It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2003, 05:52 PM   #1

Killjoy HB User
Post had 1st microdermabrasion today

I've finally decided to take a more aggressive approach with my acne since nothing else seems to work. I know it's a lot of money, but i'm getting a series of microderm (md) and photorejuvinations done (over a 5 to 6 month period). I'm not expecting miracles, but considering how much i'm spending i'd better see some results.

I have some deep scars/pitting on my cheeks, hyperpigmentation, my skin always looks red, and i have a few active cysts. My skin tone is olive/brown and very sensitive so i can't go the laser route. I always seem to break out in the same areas (mostly jawline) and have been on accutane before (twice actually!).

After the first session i've noticed my skin to be somewhat redder and feels more sensitive. It's only my first one, but my skin does seem a little smoother, however no change in the scarring yet...but i'll try to be positive. I can keep posting my progression if anyone is interested, maybe it will help you guys make a decision.

[This message has been edited by Killjoy (edited 02-15-2003).]

Old 02-07-2003, 08:04 PM   #2

SpangledWinter HB User
Yes I would love it if you keep us posted. Good luck with your results. This is something Ive actually been considering for some time...I just want to wait til Im somewhat blemish free. My mom had a series of 5 treatments and her skin looked flawless afterwards. Please keep me updated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #3

brammerkm HB User
I bought 6 microderm peels, and I just didn't think they were worth it. I got the same effects from Retin-A .1% that I ordered on the web, and I could control the redness and peeling according to when and how much I used.

Old 02-08-2003, 04:43 PM   #4

CocaCola HB User
Good for you Killjoy! You'll have to let me know how they go. I've been thinking about getting them done as well. Do you have blackheads? I'm curious to know if they improve the pores.

Old 02-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #5

Killjoy HB User
I'm thinking it could end up being a major waste of money...but i'm desperate and i know it would bother me more if i don't try - unfortunately that's what it's come to. What's the point anyways, most weekends i stay home so whatever money i don't spend going out i'll use for this. Kind of a stupid way to rationalize things, but i don't care anymore.

Oh, by the way, i don't have any blackheads, just get mostly cysts (the big suckers) on my cheeks, they always seem to recur in the same spots and leave nasty scars. At the moment i have 2 big cysts on my right cheek.

I know acne is caused by hair follicles, as i've noticed there is one area on my face where i shave and the hair seems to be deeper under my skin (not ingrown thought) and that's where i've been breaking out constantly. So i was thinking, what if you get hair removal, wouldn't this theoretically help reduce the acne?? Just a thought.

Old 02-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #6

CocaCola HB User
Killjoy, I've heard people say that when they shave their face sometimes little whiteheads pop up. Could the red bumps you get be a reaction to the shaving cream or whatever you use? Perhaps try something else, but I'm not too sure.

You can always try dipilataries (I have no idea how to spell it...it's the stuff that makes your hair dissolve) or waxing. If your a female I'd recommend waxing or bleaching...or even permanent hair removal. I suppose a guy could use these methods too though.
Good luck.

Old 02-09-2003, 04:33 PM   #7

Killjoy HB User
Coca cola, i'm a guy so i'd have to look into permanent hair removal. I use an electric razor for my face, but have to use a razor for the neck area. i guess from early on i didn't shave the right way and the hair is kinda growing in different directions. The bigger problem is on the right side (lower cheek area to the right of the mouth). The guy i'm getting the micro from said that the photorejuvination laser thing also removes removes hair so i'll wait till then to see if it helps.

Old 02-15-2003, 05:42 PM   #8

Killjoy HB User
Update for those who may be interested:

After my first micro I noticed that my skin seemed a little smoother (especially that problem area on my cheek where I shave) and I didn't really get any major new breakouts. Also, it seems to have helped a little with the redness and existing red marks. However, no real change with the deeper scars.

I also had another micro done on thursay night (Feb 13) and after this one pretty much the same thing, a very slight improvement in some of the scarring...again no major breakouts yet which is pretty good (just a few small ones that popped up today - hopefully none of them turn into cysts).

So if you are thinking of getting even 1 or 2 micro's I would recommend it. Don't expect much, but I think it will help with some red marks and a little with hyperpigmentation. It may also help calm down the existing breakouts. It's worth a shot. Let me know if I should keep posting as my treatments progress. Hope this helps!!

Old 02-15-2003, 09:29 PM   #9

SpangledWinter HB User
Yes please keep us posted. Im still considering this. My mom says it takes about 5 to 6 times getting it done to really see any kind of result. Im going to do it once my face clears up a bit. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2003, 07:05 AM   #10

bella_victory HB User
I had five microdermabrasion treatments. I wanted to get rid of some red marks on my face from old acne and prevent new acne. The treatments did succeed in diminishing the red marks and my face was really smooth. However, after treatment, my breakouts continued and I now have new red marks to deal with. I think microdermabrasion is worthwile for someone once you have your acne under control. Good luck with treatment.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:09 PM   #11

CocaCola HB User
Killjoy please continue with your progress reports. I'm very seriously interested in getting them done and its nice to hear from someone who has gotten them.

How many more are you getting done?

Old 03-07-2003, 05:56 PM   #12

pbear8 HB User
Hi there,

Just wondered if you had any updates for us : )

pbear

Old 03-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #13

lisa411 HB User
killjoy,

is it true that ppl with olive brown skin shouldnt get microdermabrasion..did ur doctor say anything about hyperpigmentation..what is ur nationality..im east indain and they told me it wasnt a good idea..ugh..

Old 03-09-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
(male)

mybabygs3 HB User
lisa411,

Microdermabrasion is great for any type of skin color. I believe it is dermabrasion you are speaking about.

killjoy,

Sorry to say but microdermabrasion will not help with the pitted scarring. If that's your most concern, you should try cool-touch - which will stimulate collagen growth and help a little. There are also injections such as collagen, restalyn (sp?), artecoll, etc.

Old 03-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #15

reeny HB User
Microdermabrasion did not help remove my small pitted scars. That was my goal, so unfortunately it was a waste of $$$ for me.

Closed Thread