It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #1

TifaStrife16 HB User
Progressively Worse Acne....ITCHY

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about my acne.

First of all, is I used to have acne breakouts from time to time around my periods, but in the past 2 months it has gonna dramatically worse - as in the breakouts are constant and it has spread to my chest and back.

I know that everyone says 'do not touch or pick acne'. It is very difficult for me becuase my acne ITCHES so terribly...I try not to scratch it, but I find it hard for me to concentrate on things with this itchy sensation constantly on my chest and back. Presumably this scratching will aggravate my acne? Is it normal for acne to be SO itchy? I'm not using any acne treatments on my back/chest acne, only on my face acne (not that its working), so is it just the acne itself that is so itchy, or is it another skin problem? The itchiness only first started when I first started getting acne on my back.

Any advice or speculations appreciated!

Old 01-03-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
(male)

Karl2 HB User
Re: Progressively Worse Acne....ITCHY

Hi,

Are you itchy on other parts of your body that are not acne affected - you know like your scalp, arms, etc; even if only slight, have you noticed this? I began a thread called Itchy skin and high carbing, which you may be interested in. A lot of people on this board are of the view that the ingesting of too many refined carbohydrates/starches/sugars invariably leads to acne, therefore diet = acne. The rationale behind this theory is that your cells can only make use of so much glucose, any excess glucose which your cells cannot uptake leads to hormonal disorders in short.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 03:02 PM   #3

TifaStrife16 HB User

I have experienced very mild itchiness of the scalp, but I think it's just dandruff because I see little white flakes. I'd try to get rid of it, but dandruff shampoos smell so awful.

And I'll check out your thread on carbs and itchiness. I just wonder though if diet could be causing my acne to worsen when I have had no major changes in diet over the past few months. Is it possible that the acne is the cause of the itchiness? I get itches, and the area where it itches, I can see a zit starting.

Old 01-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
(male)

Karl2 HB User

In regards to your diet remaining the same and the acne eruption query - yes, this seemingly happens to many people, so they tend to discredit any possible causal link between diet and acne. The acne may very well be the cause of your itchiness.

Old 01-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #5

MelloVball HB User

What it might be...for me, I was using so much topicals and soaps to dry it all out, that made it itch horribly. Also, my skin was flaking off. That might be it.

Old 01-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I find acne to be very itchy sometimes. And yes, it is extremely hard to resist scratching. But I know from experience that scratching isn't the answer. This might sound extreme, but one of the reasons I quit my job a fortnight ago was because I was sick of the itchiness. I could resist scratching for a while but eventually caved in and scratched like a cat at a post, which just caused further outbreaks. Try to manage itchiness by being in a situation whereby you can wash your skin regularly (or just when it itches) and apply a soothing lotion. I used to find acne on my back was the worst. Miraculously my first course of Roaccutane saw my backne off but I still remember the sleepless nights caused by it. It didn't help that my girlfriend and I slept together in my single bed at uni that wasn't even a proper sized single. Irony of ironies, I now have a king-size double, no backne, but no girlfriend

Old 01-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #7

TifaStrife16 HB User

I've been thinking that a possible cause for my recent breakout of acne was that I've never used soap on my back because it is so hard to get my hair out of the way (my hair covers my entire back), so I got a body cleanser to try and use and pay attention to my back, as difficult as it is to do.

As far as itching goes, I just took a shower and washed my back thoroughly and the itching is gone Unfortunately I don't think it'd be that great for my hair to take more than 1 shower a day, but it would probably make the itching subside...

And to clarify I don't have very bad back acne. I think I have maybe 4 big zits, and a few more small bumps. Therefore I am skeptical whether or not it IS actually the acne causing the itching, because I really don't have that much of it.

Thanks for your replies!

Old 01-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Most of the acne I had that itched were cystic acne. Ones in weird places, like jawlines, always itched the most for me.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:32 AM   #9

TifaStrife16 HB User

Hmm. My facial acne rarely itches, unless a medicine I've been using dries my skin out a lot. And I've never had cystic acne. I just have those tiny little white bumps that turn red once they dry up. Most of mine aren't even poppable, not that I usually pop. I think I've only had maybe 4 poppable pimpes in the last year.

Old 01-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran

camden HB User

You mentioned that you have dandruff. It may not be dandruff, but a dry scalp that flakes because you scratch it. I also have this and had been using head and shoulders for itchy scalp, it smells great and is one of the best shampoos I have ever used!

You may wonder what this has to do with your acne, so here it goes. When I first found this sight there was a post about Head and Shoulders and acne. Some people swore by it for acne and since I had an itchy flaky scalp I thought it might help my back and chest acne, I also purchased some Neutrogena body wash for acne. Since I was using both products I couldn't tell which one had done the job. Well the body wash was gone for months and still no acne, that is, until I ran out of head and shoulders and opted for a different shampoo. The acne is now back and I will be buying some head and shoulders very soon. I also put a little in my palm, work into a lather and leave on my acne prone chin for a couple minutes every few days(more than that and my face tends to become very dry). I do not wash my back or chest with the shampoo but the amount that gets on my skin from washing my hair does the trick.

You may also want to consider the conditioner that you use. Pantene gives me very bad acne, especially since I like to leave the conditioner on for a couple of minutes and my hair sits against my back during this time. Dove seems to work okay and so do the Aussie conditioners(I should also note that I was not using head and shoulders when I was using the Pantene and I was with the other two).

Old 01-04-2004, 05:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Aussie Smoothmate - good for the hair, thanks for reminding me I should also try Head & Shoulders sometime - people always mention it in relation to acne.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #12
(male)

dcruthirds HB User

sounds like pityrosporum folliculitis to me

Acne is not itchy.

Pityrosporum folliculitis is a condition where the yeast, pityrosporum ovale/orbicularis spp. (also called Malassezia furfur), gets down into the hair follicles and multiplies, setting up an itchy, acne-like eruption.

This yeast is a normal skin inhabitant, different from the yeast which causes thrush and from baker's or food yeast. Everyone has it on their skin but in most cases it causes no problem. The condition affects young to middle-aged adults of either sex. It is associated with a tendency to seborrhoeic dermatitis or severe dandruff.

The rash consists of tiny itchy dome-shaped pink papules with an intermingling of small pustules. The spots are located mainly on the upper back, shoulders and chest. Sometimes spots are found on the forearms, back of the hands, lower legs and face. The tendency to scratch spots is greatest on the forearms, face and scalp. Most patients have oily skins.

Closed Thread