It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 07:05 AM   #1

SUFFERING654 HB User
need advice for skin toning/fixing possible discoloration and scars

In case you didn't read my other posts, I'm using hydrocortisone cream along with cetaphil daily moisturizer/sunscreen to heal damage caused by my own stupidity where I scrubbed my skin very hard out of a random act of frustration and also damaged caused by overusing retin-a micro. Well my skin is healing rather quickly and for the first time in awhile I can see my skin without the extreme redness that I always saw while on the retin-a. Actually my skin looks rpetty much the same as before I started on the retin-a except one troublesome acne scar seems to be less prominant. Other than that though, my skin tone still apears to be very discolored. I don;t have horrible acne, in fact I have but one pimple on my face right now, but you can't notice it because of the blotchyness of my face. I have darker patches and dots of skin all over my cheeks that make me look pretty bad. After my skin calmed down and the inflamation subsided I was supposed to use retin-a micro once a week along with a very mild cleanser/skin toner. I'm trying to gather as much information as possible about any suggestions for a product that can help correct my skin tone and give my skin a more even appearence. I don't believe the retin-a micro will do this because I don't believe it worked too well. In the past I've tryed aveeno skin toners for a period of weeks and it really didn't sem to help too much at all. Didn't cause any damage that I could see, but I didn't see any results. I have sensative skin thats rather oily especially on my forehead, and my cheeks break out the most when I do breakout. Also my pores are rather large and unsightly and the retin-a didn't appear to fix that at all either. I'm going to give the retin-a micro more more shot after my dermatologist and myself are satisfied my skin is calmed enough to try to tone it, but I have little faith in it. Any suggestions on some other products that I could discuss with my dermatologist? I don;t like having to rely purely on what she says. I'd rather have someone who has had experiences with these products to share their views and suggestions. Thank you very very much for all your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 08:11 AM   #2

matahari HB User
Re: need advice for skin toning/fixing possible discoloration and scars

Well as soon as my acne goes away (which Im hoping it will with all the meds Im on) I am going to get microdermabration treatments done.Microdermabrasion is an exfoliation process that rejuvenates the skin by utilizing ultra-fine aluminum oxide crystals to remove the upper layer of the stratum corneum. This process exfoliates the skin, stimulating the production of collagen and elastin which will result in a firmer, more youthful looking skin as well as reducing discoloration from acne scars. Since it is a cosmetic procedure, it is usually not covered by health insurance and the cost ranges from $75-$150 per session. You usually need to have 5-6 sessions done to see the full results. Some people think its a scam, but my cousin is having them done on her acne scars and I swear after just one session her skin looked 100% better. I personally dont care about the cost... its well worth it if I dont have to walk around with big red scars all over my cheeks.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #3

SUFFERING654 HB User

Luckily my scars aren't horrible...yet. I have mostly discoloration and I never picked at any pimples. I started to for about 2 weeks until I learned to control myself. The scars I get are from irratating and rubbing my skin so much that i nearly tear my skin off. The most noticable scar though is a scar thats about 1 sq centimeter and its kinda shaped like texas :-P. Its from scrapping my face when I fell a few months ago and though it healed, its red and its about 2 inches from the corner of my mouth and it just looks weird and bad. I was hoping there was some product I could use before I start to consider these very expensive treatments that I've heard mixed reviews about. Thanks though for the advice. And if anyone has any tips on healing the discoloration caused by my acne and the scrape i got I would love to hear them.

Last edited by SUFFERING654; 12-10-2003 at 09:42 AM.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:31 AM   #4

matahari HB User

Well if your scars are not that bad they will eventually fade in time... mine usually do... except for the ones left by cysts... those are a lovely purple color. You might want to try using Mederma... its a over the counter topical treatment for scars... it usually helps alot. Start using it once a day (before bed) and apply a thin layer over the scar (not your whole face). I would test it out on a small area of your face first to make sure you dont have any adverse reactions to it (redness, breakouts, etc.). That might help. Also... getting a little sunshine helps them fade a whole lot too... just remember your SPF!!

Last edited by matahari; 12-10-2003 at 10:34 AM.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #5

SUFFERING654 HB User

Well I'm hoping time proves to be the greatest healer. Course in my mind the best cure for acne will always be being ages 1-12

Last edited by SUFFERING654; 12-10-2003 at 10:42 AM.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:13 PM   #6
Inactive

temple HB User

hi there! i wanted to reccomend microdermabrasion, too. i had a treatment yesterday and my scars look sooooo much better today. but if you do try it, and you dont leave with a red face, then they didnt do it strong enough. this has happened to me a few times. i know its so expensive, but i heard that qvc is seling home micro kits that work really well for $45. retina should fade scars, too.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:09 PM   #7

siren3 HB User

Sorry I do not have any great suggestions, but I really just wanted to tell you about how hydrocortisone cream will be really bad for your skin in the long run if you use it for a long time, just to warn you. You see, it's only meant to be used temporarily, because it is a steroid cream and after using it for long periods of time it will greatly damage your skin by thinning it out. You can do some research about it if you want. So that's all I wanted to say, just be sure not to use it for too long.

p.s. I do know that silica rebuilds collagen extremely well, there are high amounts of it inside an herb called "horsetail", as well as some other herbs and vegetables. You can do some researching about this too if ya want. It is great for the skin, hair, nails, and bones. I'll be using horsetail pretty soon myself, just for the simple skin beautifying effects of it. It might help you out a bit, along with anything else you find. Good luck.

Last edited by siren3; 12-12-2003 at 11:12 PM.

Old 12-13-2003, 01:20 AM   #8
Veteran

Neca HB User

I agree with Siren.

Sufferings do not use the hydrocortisone cream for longer than a period of 7 days. It is a dangerous cream if used incorrectly. It does thin your skin. It can cause skin cancer. It will also create unrepairable blood vessels and "Crow's Feet" on your face. Those are permanent and not very nice.

You could use the cream for 7 days straight, then stop for 2 weeks and do another 7 days but then I would say stop using it for a long time or else you may damage the skin.

Old 02-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
Inactive

panthera_tigris HB User

I know this message is months after your last post. I have a similar problem of irritating my face when i get pimples and such. I have discoloration at the corners of my mouth (brown spots) and i tried a prescription cream to bleach them...don't do this, it turned out to be worse than before. I used hydrocortisone for a while to help with inflammation and redness, but once most of those symtoms are gone you should stop using hydrocortisone, it can sometimes cause unusual discoloration after prolonged use. Do not get Sun to your discoloration if the spots are brownish, it will darken them. Use mederma as directed on the package and that will help fade the red marks, but it does take time. Right now i use two lotions...Jergen's multivitamin antiaging lotion and Neutrogena Moisterizer and Spf 30 (sheer tint). I only use the first at night, let it soak in and then apply a different general moisterizer like lubriderm or anything really because the Jergen's can be a lil' harsh by itself, nothing major though. During the day I use the Neutrogena and with the sheer tint i don't need makeup and my face glows wonderfully and gives the appearance of a even tone and it doesn't melt off like makeup does, sometimes i put a lil' powder on too and my skin still is super soft....that's what i'm trying right now and i'm hoping in at least 3 months there will be a good change and evenness of skin tone.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:12 PM   #10

accu HB User

how exactly does microdermabrasion works?

Closed Thread