It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 10:52 PM   #1

thick skin HB User
Question for all spiro users...

What topicals are you using?

I've been on spiro for a month now, and I'm amazed. I always knew that my skin was oily, but I never had any idea to what extent. It's amazing to be able to get through the day now without having to blot my noze or apply any more powder. My once very large pores are shrinking before my eyes.

Anyway, I was curious as to what topicals you are using. Are you still using something for oily/acne prone skin, or are you switching over to something else? My derm suggested that I continue to use a benzoyl peroxide cleanser, and he perscribed clindamycin gel, which I've been using. Oddly enough, a month ago, he told me that he liked the Proactiv cleanser. So, I ordered Proactiv and have been using their three step system but only at night. I'm not experiencing any terrible dryness. In fact, I've been enjoying Proactiv's products very much. I've just wondering if it may be too harsh for my skin now that it's not producing the oils like it was before.

How about all the spiro users on this board share their topical routines, too.

P.S.- I had never heard of spiro prior to this board. You guys are a god send.

Old 12-16-2003, 02:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User
Re: Question for all spiro users...

Hey Thickskin, I am using a 20% BP gel made my dermatologist's office. It works so well and doesn't dry out my skin! If I start to see any sign of a pimple, it's gone by morning. I also sometimes use Clindamycin phosphate lotion in the morning if I do get any dry spots.

Last edited by latayy26; 12-16-2003 at 02:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 08:41 AM   #3

matahari HB User

Hey Thick Skin...

I have stopping using all topicals or anything medicated on my face and have noticed a world of difference since! I just wash twice daily with Purpose oil free face bar and use Purpose Moisterizer. I spot treat occationally with Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. I was using ProActiv before and realized that its a waste of money because it does nothing but make my red marks (scars) a brighter shade of reddish purple. I thought at first that it was the erythro or the spiro, but after I stopped ProActiv, my scars are back to a light shade of pink. I have been using so many topicals for so long that I think my skin is relieved to have a break from it all and is actually doing alot better.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:47 AM   #4

thick skin HB User

Yes, Matahari, I think I will stop using the Proactiv for a while, even though I was only using it at night. My skin has become so fabulously clear with the spiro / Proactiv combo, but it is getting increasingly dry. I am only twenty-four, but I would hate to see early signs of aging arrive because I am using something too harsh for my not not-so-oily skin. I think I will slowly switch over to a gentle non-medicated cleanser.

I know there are a lot of you spiro users out there. What is your cleansing routine?

Old 12-19-2003, 12:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

I use cetaphil gentle cleansing BAR or the purpose gentle cleansing bar. My dermatologist recommended both and said that most people like the bars better than the pump because for some reason it feels like it comes off your skin better with the bar. Sometimes I use St. Ives gentle cleansing scrub for sensitive skin (nonmedicated), but mostly because i'm obsessed with the smell of it!!

Old 12-20-2003, 07:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

my skin was oily as h*ll until i went on spiro.now it like normal skin.my hair used to be oily and i got dandruff.now its great.im on 100 mgs a day for almost 15 months and not one zit in those months.plus my second thermage is smoothing out my skin really great.i never thought it would be possible.i feel like telling everybody i see with acne to give spiro a try.......well at least all the female and maybe some guys(it wont hurt guys if on short term)least it buys time so their skin can straighten out without scarring.i wish i only known of this drug when it first came out.it would have saved me years of grief.

Old 12-20-2003, 07:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

im using active c on my skin.you might want to stop all drying topicals and give your skin a much needed rest.spiro alone is enough to dry most peoples skin and using dring topicals will only make your face too dry.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

I never usually have a problem with the BP gel drying my skin out. I don't think skin really "needs a rest" from a topical as long as it is not too dry and looks healthy which mine does. If it's working, KEEP using it, don't stop!!!!!!!!!! duh

Old 12-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

well yes you are a lot younger than me.after years of topicals that were drying my skin to somewhat control my acne i was starting to look old.even though everything i put on my skin just dried it up temperary i kinda kept my breakouts from getting way out of control.only accutane(the first time i took it when it first came out)and spiro made my face non-oily.i went back to active c because exfox serum and tri-reduction creme were drying out my face too much.also i was on taz creme before that.really im kinda sick of putting s*it on my face everyday.im just using this active c up til i get rid of it.my acne scars are almost gone with this second thermage.i swear when i was done with my hour of agony i my whole body smeeled like it was fried.he really let me have it.so this year i paid 3350 dollars for 2 thermalifts and even though the first on i didnt see much improvement until i got my second one and my skin after a week is really smoothing out.so you younger ones really have a lot of new options for acne and acne scarring.plus new is a enzyme that will thin out your sebum so your pores wont block up and cause acne.your skin will still be oily but you wont break out.see ya!

Old 12-20-2003, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

Yeah..if something is drying out your skin too much I would stop it like you said though. Decreasing your moisture does age the skin faster and I DON'T want wrinkles!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
Inactive

lindanm HB User

I use St. Ives gentle cream cleanser and camellia oil. And less than a year ago, I would have never dreamed of putting oil on my then oily face.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thick skin
Yes, Matahari, I think I will stop using the Proactiv for a while, even though I was only using it at night. My skin has become so fabulously clear with the spiro / Proactiv combo, but it is getting increasingly dry. I am only twenty-four, but I would hate to see early signs of aging arrive because I am using something too harsh for my not not-so-oily skin. I think I will slowly switch over to a gentle non-medicated cleanser.

I know there are a lot of you spiro users out there. What is your cleansing routine?

What is your dosage of spiro? The derm just prescribed Yasmin for my daughter and wants her to add 25 mgs spiro to that in a month if the Yasmin doesn't do it on it's own.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #13

thick skin HB User

My dose is 50mg/day.

It's funny, but it's been three years since I started this initial thread. Just to update everyone, my skin became so beautifully clear that I stopped using spiro or any topicals for acne-type skin. Big mistake. Let's just say I'm back on spiro trying to get that lovely skin back. I'm also using a cleanser with salicylic acid and a lotion with 2.5% BP. Oh well. I was hoping I could be one of those lucky ones who only washes with Dove or some other light routine. Once again, I see my pores closing up as the oil production is reduced.

Good luck to you all in your search for clear skin.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #14

thick skin HB User

Hi Therapist,

Search this board for "spiro" or google "spiro" and "acne". You'll get a lot of info on it that way. It's an anti-androgen. It reduces the amount of oil production. For most of us, less oil = less acne. I'm not sure if you can get it in the UK or not. You'll have to check with your dermatologist. Again, I suggest you search the internet. You will find out all that you need to know.

Very best to you!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #15
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapist
hi thick skin what is spiro and can you get it in the uk if not is there a web site where i can get it thank you.
I'm sure you can get it there. It's a drug that's been around for a while. It's initial purpose is for high blood pressure.

It's also a diuretic. It dehydrates you and the thirst is killing me and I'm not taking half the dosage I'm supposed to.

Closed Thread