It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #1

lil_hale HB User
Unhappy I"m 14 with acne and mom won't take me to a dermotoligist...What can i do?

Hi,I'm 14 and in 8th grade with acne I've tried all kinds of stuff to get rid of it and nothing is working ive tried washing my face everyday with differant types of sops the little face pad things and the toothpaste(suppose to dry it out)And nothing is working my mom wont take me to a dermotoligist because she says its not that bad but i dont feel good about myself and it bothers me that i ahve it.Its mostly on my fore head(my hair covers that up though)and on bothe my cheeks and its all red where the acne is.Also my nose has TONS of tiny blackheads on it what can i do for those?ive thried the stip things already.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User
Re: I"m 14 with acne and mom won't take me to a dermotoligist...What can i do?

If your mom didn't have acne then she probably just doesn't understand what you're going through. It doesn't have to be really bad to cause you emotional pain because of it. Especially at your age because the people around you at school can be real jerks about it. Try talking to your mom again. And I know it can difficult to discuss because it's easy to be embarrassed talking about your acne, but if you can get your mom to understand, you'd really be better off seeing a derm as it could save you from getting scars which you could have the rest of your life.

But if she simply won't let you go to a derm, don't worry too much, you're among friends here and we'll help you as much as we can. Okay?

First, a few questions for you so we can better know what suggestions to offer. Are you a girl? Do you mainly get whiteheads, pimples that are all red, or cysts under the skin that don't go away for ages? Do you wear make-up? Do you touch your face often?

Okay, now on to the part you're waiting for - advice! Ditch the pads, toothpaste, and pore strips! Trust me, you're only hurting yourself with those. The pads might make things worse because you're scrubbing your skin too much or they can be drying you out too much. Toothpaste can dry up a pimple, but today most toothpaste is full of gunk for whitening and such, and you really don't want that on your skin, so be careful. And pore strips can irritate your skin. I've tried them, they're crap and don't get the blackheads out at all. So let's get you a new system, alright?

First we'll see if the redness and forehead pimples are made worse by your shampoo. Try switching to Head and Shoulders. For a lot of people, it actually helps with acne.

Now for some actual treatment. It seems like you've been torturing your skin, so let's try being gentle. You can actually get good results just by the cleansers you use. I suggest the following:

Oil of Olay for sensitive skin - for make-up removal or when you want to wash without the harshness of acne cleansers (good for washing around your eyes)

Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub (SA treatment) - wonderful stuff for removing flakey skin and treating clogged pores

Clean & Clean Continuous Control (BP treatment) - prevents future breakouts

Now here's how you use them. Wash your face only twice a day, morning and night. Start with the Olay as your main cleanser since it won't dry you out, while the others might if you rush them. Use the blackhead clearing scrub either in the mornings or at night, not both, and start with only using it every other day until you get used to it. And don't actually scrub! Be very gentle, avoid around your eyes. Just wet your face (or have it already wet if you just used the Olay for make-up removal), put a little of the scrub in your hand with some water and rub your hands together a bit, then gently wash your face for about 30 seconds, then rinse thoroughly. Wetting your face and rubbing your cleansers in your palm first with a some water is the best way to wash with most cleansers. Give this a week, then you can move to using the scrub once every day if you have no dryness or redness.

Next, we add the Continuous Control. This is an important step since the combination of SA and BP treatments does wonders compared to using either alone. Wash with this at night (don't use the SA first). Just use a little, and don't leave it on your skin long at all. Just gently rub it on, then rinse it right off. Some people can't tollerate BP, so you should start off slow. You might even want to wash with the Olay after to make sure you don't leave any on your skin. Make sure your skin doesn't get red or itchy in a few hours. If it doesn't, you should be fine. Now for the next week, you'll use SA scrub one day, and BP Continuous Control wash the next. Alternate them. If you have no problems, start leaving the BP wash on your face for about 20 seconds before rinsing, and don't use Olay afterward.

If you have no trouble with redness or peeling, you can work your way up to using the SA scrub every morning and the BP cleanser every night. If you don't use make-up, you won't need the Olay anymore. But never use SA or BP products around your eyes or on your lips! So keep the Olay for taking off make-up, or for if you just have a dry skin day and need to skip the treated cleansers for a day or two.

This change from whatever you've been using could make you break out a tiny bit more during the first couple weeks as your skin adjusts. Stick with it for at least a month unless your skin gets much worse and keeps breaking out, but that shouldn't happen. You'll likely just get a few more whiteheads for a week or so, or you could simply start clearing up with no problems at all.

