It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM   #1

SUFFERING654 HB User
retin-a micro not working

i figured i'd tone down this post as my last one was irritated. I've been on retin-a micro for about 11 weeks now. my skin is gradually getting worse and its actually causing me social axiety and depression. I apply a couple pea sized drops to cover my entire face before i go to bed at night. My face gets extremely red and irritated and blotchy. I don;t even know what my skin tone is anymore except to say that its bad if theres a word for it. Every one in while my face looks like its getting better but then i breakout. I've always been very accident prone the past few months getting constant scrapes and cuts on my face and despite my best efforts they've turned into scars. My dermatologist really sucks and I need a new one but when your parents don;t really care and you are in extreme depression my motivation and self esteem are just gone.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Re: retin-a micro not working

I have been using Rretin A Micro for almost a year and it did take about 3 months for me to see results. I did suffer from considerable dryness.

I am sorry that you are getting so depressed about it. I was taking an oral antibiotic when I fist started it....I know you said you don't like your derm, but have they prescribed anything else along wit the Retin A micro? I have found that finding the right "combination" of stuff is what really makes the difference in the results.

Hang in there...I hope it gets better for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 11:41 AM   #3

SUFFERING654 HB User

I was using rosanil cleanser (sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfer 5%) but that seemed to make it worse so i tryed a few over the counter cleansers like stri-dex deep foam and then i was using an avveno cleanser/toner that worked well until i started to break out from it. then i used a few other cleaners but using them with the retin-a micro just made me feel worse. The reason i'm posting on this board today is because I've pretty much hit rock bottom. My face has never looked worse and this is supposed to be the timemy acne should have cleared up. its not like i have tons of pimples because i really don't, my face looked better when i first started goin to the dermatologisy because all i had were pimples but now instead i have a suffering suffering skin tone loaded with blemishes and having sensative skin, if i were to rub a fingertip on my face, it would swell in that area for about 20 minutes. if i ever attempted to scratch i swear a pimple forms. and i actually have large pores that i swear weren't there before. it really sucks. i don't even want to go out to the store until i feel somewhat healed. going to the dermatologist today is hard enough.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #4

mossimo HB User

I was on retina for years (not that it really helped much, but I figured it couldn't hurt). If you are having such a negative reaction, maybe retinas not for you or maybe you need to use it differently. I use to put retina on before I went to bed as well, but I would wake up with my skin peeling. My derm gave me benzoyl peroxide and suggested I use this at bedtime instead and use retina during the day. It seemed to work better. Retina's very potent stuff and you may benefit more by using it during the day instead of at night.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:47 AM   #5

SUFFERING654 HB User

My dermatologist suggested using retin-a during the day for one week....it was horrible....i wore sunblock but for some reason i got the worst burn ever on my face. however it was the first time in awhile that my skin was all one color granted it was bright red and eventually started peeling even more.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User

Hey SUFFERING,

For starters, when you are using RAM you absolutely NEED to be cleansing with something MILD MILD MILD. Forget the acne stripping cleansers, forget the toners, and anything else but something gentle. Perhaps that may have added to your increased dryness and sensitivity.

Look, I've been there and I've done it all...I am sure that I am old enough to be your mom. You will get better, but you've got to take charge and try and be a little more positive. We are all here to help you. First things first...if you choose to use medications, they need to be used as directed. RAM comes in different strengths...maybe you need the lowest dose.

Have a better day today. D~

Old 12-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #7

Amoira HB User

One other really important thing is to make sure you don't apply it right after you wash. You want to make certain that your skin is completely dry and your hands are too. This helps to reduce the irritation.

Closed Thread