It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #1

lazloe HB User
Masturbation and <my> Acne (I'm positive there is a link)

Alright. I know there are going to be lots of posts about how masturbation (according to all the physicians) is not linked with acne at all and never will be that's the end of the story, period, stop, no, stop talking, etc.

Well, I've done some experimenting over the last months, and I'm almost positive that masturbation is a cause of my acne. This last month of testing has been the most 'conclusive'.

December 10, my skin was clear! I looked awesome, and there wasn't a pimple in sight, only a couple old scars. I hadn't masturbated in 2 weeks, and my skin stayed clear for that whole week.

The trick to not masturbating for me was just getting so much exercise that I'd get home, take a shower, do homework, and then flop down on my bed and be asleep in an instant.

Then winter break hit. Ugh.
I couldn't help myself, and had masturbated 4 times in 5 days. The result was awful.

It is now January 5th. I haven't masturbated in 4 days now, and my face is beginning to improve, but for the last part of December my face looked like the DMZ. I had a 10+ major pimple break out with 4 cysts, and a whole cluster of them on my forehead and around my hairline.

Tonight, after washing my face, the redness is receding and some of the lumps are starting to go down, but that's because I haven't masturbated in 4 days.

I know masturbation is a healthy natural thing, but I can't help but feel that it is definitley the cause of my acne. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I'd like to add, that my daily routine remained the same. Washing once in the a.m. and then once in the p.m. before bed.

Can anyone sympathize with me? I go to a dermatologist regularly, and she keeps wanting to prescribe me an antibiotic to help, but my pediatrician really wants me to avoid antibiotic use. Why? Because I'm allergic to penicillin and some of its off shoots, meaning I can only use Z-pack and some other antis. If I become allergic or develope an immunity to that small group of anitbiotics that are effective then I could be in serious trouble if I ever got a real infection, etc.

So, I'm not willing to possibly risk my life for cosmetic purposes, but this is getting really bad. I've gotten so use to masturbating that when I can stand to not go for 2-3 weeks I feel much better aobut my face, but I also get tremendous urges (especially when I don't do any running, lifting, sports, etc).

It's really tough to not masturbate, but it can be even worse to have to deal with looking like frankenstein.

I've read about hormonal imbalance being a cause of acne, and that masturbation can cause spikes in hormone levels. If that's true, then isn't that the medical proof that masturbation can effect acne?

One last question. I've always associated hormonal imbalance with mood swinging people, depression, etc. but I've never been anything but a straight and level guy. Never really prone to depression, etc.

I've read a lot of stuff and I don't know what to weed out as garbage and what to take as the truth. Right now I'm going to facials for my skin (which only help when I don't masturbate), that can be really painful (high frequency electrical wand + different coats of stuff + the needles and pimples popping, etc.).

I'm to embarassed to tell my dermatologist what I think the cause of my acne is (masturbation), because I'm afraid she'll laugh at me and feed me the answer I've gotten from health websites, etc. Always something along the lines of, "Masturbation is perfectly healthy and does not effect acne."

Can anyone answer any of my numerous questions that have been hidden in this very long rant? (Sorry)

Thanks,
Laz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 10:29 PM   #2

MelloVball HB User
Re: Masturbation and <my> Acne (I'm positive there is a link)

I definately say I agree with you, I doubt it can be the only cause in me. The only thing I could say would be the hormonal change from masturbation. What I don't understand is it helps relieve stress, stress leads to acne, so...wouldn't it HELP acne? That is a good question, I am sure that is a link somehow. Have you tried masturbating regularly (like not going for a couple weeks, then quitting) maybe it's the initial hormonal change that's so drastic, but once your body's hormones get regulated, it will clear up? I would say it may be embarassing, but I am sure your derm has heard worse, I definately don't think it's stupid or anything.

And about hormonal changes, and you saying you aren't depressed easily and what not, I don't think that's the only case, I am sure you can have hormonal changes and not nessicarily have the highs and lows. I am not sure on any of this, but goodluck, if you find out more be sure to post your findings!

Old 01-05-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

yes there is a connection. I don't think sex or masturbation GIVES people acne, but it could worsen acne or any illness. Of course, anything seemingly sexually restrictive or not permissive or accepting is tabboo over here. You'd think it'd be the other way around but it's not...just like food. Masturbation, like sex, is a nutritional burden and is hormonal by its nature. It also affects the nervous system. It is more of a burden for a male body than a female one, though, still these are some reasons why I do not masturbate either.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:42 PM   #4

hancho HB User

ok from my experience

when i first started to get acne, i stopped masterbating, then i realize a slight improvement but as i got older, when i stopped masterbating, i still get acne. This is yet another situation where it depends on the person. Some may get affected while others may not. So if you know you breakout from masterbation, and looks is very important but still need to release sexual tension, i would masterbate maybe once a week.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #5

lazloe HB User

Thanks for the support everyone! I didn't think anyone else had the same problem that I did. I'm still looking for more replies and possible answers to those questions!

Anyways, I'm also working on solutions for my acne. I'm trying the aspirin mask as we speak (we'll see if that works), and the problem is that I don't know if something works unless I masturbate and try it at the same time. So I'll be miserable this week (from masturbating, which should be healthy right?).