If you need more, get some BP cream (no stronger than 5%). Use it only at night and only a tiny bit on your pimples. After your skin is used to it, you can apply small amounts to your entire face a couple times a day. But I'd stick with only at night to avoid redness or itching from over doing it. You might also want to get a good moisturizer. I'd suggest Cetaphill for sensitive skin. Or get something with a sunscreen in it, because you should ALWAYS protect your skin from the sun, and this is critical when using acne products. You might try Olay or Neutrogena. If you have questions or concerns about certain products, ask us here at the board.

This is about the best you can do without a derm and without us knowing exactly what your skin problems are. I know I've talked your head off, so here's the rundown again in simple form:

Morning:
wash face with SA scrub, pat dry gently
put on sun protection lotion
make-up if you use it (ask if you need make-up help)

Night:
use Olay for make-up removal
wash face with BP cleanser
use a BP spot treatment if needed
lotion if needed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 08:47 PM   #3

SUFFERING654 HB User

One thing I have to suggest is that you please not do what I did and get carried away. The people at this board are very nice. Do not overuse any products because that can be very very bad as found out. And you really really will get the urge to sometimes but your going to have to exercise some self control. I wish somebody had offered me some better help and explanation when I first got acne. Instead I panicked and tryed to fix it myself and then I abused advice I was given. Be careful and good luck.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:20 PM   #4

cookiemonster123 HB User

Hey I'm 15, and I'm always on the boards.. these people are awesome. You can really find out some good stuff here. Take me for example, I've stopped drinking soda.. and I don't pick at my face as much as I used to (it really helps!) and I also know that other people have the same problems. Plus, we're teenagers, so acne is normal.. but it's good to know you want to do something about it.. I've been battling acne for 4 years already (EEK!) and it's something you need to be patient with.. alright, so this lecture was maybe not what you wanted to here.. I'm saying good luck, and we will all be here for you~!

Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 AM   #5
(female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User

I just thought I'd agree with Suffering here. I posted the best system I could think of for somebody who probably has mild/moederate acne and is unable to see a derm. But you MUST NOT rush and go overboard with any new routine. That's why I stated that you should take it slow. These boards can be addictive when you're desperate to get clear. When you first come here, you want to try everything right away. The key is knowing that not everything works for everybody, and nothing works instantly. Give each thing time to work. If you go out and spend all your money, smother your face with acids, peroxides, and other treatments, and start popping B5, zinc, and other vitams, you'll just end up broke, rashed, and sick to your stomach.

So start off simple and give things time. If you have no luck, we'll explore other options for you. Just not all at once. And if you ever have one of those moments where you stare at the mirror and just must pick, pop, or put something on those pesky pimples, make yourself look away from the mirror. If you still find yourself reaching for the toothpaste in order to smother the breakouts, I'd suggest getting Queen Helenes Mint Julip Masque for use as a spot treatment instead of BP. Sometimes with BP, you rub some on the spot and then put on some more every few minutes because you can still see the pimples. With the Mint Julip, you'll have a green cover over the pimples, so when you return to your mirror needing to do something more to kill the zits, you'll see green instead and know that you've done something already. Sometimes all you need is to feel like you're doing something. This will work much better than toothpaste, cover the problem so you don't stare at the mirror constantly, you'll only feel the need to apply it once, and it won't burn you like too much BP will. So if you find that you obbsess about your skin in the evenings after washing, cover the trouble spots with the masque and leave your face alone until morning. And you don't need to do your whole face, just trouble spots (because you can still over dry if you do your entire face more than a few times a week, but I've found Mint Julip is the gentlest thing out there).

Oh, and good luck!

Old 12-10-2003, 12:24 PM   #6

lil_hale HB User

Ok Thanks for the help so far! Heres the answers to the questions....yes I am a girl.On my chin i get the things that take forever to go away...and on my cheeks i get the red pimples and on the nose its the blackheads.I do use make up but only eye liner mascara and eye shadow and when i take it odd i use oil free make up remover.

Old 12-11-2003, 03:41 AM   #7
(female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User

You sounded like a girl, just thought I'd make sure, though. I do have another question I forgot to ask you. Is your skin oily?

