It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 03:37 PM   #1

GRRRRRRRRR HB User
Found out what's been causing MY breakouts

I'm not sure if this will help any of you, because I think I must be a rare case. But, anyway, here goes.

What's been causing my breakouts (cystic and the like, mostly on the forehead and chin) is my vitamins. Simple as that. I stopped using my multis because I suspected they may be the culprit. (I had previously blamed my estee lauder idealist because i stopped using it on vacation and i cleared up. However, i also did not take my vitamins with me. ) My face completely cleared up. So, I went to Vitamin World and got individiual vitamins (like folic acid, vit c, etc.) that are gluten, yeast, color, etc. free. I broke out like crazy, even on my arms! So, stopped those a few days ago, and am almost back to perfect. (thank goodness!)

I have narrowed it down to three common ingredients: vegetable magnesium stearate, silica, and croscarmellose.

Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but, hey, it's worth a try.

My next endeavor will be to try liquid or hypoallergenic multis w/o the above ingredients.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User
Re: Found out what's been causing MY breakouts

Dairy is a main factor to causing breakouts..i just cut down on dairy..except maybe the odd bit of butter on toast or a lil milk in coffee..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 11:40 PM   #3

siren3 HB User

Just wanted to let ya know that it's most probably not the silica. Silica is one of the best, if not the "most", skin beautifying substance in the world. It is one of the most major collagen/bone builders in the human body, as well as a hair beautifier. But anyway, usually there isn't enough contained inside multi-vitamins to do any of that good stuff, because it's usually used as a filler or something. One thing that contains the most silica is an herb called horsetail, as well as a variety of good vegetables, and other herbs.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

I hear all this stuff about dairy but that worries me because calcium in dairy is so crucial especially for women around my age (20) to protect against osteoporosis. I don't think I could cut out dairy for that reason. My acne will eventually go away but I don't want to have breaking bones when I'm older since I'm already thin and a petite person anyways.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:45 PM   #5

GRRRRRRRRR HB User

yeah, don't think i could cut out my dairy either. but, it doesn't seem to be the culprit for me anyway, thank goodness.

good to know it's probably not the silica. i bought some powdered vitamins you can mix in water...hopefully those will work.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:50 PM   #6
Inactive

sunfell HB User

It is actually not the calcium that prevents osteoporosis. (it is the magnesium which regulates the calcium uptake in the bones. Too much dietary calcium depletes magnesium) Non-dairy drinking/consuming cultures have lower instances of osteoporosis. It has to do with weight bearing excercise, as well as magnesium intake. Dairy is not a good source of calcium because it does not have a proper magnesium ratio to absorb the calcium in the first place. There is no excuse to stop consuming dairy because there are many other sources of calcium, as well as supplements. Magnesium is a more important factor in osteoporosis than anything. If you eat the typical calcium laden north american diet you are almost guaranteed osteoporosis risk. There are studies on women consuming dairy that SHOW dairy consumption does not prevent osteoporosis. People need to make themselves more aware of new research.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-13-2003 at 03:54 PM.

Old 12-13-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

People need to make themselves more aware of new research.

Research says both ways a lot of times. There is never a definite answer. New research is not always right either.

Old 12-14-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
Inactive

sunfell HB User

Research can be flawed (Just look at the "studies" that say there is no connection between acne and diet. Those are some of the silliest "studies" ever concoted.) So, yes, you have to take into consideration how the studies were done and whether or not they were bias studies (aka from the dairy industry.) However, there are studies for dairy and osteoporosis that have been following women in America for as much as 15 years. These are the recent studies. There are studies from earlier as well. Anthropologist Stanley Garn who studied bone loss over a 50-year period in people in North and Central America, failed to find a link between calcium intake and bone loss. ( Garn, S., "Nutrition and bone loss: introductory remarks", Fed. Proc., Nov-Dec 1976, p. 1716.) There is little evidence to suggest that dairy consumption prevents osteoporosis, and much evidence to suggest otherwise. You are right, there are no definitive answers. You have to decide for yourself, but there is evidence, and there is definitive results, and you definitely need to be aware of all the new reports in order to make a clear decision.

Fact 1: magnesium is responsible for calcium absorption into the bone.

Fact 2: too much calcium interferes with magnesium absorption in food.

Fact 3: There are at least 18 key bone-building nutrients essential for optimum bonehealth. They include phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, boron,silica, fluorine, vitamins A, C, D, B6, B12, K, folic acid, essential fatty acids and protein.

Fact 4: Non dairy drinking areas of the world have lower rates of osteoporosis (The Bantu of Africa have the lowest rates of osteoporosis of any culture. They consume from 175 to 476 mg of calcium daily. The Japanese averageabout 540 mg daily, but the early postmenopausal spinal fractures so common in the West are almost unheard of in Japan. Their spinal fracture rate is one-half that of the US. The Japanese have one of the longest life spans of any population. Studies of populations in China, Gambia, Ceylon, Surinam, Peru and other cultures all report similar findings of low calcium intake and low osteoporosis rates. )

Fact 5: regular weight bearing excercise is necessary to prevent osteoporosis and build bones. (osteoporosis in space travel. Osteoporosis in bed rest)

The best conclusion to me seems to be that a well balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables along with daily excercise prevents or mitigates risk for osteoporosis. Dairy consumption does not seem to be a factor, so I don't see it as justification for continuing to consume a product that may be harmful to your health (acne.) Acne is not normal. Just because numbers are rising and people are used to it does not mean it is a normal condition or a "part of growing up." I think people should do all they can to be healthy and free of acne without the aid of medications unless as a last resort. There are plenty of foods with good calcium content other than dairy. You can even take a supplement. The only reason you'd continue to eat dairy is either because you don't believe it has anything to do with your acne (which is just fine. it may not.) or simply because you -like- it (which is not ok.) That is called addiction, but in the end it is your choice.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-14-2003 at 12:31 AM.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:23 PM   #9
(female)

Caramelita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by latayy26
I hear all this stuff about dairy but that worries me because calcium in dairy is so crucial especially for women around my age (20) to protect against osteoporosis. I don't think I could cut out dairy for that reason. My acne will eventually go away but I don't want to have breaking bones when I'm older since I'm already thin and a petite person anyways.
There are plenty of other sources from which you can get calcium. The US has one of the highest dairy intakes, yet we have some of the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world. Foods like spinach, broccoli, collard greens, and salmon have basically the same amounts of calcium as dairy products. Also, it's not really how much calcium you consume, but rather how much you retain. So, if you're not doing strength exercises to build and maintain bone density, all the milk in the world won't prevent osteoporosis.

Closed Thread