It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Inactive

temple HB User
has anyone ever been put on a low dose of accutane??

hi everyone! i have been hearing a lot about how movie stars and actors stay on a constant low dose of accutane to prevent breakouts. my acne is not very severe and i am thinking of trying a low dose (half a pill a day) because it is very important for my career, to have great skin. has anyone ever been prescribed a continous low dose? i just ordered accutane online, and im not sure how much to take. this will be my second time taking it. i took one a day for 5 months, about 10 years ago, and it was the only thing that has ever worked for me. (in case youre wondering why im going to this extreme) any info, please help me out, thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Re: has anyone ever been put on a low dose of accutane??

Would half a pill a day be about 7-8mg? It's a good question - why don't they perscribe it as a controlling mechanism as well as a "cure"? I guess the answer isw because, even at low doses, taking it long term could cause permanent damage to the liver. I would ask a professional, but it can't do any harm to take a short course in the mean time - as long as you didn't suffer serious side effects before. By the way, what's you profession? Model, actor, presenter? Sounds mysterious

Last edited by jhart999; 12-09-2003 at 02:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #3

TheWildSide HB User

I've just been prescribed 10 mg a day. Does that even do anything? Well, I guess we'll find out soon enough. The script is being filled tommorrow. You might try goin to your primary care physician, tell them that you're taking a ton of b5 and think it would be a good idea to have your liver checked out. Have them run some blood work and see what the results are. Where did you hear about celebs using accutane?

Last edited by TheWildSide; 12-09-2003 at 09:22 PM.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #4
(male)

Pymp22 HB User

Keep your results posted on how a low dose does for you! I really want to go back on accutane, but my acne is not bad enough. Accutane was the only thing that made my skin completely clear! I didn't have one bad side effect while i was using it either.
Hopefully it works for you!

Old 12-09-2003, 10:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

I'm currently on my 1st month of a "low-dose" course of Accutane (10mg/day). My dermatologist said low-dose, long-term has an equal chance of being effective as high-dose, short term. I personally don't think it'll work because in the past, I've been up to 120mg/day.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

my derm wants to put me on low doses of accutace for life.and my sisters derm had her 13 year old boy on low doses without any blood test!!!!!! hey but its her kid not mine.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:38 AM   #7
(female)

Yella HB User

In the beginning of the year I was on a low dose of accutane (I think it was like 10-30 mg?) one pill a day for 4 months. I'm a female 5'4 125 lbs. My dermatologist was going to put me on for 5 months but said that it wouldn't of made a difference. I had few side affects-just a little dry lips/hair, no more oily skin . I stopped taking them in May and 6 months later (in nov.) I'm breaking out all over again! It's getting really bad where I think I might have to take accutane again. Before I took it I heard all this hype like it will take away your pimples, your scars, AND you aint never gonna see em again (unless you're a rare case).. I figure if you're not having some serious dry skin side affects, your dose isn't high enough. I really wish my derm. had put me on a higher dose or kept me on longer cause im breaking out badly like before I took accutane. im pretty angry actually.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:58 PM   #8

TheWildSide HB User

After a huge ordeal involving prior authorization codes with the insurance companies and calling different numbers and bothering my derms secretaries, I got my little 10mg. pills today. I'll keep you guys posted with my progress.

Closed Thread