It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 07:43 PM   #1

corona4 HB User
would shaving face help?

background info: i've had acne for about a year now. i've tried all the over the counter stuff, and proactiv...still nothing works. so now i'm really trying to change my diet...lots of fruit and veggies pretty much.

anyhow....i've got a question.

would it be best to shave daily or once every 2 days (i don't need to), in order to keep my face clean? i usually develop 1/4 inch of hair after about a week. and i rarely shave until it starts to bother me...until i notice how thick it's gotten.

i don't know. just a thought. i figure that acne is all about keeping your face clean of oil & anything that could clog poors, and maybe shaving would help.

thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #2

al_bdawg HB User
Re: would shaving face help?

ok..first of all diet plays no role in the development of acne..sorry man....its all in your genes and hormones...ask your parents or g-parents if they had bad acne......anyway...you can shave your face anytime you need to but use a brand new razor everytime..so that means you need to but a bag of disposable razors...i promise this will help your breakouts cuz it helped mine...but if you want to seriously fight your acne see a derm....in 3-6 months you will be clear....i had acne on my face, neck, back and chest badly....in august of this year i saw a dermatologist and now i have none on my face and neck, a little on my chest, and some on my back.. good luck man

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 09:40 PM   #3

al_bdawg HB User

and shaving does not help your acne...it makes it worse if you are using the same blade because when you shave you open your pores on your face and the next time you shave with that same razor you are spreading the pores around on your face...so use different razors everytime you shave

Old 12-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #4

corona4 HB User

i don't believe that diet doesn't play a role.

i saw a acupunturist a few months ago...and she told me if i both relaxed, and ate lots of fish, and flaccid oil, my acne would clear up. i hate fish, and i haven't been able to get ahold on any flaccid oil...so i've yet to try it. i've heard stories on here about people changing their diets by not eating so much junk and eating more heathly, and having their faces clear up.

i don't understand your reasoning with pores being transfered through using a razor twice. even if you wash it w/ alcohol?

i'm a poor college student, and i can't afford a few hundred bucks to go see a dermotologist, and then have to pay for accutane or any of the other things they perscribe.

i think i'm gonna try shaving every other day though, and see if it helps (my occurs mainly in the chin/jaw area).

Old 12-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona4
i don't believe that diet doesn't play a role.

i saw a acupunturist a few months ago...and she told me if i both relaxed, and ate lots of fish, and flaccid oil, my acne would clear up. i hate fish, and i haven't been able to get ahold on any flaccid oil...so i've yet to try it. i've heard stories on here about people changing their diets by not eating so much junk and eating more heathly, and having their faces clear up.

i don't understand your reasoning with pores being transfered through using a razor twice. even if you wash it w/ alcohol?

i'm a poor college student, and i can't afford a few hundred bucks to go see a dermotologist, and then have to pay for accutane or any of the other things they perscribe.

i think i'm gonna try shaving every other day though, and see if it helps (my occurs mainly in the chin/jaw area).
Hey Corona,

I agree, I do not understand how on earth people can say diet has no connection to acne. OF COURSE IT DOES! How many times do we have to say it! The problem is the effects of diet vary from person to person. Some people can eat chocolate everday and hardly ever get pimples and some people like me will get pimples if I eat chocolate. Diet is ONE of many factors that contribute to causing acne. There is no question about it. The question remains is to what extent it effects you personally.

And you should listen to your acupuncturist. Eating fish and flaxseed is great for your skin because it contains Omega-3/6. You should definitely incorporate it into your diet.

With regards to shaving, I have noticed that whenever I shave my skin always looks a hell of alot better than before. It seems much clearer. Of course you can use the same razor so long as you clean it with as you said a bit of alcohol. Using a new razor EVERTIME is too much and too costly! I'm a student too and there is no way I could afford that. A good tip is to steam your face just before you shave for say 4-5mins as this will open the pores hence you will less likely cut yourself. When you have finished shaving splash your face with some aftershave. I also think this is probably what helps my skin look better. The alcohol from the aftershave gets inside the pores and "cleans" them out or "sterilizes" them, whatever you want to call it. It also stops the bleeding if you have cut yourself by closing up the pores.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:08 AM   #6
Inactive

781 HB User

as far as shaving goes, change your blade everytime, becareful what cream (or whatever u use to shave with) is, and don't shave over any active acne (i did and it left me with permanent scars)

Closed Thread