It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #1

trev511 HB User
liver and acne connection??

A lot of people say that getting acne is a connection with your liver not flushing out toxins well enough.

My question is that i have a very healthy liver but i get acne, what else do you think could be the cause or maybe if someone could just go in depth about this stuff, i would appreciate it very much.

I believe i have a good liver because when i was on accutane a while back my doctor was surprised with my blood test. Most people's tryglycerides and other stuff...(don't know the other names) go up while on accutane from the overload on the liver but mine stayed exactly the same while on accutane and the doc said i had a very strong and healthy liver. Any info. on whats happening would be great. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
(male)

Ratman HB User
Re: liver and acne connection??

Yeah, I'd like to see an explanation for this. I just stumbled across this post while doing a search on liver cleansing since I was thinking about it. My story is basically the same. I took accutane and my derm was surprised at my blood tests and she didn't even require me to take my last few monthly blood tests because everything was looking good. And I ate nothing but fast food all through junior high and high school.

Saw my reflection and cried
So little hope that I died

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #3

elsie9191 HB User

Someday, some scientist is going to figure out exactly what causes acne. My mom has psoriasis and has been seen by a couple of derms and all they did was keep giving her creams and lotions and all this greasy crap to put on her skin and it never went away just goes through stages of bad and not so bad. Recently, it was discovered, that is has nothing to do with dermatology whatsoever and it stems from the immune system. I am sure that someday, something like that will be discovered about acne. But in the meantime, the drug companies have no incentive for ever finding a cure. Acne is a multi BILLION dollar business. Never forget that.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
(male)

roxcyn HB User

Well it has already been found that the immunie system is the main cause for it, it was on a cool website I found, I cannot give it to you al sorry, not allowed to post sites, but it said that when the pore becomes blocked the bacteria on your skin start to grow inside it and then the immuine system attacks it and that is where there the puss comes from the pimple.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Hmm...well I think we all can clearly be "healthy" and yet still have some uknown health problem. My liver is healthy too in that sense. Yet, I do know that our hormones rely on our livers for production at some point.

Our livers, don't just detoxify, & metabolize drugs, but also produce the enzymes neccessary to convert our hormones into other hormones. It has the ability to break down fats. If something goes wrong, well you can only imagine what happens. If you don't produce enough bile to break down the fats, then you will have higher triglyceride levels. However, this may not show up in lab work, because our bodies can take those fats and convert them into acne producing hormones! Maybe this is why B5 works wonders for some of you.

If your body has an enzyme defect, then you may have additional physical symptoms such as obesity, fatigue, constipation, menstrual disorders, hirsutism, heart problems, etc. There's enzymes we rely on to produce cortisol, the energy hormone, that the liver provides. If we get too much cortisol, we can get acne from that. If we get too little cortisol we can also get acne. Reason being, our adrenal glands are another source of steroid hormone production outside of our reproductive glands. So if there's a defect in the pathway needed to produce cortisol, we can end up with excess Testosterone, etc. This can show up in lab work. They have to test you for Hypercortisolism, Cushings, Non-classical Adrenal Hyperplasia and similar adrenal disorders.

There's another possibilty, where there's a defect in aromatase production. Aromatase is what converts Testosterone into Estrogen. This is the natural process for things, so we all make Testosterone before we produce estrogen. So for those of us producing too much testosterone, are we really producing too much or is it that we can't produce enough estrogen??? This is something that can be detected. Of course, for most women the easy answer to this problem is Birth Control.

Another big one is that of retinoic acid. Our liver produces the enzymes necessary to convert Beta Carotene into Vitamin A. To convert Vitamin A into 13-cis-retinoic acid (natural accutane). Yet, I believe they say that acne sufferers are defficient in this Vitamin A and 13-cis-retinoic acid (reduces IGF-1). If that's the case, well it may be due to a defective enzymes that's needed in order to convert these two. I suppose being nearsighted, or having eye problems in general, may also be an indicator that you lack enough of this.

