It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
Post does retin-A micro really work?

I have been using retin-A micro for almost 1.5 months, and i am on week 3 of Yasmin. My skin has nver been so bad. Is this just the initial reaction phase? Can i expect these products to actually work? My skin so parched and dry, i use jojoba oil at night and Olay Total Effects in the Day to mosturize. Any recommendations for a cleanser, toner and exfoliater?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
I have been using Retin A micro for almost 6 weeks. Week 1 & 2 were very drying, week 3 was a break out, now I am leveling off. It has helped with cysts along with an antibiotic orally. I am quite dry though, better, but still dry. Don't know why you are still breaking out........perhaps the Yasmin? It may be just the initial hormonal stuff with that.

As far as cleansing, I'm sticking with the mild route of Cetaphil(I like the one for oily skin), or Eucerin, or Olay for sensitive.

As far as exfoliating, I wish I knew a mild one to use a couple of times a week.....hope to ask my derm in 2 weeks when I go back.

Funny you should mention the Olay Total Effects...I did use that briefly and thought it felt amazing on. I may go back to it for this surface dryness. Wishing you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
Yeah, i thuink my skn was looking better until i started the Yasmin, then the hormonal changes kicked in. I am hoping it will level off again. I am also thinking about using a homemade lemon juice toner to exfoliate/tone my skin.

Old 03-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #4

pinkjellibeans HB User
i have been using retin a micro for 15 months. and im also on my first week of pack 3 of Yasmin. it seriously took me over 6 months to rid the "initial hell" from RAM, and up until yasmin i was breaking out nonstop it just wasnt as dry and bad as the first 6 months. your initial breakout from RAM may be overriding the benefits of yasmin. i know yasmin works...i swear by it. but i really dont beleive ram will ever rid you of zits, but i must say it does make the red marks clear quikly from past brakouts..but whats the benefit in that if by the time a red mark clears your breaking out all over again. right?? i feel your pain. and i wish i could tell you how to make your face clear, but its a hard topic. i wish you well...Yasmin is the greatest, and i think you'd be better off ditching the ram completely....but thats just my opinion.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #5

nknkoo HB User
I want to tell you that since you are using retin-a, there is a very good system out there that I used for three months called Obagi Nu derm....the retin-a is part of this system..... this system will improve the texture of your skin.... you will see an good improvement after six weeks and a remarkable improvement after 12-18 weeks.... this system also takes care of acne scarring and reduces the size of pores.... I have to tell you that after I used it for three months my skin never looked so smooth and good..... I regret stopping using this system because I recently started experimenting with different products and burnt my face..Also I think hormones are freaking out in me..... I am now waiting for it to heal and as soon as it does I am going right back to Obagi....check out their website and you do not need to go to a dermatologist to get it.....

Old 03-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #6
(female)

Wildpink HB User
i used to have terrible skin, for years i tried all things. um, one thing i suggest is probably dont use moisturisers, its really not necessary and even though the retin-a is drying, the prupose of using it is to remove oil from the skin. pimples are caused by too much oil that is produced, yes u need oil in the skin, but adding moisturiser it will only add more oil to the pores in the skin, and u need to eliminate the overproductivity of oil, not add more oil. im studying to be a dermatologist at University and in Australia here, we are advised not to use creams etc when using drying agents such as retin a. the doctors say that, but new medicine is saying to use more natural products such as aloe vera gel which is so moisturising for the skin, it basically adds water to the skin in treating my pimples, my regime was and stil is, i wash my face with a good quality wash (Freemans Facial wash (pineapple flavour), i know they have that in america) and then i used a hydrating freshener spray, u can buy them and they should be available in america, also i used aloe vera gel as my moisturising cream. its very hydrating and makes the skin well moisturised without adding oil. u really need to follow this, its really good. good luck!

Old 03-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #7
Veteran

TiredOfThisAll HB User
a friend of mine had pretty bad acne for a while, then it just went away and he only had a spot or two.. sometimes completely clear.. and i went to his house and saw a tube of retin-a.. so im guessing it works.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
Veteran

Angelene HB User
Hi--

I've been using retin-a micro since last march, and I've had great success. I'm also taking an oral antibiotic.

I remember clearly that it got worse for about 2 months before it even started to get better. As for the dryness/peeling, ask your derm for a prescription for Klaron lotion. This stuff is great, it's a gel that you put on after washing your face and it completely gets rid of peeling. It also helps fade scars. You can search online for more product info.

Good luck!

------------------
"Never give up, never surrender!"

Old 03-12-2003, 07:35 AM   #9
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
Hi, so can i use the Klaron lotion with aloe vera in teh day and retin-a micro at night?

Old 03-12-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
(female)

Wildpink HB User
yeah sure, that should be ok to use klaron lotion and aloe vera gel. just remember that the more you touch your face the worse it can get, so only touch it when necessary. and when u put lotions/creams on be gentle and completely cover the face, dont worry about if it doesnt rub all in because it will soak in and leave it well moisturised. always put lotions on by putting an amount of about the size of a medium coin in your palm and then rubbing it together in your hands lightly and gently rubbing it in in an upward motion, this way it will allow it to be covered all over your skin, and to sink in and thoroughly hydrate the skin.

Closed Thread