Now for the girly issues. Do you have any trouble with your periods? I know, not a fun topic to discuss, but a lot of girls find their skin changes with the time of month. I personally think the majority of acne is hormonal. My periods used to be unpleasant and I could never predict them, and my skin would be much worse around that time of month. Being on birth control is doing wonders for me. Although that probably isn't the best option for you if you don't have bad cramping and can predict your cycle, considering you're only 14 and all. But if you have all kinds of girl problems each month, that could be behind your skin trouble and you just never related the two.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:01 PM   #8

lil_hale HB User

I dont have any problems with my period....my acne actually doesnt really get worse at that time of the month..no i dont get the cramps i get lower back pain umm when i wake up in the morning my face is really oily and i dont no what to do for that.throughout the day its usually ok but somedays it is greasy.

Old 12-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #9

TheWildSide HB User

My highschool had a health center. The first place I ever went to get my acne checked out was there, and the lady was REALLY nice. She wrote me a prescription for some cheap anti-biotics and referred me to a free clinic where I was given free samples of retin-a. So check if your school has a little health center or something, and maybe the people there will also have some advice.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
(male)

Spork HB User

did you try your dad?

Old 12-12-2003, 03:58 AM   #11
(female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User

Hmm, it's interesting that your face gets oily during the night but not so much throughout the day. Do you wash your face more than just twice a day, or perhaps wipe it with something? You don't put on any foundation or powder that could be soaking it up, correct?

My skin is the other way around. However, I think I'm oily all the time, I just don't notice it as much when I first get up because the oil rubbed off on my pillow and sheets.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:36 AM   #12

lil_hale HB User

Nope i dont wear any make up like foundations or powder. My face does get a little oily thoughout the day but its worse at night and when i wake up thats what i dont understand.No i wash my face twice aday once in the morning and once at night.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
(female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User

Do your parents let you wear make-up? I never would have made it through highschool without it. Just the smallest bit over the red spots is a huge confidence boost. I've also found that with the right make-up, the condition of my skin is actually BETTER than when I go without (and I don't just mean while I'm wearing it). Mine has sun protection, and it sucks up the oil. I love it.

But if you can go without, great. Although there is a little trick of mine you might like. Get a powder brush (the kind for putting on make-up powder, ultra soft), but instead of the pricey make-up powders, use shower or baby powder. It cost so much less, and it's not really like wearing make-up. It just gives you a fresh look and soaks up the oil. It can also help with redness by reducing itch and irritation. Plus, it doesn't have the downside of make-up powders, which is they tend to get a bit darker when you sweat or get too oily. For a while, I would even dust my face with shower powder before bed to help with oil control (although it might not be the best idea to have powder on your face all the time).

Old 12-12-2003, 06:09 PM   #14

qtqt4433 HB User
Wink Re: I"m 14 with acne and mom won't take me to a dermotoligist...What can i do?

hey hunnie. im 15 and i had the same problem in the 6th 7th and 8th grade. all i have to say is...everyone gets acne and the makeup HAS TO GO...no face makeup not even blush. if ur acne shows too bad everyone has it and it helps your face. what i did for my acne was i washed my face once or twice a day with soap and whenever i could, just flushed my face with water also. then i used 2-3 times a day Stridex ance pads. my mom told me (which worked) is use one medication wether a acne pad or a face wash and ONLY use that product all the way until its done with, no other products than the one you chose. (if u use acne pads as "your product" use a mild regualr body soap to wash your face), just follow the directions on your product...dont overdue it, it will work...and since i did all of that expecially stuck to one product and STOPPED with the face makeup...i have a very clear complextion which i thought was impossible! i had it so bad im not even kidding. dont feel bad everyone goes through that stage in their life. as you mature you may or may not grow out of it (im sure you will) my sister is 12 and shes started it. all im saying is its natural and just make sure to wash your face and all that stuff everyday it will help in the long or hopefully short-run. by the way if your face starts to dry up then still wash your face just not as much and flush with water more. good luck. o and also my mom never let me get anything for my face except store bought stuff it sucks, i know. stay strong lol. o ya and when u get ur period ur bound to get pimples even w/ a clear complextion lol it will never stop.
Melissa

Old 12-12-2003, 06:45 PM   #15

lil_hale HB User

Thanks for the post..the baby powder sounds like a GREAT ide aI never would ahve thought about it.As of right now the only make up i wear is eye shadow and eye liner(is that ok?)The only time I ever wear face make up(blush powder glitter ect.)is at school dances but I"m only goinf to one this year so no face make up for me.Except the baby powder is you consider it make up lol

Closed Thread