Acne sufferers are also said to be deficient in Glutathione, aids in liver health as well as reducing IGF-1 and cell growth. Oh, but the liver produces IGF-1 (more potent than Insulin) and is also responsible for producing the enzymes that convert Testosterone into DHT. So this can get rather complicated, LOL. Indeed, there's many enzymes that are waiting to be found, and one day I'm sure they will map those as well.

So, there's clearly lots of ways our liver can mess things up for us, if it in someway is not functioning 100%. You dont ever have to be a sick a day in your life, to still have an enzyme defect (also known for some as an Intolerance). Sometimes the defect is written in your genetic code and sometimes it's brought on due to something in the environment (food, toxins, drugs), that deactivated it. Nevertheless, we don't always have to fall victim to what is written in our genes. Usually by changing our environment, we can prevent or decrease such problems from occuring.

HTH =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 05-19-2004 at 11:23 PM.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #6
(male)

Ratman HB User

That was a very informative post sweetjade. I won't pretend I understood everything you said, at least not yet, but I understand most of it and it seems to make sense.

My next question is simply: What can be done about these malfunctioning enzymes? Would a liver cleanse help? Should I get tested for possible vitamin deficiencies?

I virtually never get sick, but I have noticed some changes in my body since I was younger. Not only has my eyesight gone bad (i can't see the board at the front of the classroom), but I seem to heal much slower than I used to. When I was 10 or 11, I scratched up the entire right side of my face in an accident while on vacation and I remember that a week later when I got home I barely had any "battle wounds" to show my friends because it had almost completely healed up. Now I get the smallest of scratches and not only do they take forever to heal, but I often gets scars from them. I often feel fatigued also. I feel tired most of the time and often sleep for 10+ hours.

Old 05-21-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
(male)

Ratman HB User

bump.....save me sweetjade.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Ratman,
LOL, I'm still trying to save myself....but I guess I can throw ya some sort of life line ;-)

I spoke to a nutritionist at school and she said that there's no way to test for nutrient deficiencies. OK, how are they discovering these then? I know that you can get a Metabolic Profile which will detect Magensium, Potassium, Sodium, Calcium. You can also get tests to detect anemias for Iron, B12, or Folic Acid.

Otherwise, your best guess and most affordable, would be to research on liver cleanses. I've run across people that did liver/gallbladder flushes and after 3 or so they noticed improvement in their skin and other symptoms. I forgot the name of the book, but it says that you can cure Diabetes, by just healing your liver and doing the flushes. Theoretically yeah. If you can heal your liver enough to where it's able to accept Insulin or not overaccept Insulin yeah. I'm not THE person to ask about all of this stuff. Altering your diet relieves some of the burden on your liver, but others have been able to do the cleanses to the point where they were able to add in certain misc. food items. So I'm contemplating about doing another flush (did one 2 years ago).

There's actually a sequence to doing these and the first step is altering your diet. the next step is doing a parasite cleanse. A lot of people don't think that they have parasites, but if you eat seafood, animal protein, or have pets...chances are you've got parasites. Some like to just live off of your nutrients causing you to be deffiencient (dry skin, brittle nails, fatigue, etc). Others will make you very sick. They can contribute to allergies and intolerances, and other diseases. Their eggs are microscopic so you may never notice them doing a cleanse. Yet those that were really sick saw them wrapped around stones they flushed from liver (ick)....they were dead though.

If that scares you, it did me (I quite in the middle of my parasite cleanse a few years back), you can be rest assured that it's normal in other countries to do this. Third world countries do this and I know that Japan does the yearly for all the school aged children. You don't have to get a parasite cleanse program, you can consume Garlic, Onion, Clove or other spices (fresh & raw) since these are VERY effective at killing them. You can also supplement with CoQ 10. Expensive stuff depending on where you get this, but it will also kill them. Oh and another product that is supposed to be good at chasing these away is Primal Defense (cheapest is $30) Probiotic supplement. I know some posters that loved this stuff for detoxing and it also happened to pass some parasites.

