It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2003, 09:19 PM   #1

koden HB User
Question really stupid question

to anyone who reads this; i am totally clueless as to how makeup or anything else can cover up acne. that sounds really pathetic cos i'm a teenage girl but i have never had any interest whatsoever in makeup or fashion. i'm not a slob or anything or what other people might consider a nerd but i couldn't care less. anyway, i've always wondered how makeup can make people with acne look like they have clear skin without clogging pores & making it worse. i don't plan to start using makeup but i'm just curious how it works

Old 03-11-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

GinaLee HB User
Makeup helps to reduce the redness caused by the acne. A yellow-based cover cream or stick works wonders with hiding redness or blotchy skin. It also minimizes the severity of how bad it looks on the face. It obviously cannot make the bumps disappear but it does quite a bit for the individual to have people looking into their eyes when being spoken to rather than the "third eye" growing in the middle of the forehead. Also, some makeups have alcohol or something similar in the ingredients that helped to dry the pimple quicker.

------------------
Gina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2003, 10:32 PM   #3

established420 HB User
hey- i'm also a teenage girl, i don't like wearing foundation that much either, but i do like doing eyemake up and stuff.....so i know a lot about it i guess. okay, first of all you have to pick the right foundation- if you have acne prone skin, as i'm guessing most people here do, you need to pick one that is both non-comedogenic and oil-free. i personally use clinique "stay true makeup oil free formula" and really like it, it does not make me break out at all, and gives a really nice matte finish,it is $17- a little expensive- but it does use good ingredients, which is the most important thing when you are putting anything on your skin- especially something that is going to stay on there all day long. i'm sure you can find other foundations in the drug store that are less expensive, you just have to look around and find one that meets your personal needs, i had good luck and coverage with physicians formula products also, which are a lot less expensive......now, to apply the make up. i hope i'm not schooling you on something you already know how to do- just from your post i gathered you needed the total breakdown......so if you don't, i guess you can stop reading this now. anyways, to apply the makeup i use either cosmetic sponges or a small makeup brush. use the brush to put a small amount of the foundation on a acne spot, or use the sponge- dabbing in a cicular motion- to cover a greater area. some people prefer to put the foundation all-over on their whole face, i just like to use it for spot treatment, who knows which is better....some people also like to end with some powder to set the makeup- i only do this for a special occasion usually, cause i figure one less thing on my skin- the better if at all possible.....i've also heard people recommend some sort of green stick thing that you can put on red spots before the foundation that makes them less noticeable since red and green are compliments i guess,i personally haven't used one of these though, so i really couldn't say how it works. hope this helps, good luck! and also, even though you said you don't like to wear make up, sometimes i like to play up my eyes or lips say just to try to draw attention away from my skin......vain, but sometimes it helps.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #4

established420 HB User
wow-sorry, i just wrote that whole thing then re-read ur post and saw the last line that i missed about your not wanting to use makeup anyways, so i guess what i just wrote was worthelss- sorry!

Old 03-12-2003, 04:59 AM   #5

Forcefed4 HB User
I am a guy, so I don't wear makeup, and my wife doesn't wear much makeup, so I never knew how WELL makeup can hide acne.

I was at the gym at work, and I saw a woman who I had seen for many years around work. Her skin always looked good when I saw her before. But, she must have washed off her makeup to work out, and I couldn't BELIEVE how bad her acne really was! It was very hormonal, along her jawline and all. (for the record, I obviously do not have a problem with her having acne, since I suffer from it myself...I was just amazed that the makeup made her face look completely flawless when in fact her acne was 10 times worse than mine).

Since this revelation I realized ALL the people you see on TV could hide significant acne with makeup. I just never realized how well it could work.

And NO, I don't plan on using makeup on my face. I have learned to accept that my hereditary acne will be with me forever.

Kev

[This message has been edited by Forcefed4 (edited 03-12-2003).]

Old 03-12-2003, 07:42 PM   #6

koden HB User
Question

that's cool; it may come in handy if i ever decide to try some. actually, i've never used any kind of makeup before, not even lipstick or eyeshadow. sometimes i almost wish i knew how cos the bumps on my forehead make it look red & blotchy sometimes but i don't know how to use it or have any. the only time there was makeup on my face was when my cousin & my neighbors used me as a guinea pig but i didn't like it on me & it got in my eyes. i'm almost twice the age of another of my cousins & she's crazy about the stuff & she's not even 10 years old. if i was still in school i might have considered using it but it doesn't bother me so much now but i wish it would leave. later

Closed Thread