It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 07:53 AM   #1

Cat_erpillar HB User
Question Advice on Accutane and acne scars, please...

Hi everyone, Iím a newcomer to this site. Iíve had acne since the age of 12 for 11 years now. I never told anyone about it, not even my parents and sisters, because I felt too ashamed. Because it is only on my back and chest, and not really on my face, I have been able to hide it all this time. I always felt that if anyone saw it they would be disgusted and I couldn't face such rejection. It has had such a powerful effect on bringing my self esteem down to level zero. It makes me feel depressed a lot of the time, as well as insecure and unconfident. I think I just gave up on myself after a few years, and didnít really take the appropriate steps such as going to see a dermatologist. The thing is I didnít want to show it to ANYONE, even a doctor. But I went a few months ago, and my doctor prescribed me the pill. Itís kind of improving, although no drastic improvement. Iíve got an appointment with the dermatologist, and he said they might put me on Accutane. Iíve heard it has really bad side effects, including depression, and as Iím already very depressed I feel a bit scared about that. However I know I would probably feel less depressed if I had a clear skin. Does anyone have any advice? Also I have acne scars on my back, and wondered if anything can help to fade them a bit (excluding laser treatment and all that malarkey)? Thanks

Old 12-14-2003, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User
Re: Advice on Accutane and acne scars, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_erpillar
Hi everyone, Iím a newcomer to this site. Iíve had acne since the age of 12 for 11 years now. I never told anyone about it, not even my parents and sisters, because I felt too ashamed. Because it is only on my back and chest, and not really on my face, I have been able to hide it all this time. I always felt that if anyone saw it they would be disgusted and I couldn't face such rejection. It has had such a powerful effect on bringing my self esteem down to level zero. It makes me feel depressed a lot of the time, as well as insecure and unconfident. I think I just gave up on myself after a few years, and didnít really take the appropriate steps such as going to see a dermatologist. The thing is I didnít want to show it to ANYONE, even a doctor. But I went a few months ago, and my doctor prescribed me the pill. Itís kind of improving, although no drastic improvement. Iíve got an appointment with the dermatologist, and he said they might put me on Accutane. Iíve heard it has really bad side effects, including depression, and as Iím already very depressed I feel a bit scared about that. However I know I would probably feel less depressed if I had a clear skin. Does anyone have any advice? Also I have acne scars on my back, and wondered if anything can help to fade them a bit (excluding laser treatment and all that malarkey)? Thanks
My recommendation is zinc. I've heard that this works best for body acne. Definitely worth a try...

AA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Whatever you do, don't let it get you down so much. I'm not having a go, but imagine how much worse it would feel if you had acne on your face as well You can always do something to improve it and shouldn't let it rule your life. Accutane would be a drastic step for now - try alternative ideas explored and reviewed right here. Welcome to the forums

Old 12-14-2003, 05:19 PM   #4

mossimo HB User

If you've had acne for 12 yrs now, you should definitly consider accutane!

I have had acne for 15 yrs and have been on accutane for 5 mos. so far without any side effects and am doing great!

Don't dismiss accutane because of things you have heard about it. The depression side effect is very rare and you need to stop taking the medication if it happens. You may have side effects, but the serious ones are very rare. If you have any major side effects, just stop the medication, asap. simple as that!

Don't let the "possibility" of negative side effects scare you into not taking a medication that may really help you and may really improve your life!

Old 12-15-2003, 05:41 AM   #5

Cat_erpillar HB User

Hey! Thanks for the advice and support . I think I will go on Accutane, cos I've tried antibiotics with no success, and have been on Diane-35 for the past 3 months, that started clearing up my back (although still pretty bad) but I now have bad outbreaks on my face (which I never used to have)! Anyway I feel acne has already ruined my life, so I'll try accutane even if it means paying a price side-effectwise I still have to wait till Jan before my appointment with the derma, and my skin is going crazy aahhh!!

Old 12-15-2003, 10:52 AM   #6

mossimo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_erpillar
Hey! Thanks for the advice and support . I think I will go on Accutane, cos I've tried antibiotics with no success, and have been on Diane-35 for the past 3 months, that started clearing up my back (although still pretty bad) but I now have bad outbreaks on my face (which I never used to have)! Anyway I feel acne has already ruined my life, so I'll try accutane even if it means paying a price side-effectwise I still have to wait till Jan before my appointment with the derma, and my skin is going crazy aahhh!!
side effects are not that bad. At the beginning I had some joint pains and headaches. This all went away in a few days and the only side effect I've had since is dry lips (which is a side effect you are guaranteed to have). My skin has cleared up so much in the past few months, that I sometimes forget what it was like when I had acne. God luck with your derm appt in jan!

Closed Thread