It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #1

tiredofacne!!!!!!!!! HB User
Post Vitamin b5!!

I just wanted to say i've been using B5, for the last month and my skin has got so much better. I feel better every day. And previously i had tried absolutely everything, with marginal success here and there, but i'm really enjoying the B5.

[This message has been edited by tiredofacne!!!!!!!!! (edited 03-12-2003).]

Old 03-12-2003, 04:06 PM   #2

Melissa1 HB User
Can I ask what kind of acne you had before? Any cysts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2003, 06:11 PM   #3

Cur111 HB User
FWIW: B5 controls my oil and smaller acne "bumps" very nicely. Only zinc supplements and topical sulphur/resorcinol have eliminated my larger cystic acne.

~ Cur111

Old 03-12-2003, 08:54 PM   #4

Melissa1 HB User
Cur111--How much B5 do you take and how long before you saw an improvement? Also do you have hormonal acne? What about the zinc, how much do you take and why is it good for acne. One last thing do you get your topical from your derm?

Old 03-13-2003, 06:39 AM   #5

Cur111 HB User
Hi Melissa,

I'm a male in my thirties and I've had acne since I was 11, so how much hormones still play into it is anyone's guess. I take about 1 gram/per day of VitaCure B5, always first thing in the morning. I used to take 10g spread accross the day, but I eventually discovered that I didn't need that much - plus I didn't like the intestinal side-effects. I've found that the smaller acne pimple and oil return when I stop taking B5. I've tried this several times to confirm that. I've also noticed that the biggest player in controlling my deeper cystic acne is zinc. I take zinc gluconate 30mg per day. Again, I take the VitaCure because it also has a little copper in it. Supposedly, zinc competes with copper when it comes to your body's absorption, so taking zinc can sometimes cause a deficiency in copper. BTW: There was one study demonstrating that zinc supplements are as effective as tetracycline in controlling acne. If you decide to try zinc, don't take more than 75mg (IMO), and certainly not more than 100mg per day. Do a little research on the dosages to confirm that. I found no benefit past 30mg. Also, zinc can upset your stomach very easily. In my experience, taking it with food doesn't help, but taking it with a full glass of water, juice, etc., takes care of any problems. Lately I've been experimenting with zinc lozenges (10mg), spread accross the day. So far, so good.

FWIW: The best topicals I have found? - 100% aloe vera gel every morning. Acnomel Suplhur/Resorcinol twice a week. Clearisil also makes a sulphur/resorcinol product. I'm completely happy with my complexion now. Good Luck!

~ Cur111

Old 03-13-2003, 06:42 AM   #6

Cur111 HB User
BTW: It took about two weeks before I really noiticed that I wasn't getting any new acne lesions. However, I've always taken B5 with zinc, even when I started out. BTW: I think AcneMiracle has a B5 formulation that includes zinc.

Old 03-13-2003, 09:27 AM   #7

Aziz HB User
I have been on b5 for a month 10 gram/day and didn't see any improvement or oil decrease
can you tell me why ?

Old 03-13-2003, 09:28 AM   #8

Aziz HB User
I have horomonal acne ...and I also take b-complex and multi-vitamin

Closed Thread