Anything sound interesting?

That's all I've got for now, HTH =)

Old 05-22-2004, 06:30 AM   #9

indy gal HB User

Quote:
There's actually a sequence to doing these and the first step is altering your diet. the next step is doing a parasite cleanse.
Don't forget the bowel cleanse! Actually I am doing this right now, and my results have been wonderful. First I altered my diet and started the bowel cleanse. Then I started the parasite cleanse and I have one week left to go. The last stage for me will be the liver cleanse.

I was scared too before I started and grossed out about the whole idea of having parasites in me, but things have gone rather well. I think the liver cleanse will be the biggie for me in terms of seeing clear skin for once and for all.

Last edited by indy gal; 05-22-2004 at 06:32 AM.

Old 05-22-2004, 02:32 PM   #10
(male)

Ratman HB User

SweetJade,

Stones flushed from liver? Exactly how are these stones flushed from your liver? Where do they pass through? Does it hurt?

Is the parasite cleanse done by taking pills like a liver cleanse or are you saying it's mostly done by changing your diet? Because in the last 6 months I've really cleaned up my diet. I barely drink anything but water and I practically don't eat fast food. I do have a lot of pets (2 dogs, 3 cats), so a parasite cleanse sounds like it might be beneficial to me.

If I went to a nutrition store, do you think they'd know about the parasite and liver cleanses and help me pick out the right stuff? How did you figure out what you needed to do? And more importantly, how did it go for you? How have the parasite and liver cleanses helped your skin and acne?

And how many times do you have to do cleanses? Is it a yearly thing like you say it is in Japan? How long does it take to do a liver or parasite cleanse? And what effects does a cleanse have on your health? Are there any aches or pains you suffer from while doing a cleanse?

And finally, what's up with the bowel cleanse? Should that be done too? And should it be done in the order IndyGal is doing it? Bowel, Parasite, then Liver?

P.S. Sorry about all the questions, it just looks like we've got some posters with experience in this stuff and I want to suck every bit of information out of all of you.

Old 05-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #11

indy gal HB User

Quote:
Is the parasite cleanse done by taking pills like a liver cleanse or are you saying it's mostly done by changing your diet? Because in the last 6 months I've really cleaned up my diet. I barely drink anything but water and I practically don't eat fast food. I do have a lot of pets (2 dogs, 3 cats), so a parasite cleanse sounds like it might be beneficial to me.
There are 3 herbs that are capable of killing off a big majority of parasites. You can buy them separately to make you own treatment, or the easier option is to buy Clarkia or Paragone at the health food store, which already contain all the ingredients you need. I am taking Paragone and it consists of pills and a tincture that you take over a 35 day period (15 days with the treatment, 5 day break, 15 more days).

Quote:
If I went to a nutrition store, do you think they'd know about the parasite and liver cleanses and help me pick out the right stuff? How did you figure out what you needed to do? And more importantly, how did it go for you? How have the parasite and liver cleanses helped your skin and acne?
It depends, some health food employees don't have a clue. The place I went, they guy had already done the cleanses and he knew what he was talking about. I figured out what I wanted to do by participating in the thread on this board called "It's Now or Never". There are a few of us in there who have been going through these cleanses together. It has been going well for me, and I have seen a huge improvement in my skin. The parasite cleanse does produce toxins (due to the die off), so you don't want to do a liver cleanse before or during the parasite cleanse. Because of these toxins I have experienced some minor pimples and headaches. Some people may experience a few flu-like symptoms.

None of us have done the liver cleanse yet, so I couldn't tell you anything about that... but we are getting pretty close to doing one some day soon! You might want to come check that post out (even though it may take you a few days to read through the whole thing!)

Closed Thread