It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #1

disco HB User
Growing a beard to cover acne

It's something I've considered a lot... I'm a substitute teacher, and so it kind of sucks when I get called into an older classroom and have worse acne than the students. Not so good on the self-esteem.. The little kids are great ;o) but the adolescents... makes it even more intimidating. Anyhoo, when I first started I grew a beard (last spring - I was 23) and I had so much more confidence; as well I think that was part of the reason the kids respected me a lot more - not visible acne and facial hair combined to make me a little older and more worthy of respect in their eyes. Anyhoo, is it a good idea to grow a beard when you still have active acne? I can imagine it would be ok if you're groing it to cover up scars, as the ane's not active... but what about it I still have acne (mostly on jawline and neck below ears... hmm... would have to grow a weird beard to cover that stuff up... ;o)...
Anyhoo, let me know. I guess I lok alright in a beard, I suppose. Thing is, it REALLY sucks when I shave, as my acne breaks out like anything. SO I'd be committing to about a year or two of bearded life; I could always shave the day after school lets out and then in summer vacation it wouldn't matter how I look...
THanks SOO much
D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #2

King Humbert HB User
Re: Growing a beard to cover acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
It's something I've considered a lot... I'm a substitute teacher, and so it kind of sucks when I get called into an older classroom and have worse acne than the students. Not so good on the self-esteem.. The little kids are great ;o) but the adolescents... makes it even more intimidating. Anyhoo, when I first started I grew a beard (last spring - I was 23) and I had so much more confidence; as well I think that was part of the reason the kids respected me a lot more - not visible acne and facial hair combined to make me a little older and more worthy of respect in their eyes. Anyhoo, is it a good idea to grow a beard when you still have active acne? I can imagine it would be ok if you're groing it to cover up scars, as the ane's not active... but what about it I still have acne (mostly on jawline and neck below ears... hmm... would have to grow a weird beard to cover that stuff up... ;o)...
Anyhoo, let me know. I guess I lok alright in a beard, I suppose. Thing is, it REALLY sucks when I shave, as my acne breaks out like anything. SO I'd be committing to about a year or two of bearded life; I could always shave the day after school lets out and then in summer vacation it wouldn't matter how I look...
THanks SOO much
D
I actually refuse to go without facial hair. Not only does it cover up the acne, but you're right, it makes you look older.

All you really need is a good, top quality trimmer to keep it professional looking. I'd say go for it.

The only warning I have to give you is this, when you shave it naturally exfoliates your skin. By not shaving sometimes you'll tend to have a bit more dead skin hanging around on your cheeks and such. Not a big deal, just use lotion or whatever, but it is something to take notice of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 02:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I'm sorry dude, I gotta bring this up - we used to have a student geography teacher and we were one of the nasty, older classes. This guy didn't have acne (I personally would never poke fun at anyone for that) but he did have a beard. The thing is his beard was ginger and his hair was dark brown!! What was that about? I mean the beard was full on orange. Unfortunately the guy was also called Mr. Rankin and he had a speech impediment that meant he almost pronounced his 'R's as 'W's. Now, call me and my ex-classmates immature but ever since he introduced himself we couldn't take him seriously

I hope it's not as bad for you. Incidentally, I find that younger kids are more annoying when it comes to remarking about my acne. I didn't have to put up with much stick from my peers (including people who didn't like me) about it at school (where you'd get picked on for wearing the wrong clothes), but when I worked on a children's playscheme the cheeky kids would sometimes call me names. Pesky beggers.

By the way, for what it's worth, I think as long as you shave cautiously you're better off than having facial hair. Sure, a beard would cover things up but will it ever allow the acne to go away? Surely they'll be too much potential for excess daily dirt to gather and not enough rejuevenation of the skin cells?

Last edited by jhart999; 12-11-2003 at 02:12 AM.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:57 AM   #4

LB2 HB User

Disco, try 101E. It's a herbal remedy available over the internet. I suffered with acne for yers, took a variety of antibiotics and went on Roaccutane twice. This is the only thing that's really worked well for me. It has no side effects either because it's herbal. Good luck!

Closed Thread