It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Unhappy Make up Junkie-addicted and tired of it!

Maybe one day I'll just walk to my kid's bus stop with only lipgloss on. Yeah, right. Maybe one day if the doorbell rings unexpectedly, I won't run for some face powder. I've learned to perfect my makeup so well, and fake flawless skin, but one day will I ever have it? Does anyone wish they didn't have to put on their masks during the day? I'm sick of it!

Old 03-11-2003, 11:31 AM   #2

ShadyLady482 HB User
I can totally relate. I'm in college, and some days when I wake up late, I'd rather be late to class than risk not taking enough time to put on concealer. I'd love to be able to decide to work out without having to dread showering and having to go through covering everything up again later... or have one of my friends say 'do you want to go do this' and just be ready to go. I'm like you, where over the years I've gotten skilled enough with the concealer to fool a lot of people into thinking I have good skin, and once my boyfriend actually asked me why, if I could cover it up well enough, I cared if my skin was actually flawless or not. I was so dumbfounded I didn't even know how to answer that question; how is that even a choice?? Maybe someday I'll look normal enough where I can just always be ready to go... *sigh*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2003, 12:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
i can so relate to that! I don't wear a lot of makeup, but i am never, ever outside the house without swabbing some liquid powder around. I want to just wake up, splash water and go. I hate how high maintenance my skin is.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:46 PM   #4

CocaCola HB User
Dude, I totally know how you feel. Or I should say, used to. When I was about 10, I started wearing coverup to hide my acne. Having bad skin at such a young age totally destroyed my confidence level. On one hand, I tried not to pay much attention to my face but at the same time all I wanted to do was hide myself. No matter where I went, I always put on my concealer and powder. If I had a basketball game, on went the concealer. If I was going to work out, I would wear make up. This went on for years.

I think as I've gotten older though, I've tried to accept my skin the way it is. I know I'll never have that perfect porcelain skin I used to always wish for, even though I still secretly wish for the product that will be a miracle worker on my skin. I'm 21 now, and my skin still breaks out and I have terrible blackheads all across my t-zone. I stopped wearing make up towards the end of high school. It was very tough. But, I knew that my friends were not going to stop being my friends because of my skin condition. I also think that as I've gotten older, as image conscious as we are, in the end it doesn't really matter. A person's personality means so much more to me than what they look like. I figure that if I feel this way, then surely there are other people who do as well. Even though acne is devasting for most people, it probably isn't that big a deal to other people. It's hard to let go of our mask, but I think at some point we all should take a break and try to liberate ourselves without the make-up.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

too old for this HB User
I started wearing foundation around age 16. I would never, and I mean NEVER, allow myself to be seen in public without it. If something urgent was going on it would just have to wait until I did my makeup. Pathetic, I know. My acne was moderate, I guess, not severe, though to me it felt like the worst thing in the world.

The first time I allowed myself to be seen in public without it was about 2 years ago. My skin was looking better, I was in a new relationship and so had higher self-esteem, and I just said screw it. It was scary but liberating.

Now I'll sometimes not wear it on weekends if I'm just doing errands and such. Sometimes I just get so tired of putting makeup on that I'd rather just skip it and let people see the imperfections. I've even gotten the courage to wash my face after a workout at the gym in front of everyone. There are times when my skin is acting up and it's hard to see my skin without cover, but I can manage it. I do still wear it to work, always.

Old 03-12-2003, 01:06 AM   #6

spothater HB User
oh man i thought i was the only one. sometimes it feels that way. the natural way some women have about looking at least normal. i see pictures of myself with my makeup worn off or something and it's hideous. i wish it werent. i hate foundation and i stopped wearing it after i got laid off last august. i still use powder and a tinted benzoyl peroxide but...i just hated foundation and was a slave to it for so long. i still look for it when i go to the store. the latest hype. what's new. what miracle foundation will they come up with next. it never happens. the carrot keeps a danglin'.

Old 03-12-2003, 06:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Thumbs up

Whoa!!! So it's not just THIS clown wearing a mask everyday...it's all you guys too. Glad I'm not alone! Would love to share a vacation home with friends, but dont want them to see me at the breakfast table in my nightie and my REAL face. The scenarios are endless. Thanks for the support...but I still HATE this!!!

