It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2003, 10:13 PM   #1
(male)

Bruce007 HB User
Lightbulb Seizure attack from Accutane

I am male and have been an acne sufferer since my teenage to young adulthood and would greatly appreciate anyone's advice to help me clear my breakouts...

I first visited my dermatologist and he prescribed me doxycycline.. It helped a little for about 2 months.. then i guess i got immune to it...

I heard about accutane and asked him to prescribe it to me.. .I took it for about 2 months twice a day about 40 mg. About the second month and a half I suffered from a seizure.. The first time in my life... doctors asked if i was taking medication I said accutane and they said that the drug has had some side effects of causing seizures.. (even one of the nurses in the emergency room told me that her nephew suffered from it as well..)

So obviously, I stopped. Went to my dermatologist again told him what happened he prescribed me Erthromycin and retin-a micro. I took the medication and it cleared up my skin a lot. I was taking it for six months until it got finished.. and my problem: I didnt have any more health insurance so i figured i am better now and didnt need to see a dermatologist...

I was wrong.. My face started breaking out again.. And so I went to a new dermatologist paying an arm and leg for each visit. Even my prescriptions cost me about $300.00 . She prescribed me Sprio (aldactone) and azelex, although I told her that Erthromycin worked good on me... She wanted to try a new approach

I am on about a month and a half month of Spiro.. It appears that it has made my face worse.. I broke out more and see some scaring and spots.. I am very frusturated and tired. I ask my derm if this is natural she says give it about a couple of more weeks.. which i doubt..

I wash my face regularly and eat sensible meals ... I used to work out a good amount, though I broke my wrist so I really cant hit the gym at the moment. Can anyone tell me if spiro is supposed to do this to me?? Or what other regimens I can use?

Also another q? Does marijuana cause acne...? I used to smoke a long while ago and then stopped and I just recently did it again for about a couple of weeks and then stopped again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 11:27 AM   #2

funkfliggity HB User
Re: Seizure attack from Accutane

sure you stopped.

Old 12-14-2003, 12:10 AM   #3
(male)

Bruce007 HB User
Exclamation Re: Seizure attack from Accutane

Im on Spiro for about a month and a half now... still no dramatic results, though my sexual activities are much less now.... lol After sex, I couldnt get it back up again for round 2......Im probably goin impotent already...

Did spiro cause initial breakouts for anyone??

and

From my history of medications, does anyone have any opinions of any links or patterns about my breakouts.... cause I am really confused.....

I would appreciate your responses ...

Bruce

Old 12-14-2003, 05:22 PM   #4

mossimo HB User

I have heard a lot about the negatives of accutane, but this is the first time I heard of someone having a seizure. Do you mind me asking how many mgs you were taking???

Old 12-15-2003, 01:45 AM   #5
(male)

Bruce007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimo
I have heard a lot about the negatives of accutane, but this is the first time I heard of someone having a seizure. Do you mind me asking how many mgs you were taking???

i was taking 40 mg twice a day... total of 80 mg per day...I dont know why sooo much.. when i told other ppl they were shocked...

So if anyone gets large doses, have your doctor think twice...

also...........
When taking accutane make sure you drink lots of water and eat sensible meals.. dont take the pills on an empty stomach..

Old 12-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #6

mossimo HB User

[QUOTE=Bruce007]i was taking 40 mg twice a day... total of 80 mg per day...I dont know why sooo much.. when i told other ppl they were shocked...
QUOTE]

Oh my god yea!!! That's insane! I have been on accutane for 6 mos and just moved up to 60mgs a day! Starting out on such a high dose is so incredibly dangerous. I hope your not seeing this derm anymore.. apparently he doesn't seem to know what he's doing. It's doctors like this that result in people having permanent problems from accutane.

Closed Thread