It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 08:41 PM   #1

lisam21 HB User
BAD Acne/ Beta Peel/Lift

I'm 22, and I used to have beautiful clear skin but for several months now I am having bad acne outbreaks on my forehead and chin, blackheads on nose and chin as well, a few cystic acne on chin/forehead, cheeks are pretty much clear except for the 2 that popped up the other day.. other than that not getting breakouts there. Tried Proactive for over a month and it ended up drying my face out. Got so fed up I went to see an aestetician who did a pumpkin facial on me 3 weeks ago, then the following week (2 weeks ago) she was going to do a Pumpkin peel but instead insisted on doing a Beta Peel/Lift. For the week after my face peeled like a burn victim (it was horrible looking) and I was embarassed to leave the house. Acne came back, face just as oily, only now more breakouts on my chin and I can see every open/clogged/pitted pore in my forehead. I do not have acne scars (YET!), no pits, but I do have hyperpigmentation from the acne. My forehead is one big pitted pore pit (not literally scar pits) after the Beta Peel. She said they are clogged pores now along with the acne on my forehead, suppose I am seeing them now after the beta peel because they were not there before the peel. She wants to do another beta peel on me and I'm afraid it is making things worse. Has anyone had more than one beta peel and how did it work for you? I'm using Bare Escentuals makeup and I love it although I wonder if it's breaking me out. I don't like/wear liquid foundations and prefer loose powder and this is the only makeup I have found that was natural looking with good coverage. I am absolutely miserable.. I am watching my once beautiful skin deteriorate right before me and it's really sad. I am trying everything, have spent SO MUCH MONEY. Any opinions on the Beta Peels/Lift?? Arghhhhhhhhhhh this is so frustrating!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #2

lisam21 HB User
Re: BAD Acne/ Beta Peel/Lift

Am I the only one here who has had a Beta peel for acne?

Old 01-22-2004, 05:02 PM   #3

clrup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisam21
Am I the only one here who has had a Beta peel for acne?

I am just wondering if you waited a while before using make-up again on your face after the peel. If the peel really did clean out your pores the make-up might have clogged your pores or irritated your skin more.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

Hi Lisa, my sympathy goes out to you. I understand what you are going through, I think we all do on this board. Don't worry you should get some good advice from this board. I have never condoned peels in any way, they only seem to damage skin and if you just think about it how can burning your skin be of any benefit to it? Yes it may remove all current skin imperfections but once the skin has healed over, as you said, everything just comes back. It's cure rather than prevention! I'm not entirely sure what a Beta peel contains in it but I'm assuming it's probably glycolic acid. Please please don't go for another one. Go see a dermatologist to get a second opinion before you consider your next step. First let your skin heal, don't apply any cosmetics for the next 10 days, wash with once or twice a day with water ONLY and use good old aqueous cream to keep your skin moisturised. This will speed up the healing process.

But what might be an interesting angle to examine is why all of a sudden your skin has developed acne. You're 22 and you say you had beautiful clear skin beforehand a few months back so maybe you underwent a big change in your lifestyle? Have you recently changed your diet, become pregnant, taken any medicines for a long period of time, changed your job (maybe working less in sunlight and more inside an office pumped with air conditioning) etc.? I'm 99% sure the is a reason to why you have suddenly developed acne, just try thinking back to when it happened and what you were doing then.

Whatever you do though, don't stress and try and stay positive.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #5

LuckyStar1 HB User

Hey Lisa I have had three Beta Lift Peels and I absolutely love them. (Though I haven't had one in months b/c I am doing laser treatment now). But when I did have them I saw a major difference in my skin. My skin was smoother and softer, scars faded, my pores got smaller, my skin was less oily, my skin tone evened out and my acne seemed to subdue. My skin felt refreshed and Hopefully when I am done with my laser treatment I will be able to do some more Beta Lift Peels to lesson my scar visibility even more. Yet everyone reacts different to different treatments. Maybe you should discuss the peel with a dermotologist. I wish ya the best of luck!