Old 03-12-2003, 08:03 AM   #8
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
This is a no-win situation. I know what it's like to hate your skin and want to cover it. Just make sure you pick the right color foundation and concealer from a pro. If you want to wean off of it like I did, just try not wearing it on weekends but stay home, and then just use concealer. I don't think you need to have a goal of being bare faced at work. I've never seen perfect skin on a woman after taking her makeup off...you know?? Just have a goal of wearing light light liht.
Right now I only get random small zits...but to me that is very annoying so I can relate (especially because 2 years ago I had a huge random attack that lasted months)

Old 03-12-2003, 11:43 AM   #9

meandmyzits HB User
Now I know I am not the only one. I hate make-up. I want to quit wearing it, but I am so insecure without it. I hate how my acne looks. When I don't put on make-up I won't go anywhere. I like to run and workout and being outside doing is something that I just have to have to survive, but my acne gets in the way of my life and living it. I see women with clear skin and I get so envious and wish it was me. I hate being high maitenance I feel such a prisoner.

Old 03-12-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Ahh same here! I hate wearing makeup but I can't leave home without it. Sometimes it screws round with my social life cos I have to stop and put makeup on when everyones out having fun already. At sport its even worse...I freak about wearing it because it might run when I get sweaty......man I hope my skins great one day.....

Old 03-13-2003, 03:02 PM   #11

CocaCola HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by DeeDeeWith3:
Would love to share a vacation home with friends, but dont want them to see me at the breakfast table in my nightie and my REAL face. The scenarios are endless.
DeeDee, I think you just gave yourself the answer right there. I'm sure sharing a vacation home with friends will not be bad like the scenarios that are playing in your head. After all you did use the word "friends". If they are indeed your friends then they shouldn't care what you look like, how you dress, etc. I know we all know this stuff, but I think that sometimes we forget just how accepting and amazing our friends are. Your friends probably won't care or make any big deal about seeing you without makeup. After all, they are still your friend today because of who you are (your personality) and not because of the makeup. So, take that vacation with your friends, have fun, and take lots of pictures! You can do it girl!!

Old 03-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #12

chloe? HB User
I also have had bad acne since i was 10. I'm 22 now and it has started to get a little better as time passes, but not much. I cannot go anywhere without wearing makeup and am sick of getting crap about it from people. Does anyone else ever hear over and over again, "why do you always have to put makeup on?" What an innately stupid question! I dont wear makeup because i like it, i wear it as to not scare little children when i go out... I feel like a disease victim. And if i go to visit relatives, i make sure that no one sees me from the time i get up to the time i put my makeup on, and this irritates people, having to wait for me. Sorry, just venting now. I guess its true that people judge themselves far worse then other people would. I personally couldnt care less if someone has acne or not, but then i think, if even I think this looks bad, and i'm use to it, then what are other people going to think. I would LOVE to never have to wear makeup again unless for the simple fact that i wanted to, but thank god that we have makeup now, at least i can feel somewhat normal.

Old 03-14-2003, 06:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
CocaCola: Thanks for the pep talk. You're a sweetie and you're right. Thanks.

chloe: You're cracking me up with the scaring of little children when you don't have make up on! At least this topic was good for a couple of laughs and reassurance to know that there are so many of US out there. I'd love to stay and chat but I gotta go put my face on, the doorbell just rang!

Old 03-14-2003, 07:09 AM   #14
Veteran

xKaShyLahx HB User
Cool

hey guys!
i can relate to all of you..i hate wearing make up!! I wish it was optional but, it's one of the main assesories in my life . My friends say im beautiful, and they say my skins so soft and smooth but..geez i don't know. I just hate when people make nasty comments like 'girls who wear make up are fake' etc..don't you?

~*Kashy*~

------------------
~*ººBaBi FaCeºº*~

~*ºWhatever happens, happens for a reason.º*~

Old 03-14-2003, 08:42 AM   #15

MiamiBarbie HB User
Hey ladies!
Just wanted to say...found the best makeup foundation in the world. It is by VICHY laboratories and does not feel like make up at all. The one I use, says, you should use a moisturizer with, but I don't and it is just great. It lasts the whole day, does not clogg your pores, it is oil free. Sometimes I use my almay powder over it, but you don't even have to. My skin looks natural and while I have it on my face, I will not break out the whole day. I got my bottle in France, it was like ten US dollars, but don't know whether they have it here in the states at all. Try it! It's fast and easy, just make sure, you use the right color that goes with your skintone....

Closed Thread