It's very strange, because... it goes like this...

I fight off the urge to masturbate for weeks. Then I watch some TV show (last one was a Playboy Mansion tour on VH1 or something) and then the urge gets to much. I masturbate, and it feels great! I love it!

About 15 seconds after I'm done I get this creeping sense of dread. First, I feel guilty for masturbating, and then I get paranoid about face oil, etc, because I know that the pimples are coming.

That's not typical behavior, is it? My friend, who talks about "spanking the plank" all the time never seems to feel any remorse from masturbating, but I practically want to cry afterwards.

I started this post talking about not ever feeling depressed, etc, but now that I examine my habits more thoroughly I've come to the conclusion that: yes, in fact, I can feel pretty wierd after masturbating. Everything from extreme joy to a deep dark depression (mostly stemming from the fact that I know pimples are coming!).

Anyone, anyone? Buehler? Buehler? =P

Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
Inactive

prometheus HB User

the stress from feeling guilty or upset or afraid of impending doom could make it worse too. If you're going to do it, resolve before hand what your thoughts will be afterwards. I wish I could give you advice on how to not, but it was never that difficult for me. My sex drive is nonexistent.

Have you tried meditation? That could balance the negative effects of any stress you may have.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-05-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

from what iv'e heard masterbation brings your eventual breakout to its peak its highest as worse as it can be for when u break out, so prometheus is probably correct.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Dude, when you get your urges try to release the tension through exercise. As you already said yourself, exercise will tire you out and it will also get your endorphines firing which is similar to the rush you get from sexual activity but without the feeling of guilt afterwards. I know the feeling you mean because I even used to experience it after sex in a perfectly healthy relationship - it's a natural comedown that you won't experience with exercise. If you're convinced there's a link then always remind yourself that you want clearer skin.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:37 AM   #9
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Talk about paradox; we have to watch what we eat for fear of upsetting our delicate hormones - we have to avoid sex, or a least keep it to a minimum for fear of upsetting our hormones. Hormones exist for the sole purpose of having sex, that is to say, the continuation of human kind.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

To be fair we are talking about masturbation here

Old 01-06-2004, 11:16 AM   #11
Inactive

prometheus HB User

"Hormones exist for the sole purpose of having sex, that is to say, the continuation of human kind"

Yes but I don't exist for the sole purpose of having sex. Hormones may exist for the sole purpose of having sex, but we don't exist for the sole purpose of having sex. This is a spiritual world and an intellectual world as well as it is a physical world. Abstaining from sexual activity is an option but it is not the only option and because of that it is not a necessary one. Personally, I abstain because I don't feel I need to and because I have other health and spiritual-related issues that could benefit from the unnecessary expenditure of energy, and besides, if you look at it from the point of view of the continuation of our human species, it really is unnecessary unless you are married and trying to have children (in other words why have sex or upset your hormones or even have hormones if you aren't trying to have children, since hormones only exist for the purpose of the continuation of our species? If you are having sex with contraceptives, or masturbation, then you are having sex for the pure physical and intellectual pleasure of it and not honoring the sole purpose of hormones either ) You'd have to look at it from another point of view to make it a necessity.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-06-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
"Hormones exist for the sole purpose of having sex, that is to say, the continuation of human kind"

Yes but I don't exist for the sole purpose of having sex. Hormones may exist for the sole purpose of having sex, but we don't exist for the sole purpose of having sex. This is a spiritual world and an intellectual world as well as it is a physical world. Abstaining from sexual activity is an option but it is not the only option and because of that it is not a necessary one. Personally, I abstain because I don't feel I need to and because I have other health and spiritual-related issues that could benefit from the unnecessary expenditure of energy, and besides, if you look at it from the point of view of the continuation of our human species, it really is unnecessary unless you are married and trying to have children. You'd have to look at it from another point of view to make it a necessity.
it's called fun prometheus, maybe one day u will be like the other experts at this board, who know what to do, but also induce their own sense of fun into things, i have yet to see a post were u have done the same..

Sex can be a healthy activity also prom, lighten up a bit man, do u think u dont feel the need to ha sex because your scared of it? or what, explain please.

Last edited by Vortex773310; 01-06-2004 at 11:34 AM.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #13
Inactive

prometheus HB User

I have no idea what you mean, Vortex. This isn't fun? I may know some things, but I'm definitely not an expert.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #14
Inactive

prometheus HB User

No I actually have a very low sex drive, to say the least. That is why I don't feel I need to. I also understand the expenditure of energy, spiritual, nutritive, and otherwise that goes into having sex. It's just a choice.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-06-2004 at 11:37 AM.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

not an expert as such but i mean people like sweetjade and sunfell, i mean they wouldnt be so strict with thei rdiet recommendations and it would have the same outcome as yours..u just seem to be so strict sometimes..and dont take into account the peoples feelings, like the brown bread thing, brown bread is healthy for you, no matter what u say, PROPER brown bread is, anyway, high in fibre, and allsorts of other goodies.and im told i cant eat even this?, even in small quantities? surely its better than burger and chips which my mum would usually cook? and bear in mind if ther is any badness its balanced out by 5 or 6 apples i eat at night and a further 5 litres of Free room temperature water, with a load of salad too.

Closed Thread