there is probably Retin-A residue all over them! (Plus changing them regularly prevents acne bacteria from spreading) The Cetaphil moisturizer will help heal the dryness... it might sting a little when you use it, but that's to be expected. Talk to your derm about oral meds instead of topicals. I have sensitive oily skin and I have really bad reactions with prescription topicals (Retin A, Differin, Sulfoxyl, etc.), so you might have the same problems with them.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:17 AM   #7

SUFFERING654 HB User

thanks very much. it had crossed my mind that i might also have some underlying skin infection because at one point my cat clawed part of my face and the claw mark stretched from the corner of my lip down my neck. i put neosporin on it and the cut on my neck went awya in a few days but the the part of the stratch on my face was still there and looking bad. my regular docter gave me bactroban cream and that cleared it up in about a week. I got a scarep on my face from doing something stupid but in any case it was about 2 months ago and it ehaled but now theres a red patch of skin that looks pretty bad. actually when my face is red and irritated it almost looks better than the very very very few tiems my skin has been a softer tone because it makes that one spot stick out badly. do you think using the retin-a micro or perhaps other acne medications may have made it not heal properly or that possibly i've had some skin infection the entire time that effects my facial healing? Time never seems to heal anything for me anymore. it just makes things worse

Old 12-09-2003, 11:38 AM   #8

matahari HB User

Quote:
you think using the retin-a micro or perhaps other acne medications may have made it not heal properly or that possibly i've had some skin infection the entire time that effects my facial healing? Time never seems to heal anything for me anymore. it just makes things worse
I dont think its a skin infection from the cat scratch, but using certain acne meds. In some cases, they do more bad than good when you have sensitive skin. I dont think your skin can heal up very well when its dry, red & irritated all the time. Since I have stopped using the harsh topicals, my face not only looks better, but heals better too. Also... avoid popping & picking at all costs!!

Good luck at your derm appt! Dont let them rush you out the door... talk to them about any and all options to treat your skin. Dont leave there unless
you are happy with what they give you (You did have to risk your life on icy roads to get there ). You might want to ask them about Accutane as well, but be aware that you should rdo alot of research on it if you decide to consider it.

Hope everything works out!!

Old 12-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #9

SUFFERING654 HB User

Once again thank you very much. Is cetaphil perscription or over the counter?

Old 12-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #10

matahari HB User

Quote:
Once again thank you very much. Is cetaphil perscription or over the counter?

Cetaphil is over the counter... you can get it at pretty much any drug store in the cosmetic department for about $4.00- $6.00 a tube. Just make sure that you get the one for your face because they sell the one for your body that looks exactly the same.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:03 PM   #11

Anthony312 HB User
Re: someone please help

Ok, I had severe acne as you have when I was your age. I'm 25 now, and even though its not that bad anymore, it is still hard to deal with.

First of all it is ok to feel depressed about it. That is just a natural reaction, to feel guilty/sad/depressed. If people act like you are strange for feeling that way, they do not know what you are going through (as I did).

First of all scrubbing like that will never help at all. Acne like yours (and mine) starts deep within the skin, so you would have to scrub all that way down!

I also used Retin A several times over the years. One time I used it for six months straight, just to give it time. It never worked for me. It only made my skin dry, red, irritated and oily.

Personally when I had acne that bad, the only thing that really helped was Accutane. There are risks with it, and you should read up on them first, but it worked great for me. Your derm will probably not want to give you Accutane because they do not want to be responsible for the risk. In order to defend themselves in court they will have to say that they tried x,y and z first, and that they did not have sufficient results.

I would say ask your derm about it, and if they seem like they might be open to it down the line, stick with them fro a while, try other things and then you can take it. It's a long wait but it was worth it for me.

Remember scrubbing and overwashing will always hurt not help! I learned that the hard way. Treat your skin gently.

Besides Accutane I would really suggest using Clindamycin Phosphate, and some oral antibiotics. If you have little bumps on your foehead use Differin there (but only there because it will dry out other part of your face). Differin is also a good on the spot treatment.

Also I have found that 100% Aloe Gel is a really good balancing moisturizer. Jut make sure to wash your hands with antibacterial soap, and then gently rub it in for a minute so that it really soaks in. This will also help heal your face.

Once again try Clindamycin Phosphate, and some oral antibiotics.

Good luck buddy. Don't get discouraged and stop going to the derm. Just keep it up and always be gentle on your face!

Old 12-09-2003, 12:05 PM   #12

SUFFERING654 HB User

Thank you. Well I'm off to the dermatologist right now. Hopefully I'll come back with the news of a pill that cures acne, fixes facial tone, heal dry skin, and works overnight for only 5 easy payments of only $19.99! But I'm not getting my hopes up. However this board has helped me somewhat emotionally and I thank you for that.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #13

justaguy1 HB User

Yea derms r retarded. They are just guessing on acne its not like they actually have some higher knowledge about the disease becuz they wear a white coat.

I'd highly highly suggest start reading about changing your diet. You can see extremely good results very quickly with the right diet. Sorry I don't have time for a huge post on it, but you have to do your own research anyway. There is a huge post on here by sunfell that is very good.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:38 PM   #14

SUFFERING654 HB User

Ok I'm back from the dermatologist. She said my acne isn't that bad at all but she also took the time to listen to why i was depressed etc which was nice of her really. My face did indeed look horrible but it was all scaley and red and blotchy over both my cheeks and a little above my eyebrows. She said to use a mild facial mosterizer in teh morning with SPF 15. She also gave me a perscription for Westcort Cream. Has anyone had any experiences with this stuff? Apparently its an anti-inflammatory cream but it's always good to hear from soemone who used it. Well anyways i'm supposed to apply it for 2 weeks until my skin calms down. then after the damage caused by retin-a is over, she said i should use the retin-a ONCE a week. She said I waited too long to contact her again from when i was using the retin-a until i came in today and that teh dosage i was on was way too powerful for my skin. She also said it would close up my pores and heal the couple of scars I have and that over time heal my skin complextion. Personally I don;t have that much faith in retin-a. But for now i'm concerned about anyone with experiences with Westcort Cream. Thanks for all your help. This board is great.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Quote:
At this point, I'm willing to try pretty much anything and I really don't care how much it hurts. I'm going to talk to my erm.....disapointing dermatologist in a few hours. I never caved into any advertisements until I saw advertisements for people with acne. I bought the products and they failed. Take a look at some commercials adverstising some young 24 year old girl with a flawless face wearing some spot treatment patch on her face which is covered in a make-up. I'm just a very angry man right now because I have to drive for about 20 minutes to the doctors on extremely icy roads that have yet to be salted in an attempts to see a dermatologist who just yells about sun screen every time I go in there. I'm pretty sure sun screen isn't the answer.
If your face is in pain then stop what you are doing. Pain means you are damaging your skin. Use a very mild cleanser like Cetaphil and dont use any cleanser that irritates or causes pain. You are not healing your skin when you are irritating it.

Closed Thread