Old 01-22-2004, 11:40 PM   #6

lisam21 HB User

Thanks everyone for the replies. Was suprised to see this since I posted this post on Dec 18th with no replies. clrup - I waited a while before wearing make-up. Actually there was no way in the world I could have worn make-up as I looked like a lizzard shedding it's skin and it would take days before one piece would fall off. Not exactly pretty by any means.
Neca - the Beta peel is 100% pure salicylic acid. I did not change anything in my routine except I started working out more.. that could be it but I don't know. Maybe there's something I'm not catching? It could very well be stress. I lost my grandfather in July 2003 and on top of that I am in college and about to graduate in a few months. On top of all that my grandmother passed away on January 1st 2004 in front of me in the ER.. so it very well could be stress and maybe not getting enough sleep.
Here's an update since I first posted this thread on Dec. 18th. - I decided not to go back for a 2nd beta peel. In fact I only had one more appt with the aestetician after I posted this. At that time my face was pretty broken out in what she called mild/moderate acne. My acne tends to appear in 2 spots - my foreheard and my chin/around mouth area. My cheeks are clear and fine. She wanted me to come in for another beta peel after Christmas but I chose not to as I wanted to see if I could get it under control without the peel. Plus my grandmother passed away suddenly on New years so that is another reason I have not been back to the aestetician. At the time my grandmother passed away my face became very bad (for obvious reasons) and someone who knew what I was going through felt the need to comment that that's the worst they have ever seen my face (thanks!). Anyways, I started using different products that I bought at the day spa (before Christmas) that the aestetician recommended for me. About a week ago my face has cleared up with only 1 small pimple (I have been using these products for a little over a months now). I am thrilled but scared wondering how long this will last? I changed my skin care products and added a few that she recommended to me. I use Clear Choice gentle cleanser followed by Clear Choice toner then followed by Clear Choice salicylic pads (this company does not put any added chemicals into any of their products including the pads - I compared them to Oxy etc). I only use 1 salicylic pad at night. I started taking Flax seed oil capsules at night. Once a week I use Clear Choice Pumpkin Enzyme Complex...it's this gentle scrub that you put on your face and then leave on for 10 min. Also, I was out shopping and I came across a sample for a drink and loved it so I picked one up about a month ago and I have been drinking 1 glass everyday and I think it has helped clear my acne up although I did not start drinking it for that purpose. The drink is called Odwalla Superfood. It's this green drink that contains fruit and wheat grass etc.. all natural but very good drink. It contains a lot of potassium and vit A etc. One glass is equivalent to 5 fruits/vegetables. I really really think this has helped my acne.. I was surprised. My face looks good now except for the few red spots left over. Keeping fingers crossed on how long it will last. This is the clearest my face has been in many months. I'm afraid that when that time of the month rolls around that I will have a war zone on my face.. guess I will just have to wait and see. If not, I'll be right back where I started from.

Thanks for the replies!!!
Lisa

Old 04-11-2004, 05:04 PM   #7

legallyblonde HB User

hey luckystar- im going in for my first beta peel on monday at my derm's office...is there anything i should do or not do before i go in? she told me not to use any of my meds, which include tazorac and brevoxyl-4 (it's a 4% benzoyl peroxide if u werent sure) but i think i wanna keep using the brevoxyl once a day this week cuz it helps keep breakouts away...i was just wondering if u were able to give me any tips on what i should know..thanks!

Old 04-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #8

LuckyStar1 HB User

legallyblonde: im sooo sorry i wasn't able to reply to you before monday! how did your peel go?? any discomfort? you should be peeling by now your derm was right in telling you not to use any meds 2 days before the peel... (i hope u followered her directions). while peeling, let the skin fall off by itself, do not rub or try to pull the skin off!! i will gently wash my face in the shower and the skin will peel on its own if i am peeling immensely. good luck! keep me updated on your peel!! and as matter of fact i go for a peel tomorrow (wednesday!!) i know its going to burn when it is applied but i know it will be worth it so i gotta suck it up and do it!!

Old 04-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #9

legallyblonde HB User

luckystar- hey!! guess what, i havent gone yet...it's this monday! thanks so much for replying though...i hope this peel helps! im glad to know that you said it's worth it, and i will surely take your advice...thanks!

Old 04-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #10

LuckyStar1 HB User

legallyblonde: oh thats awesome... so u go this monday! i just went in yesterday for mine. no peeling for me....yet! hehe... but 2morrow i should start seeing it though! and by the weekend my entire face will be exfoliating. (i'll tell everyone i went on vacation and im peelin b/c of a sunburn hehe). Also, after the peel wear sunscreen at ALL TIMES. And do not let the direct sunlight hit your face. And hydrate your face with lotion (such as Cetaphil) at least twice a day or whenever needed. i also must remind you again, do not peel off the skin... or scarring may occur. let it come off on its own. i hope this helps ya even more! keep me informed!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #11

legallyblonde HB User

thanks lucky...i'll keep u informed! how long do u usually peel for??

Old 04-15-2004, 11:11 PM   #12

LuckyStar1 HB User

hey legallyblond: From what I can remember (my last peel was in Nov.) I believe the peeling lasted for about 2 to 3 days.. i will definitely verfiy the number of days when this peel begins. My face is tight right now but no peeling.... I am guessing it will begin to peel a little tomorrow and a lot on sat. and sunday and finish up by monday. but like i said, i will let u know for sure when it happens! i'll try to update this thread every day with this peel so u know what to expect! talk to u soon!

Old 07-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #13

just_imagine HB User

Hey girls, if you are still around reading this board...I just wanted to let you know how much this thread has helped me!! I just came across it and I really needed advice, seeing as I just had my first Beta Peel (at the office I go to, they just call it a salicylic peel) this morning. Oh my god, it burned SO BAD, it almost brought tears to my eyes. It's been a couple hours and my skin still feels tight and a little sore in the areas where I'm broken out!

I'm a little nervous about the extent of the peeling because I have to go out tonight and I have to work for the next 5 days in a row (i'm a server in a nice restaurant so I can't exactly look like crap!!). Let's just hope my makeup will do the trick...

What did you girls use to wash your face to take your makeup off? They told me at the office I could wear makeup, but then also told me not to use my regular face wash for a week, only to use their special moisturizer and spalsh my face with water...so how the heck do I take my makeup off?!

Old 07-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

What kind of beta-peel did you get? I got a beta peel last week and my face was just red for about 8 hours and thatís it.

Old 07-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #15

just_imagine HB User

I had a 20% one, left on for probably only a minute or two...but it felt like soooo long because of the pain! Haha.

It's been 5 hours since and my skin is a lot less red and swollen, and it's very tight and dry, my pores look very tight... I'm kind of hoping for a bit of flaking to reduce my scars and exisiting pimples.

Closed Thread